Page 3 of 68 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by ShaokhaN View Post
    Spoilers ahead:

Am I the only one who thought Ultron was not a great villain? He started out strong, overtaking J.A.R.V.I.S., disseminating over the internet in order to build himself new bodies elsewhere, etc. But soon, he started with quips à la Tony Stark, which completely took me out of the movie. Seriously, enough with the non-stop quips already! I get that he was supposed to have aspects of Stark's mind within him, like J.A.R.V.I.S. (and like Ultron with Pym in the comics), but they could really have chosen another route than humourous remarks (which were frankly not that funny). They hurt his credibility as a villain, and even his demise was underwhelming (first with his "In hindsight..." line, then with his "Oh, for the love of God" line when Hulk boards the quinjet. Disappointing - I don't know how they managed to miss that this tendency to overuse one-liners would undermine this particular character.

ah its definitely not just you. its true he started out really cool, but then when you think about it, it was wanda's magic that did the most damage to the team. during the final battle, ultron himself didnt feel like a threat anymore (though because they did something to him). the threat was the floating island, even though it was because of ultron, but ultron himself just came out flat and easily dispatched. compared to Loki, Ultron just felt underwhelming. I loved the fight between him and cap though when they were in korea.

speaking of korea. talk about deus ex machina in that korean who healed clint. that really irked me. they had placed a character just to conveniently move the story, as soon as her use is done, poof. never mentioned again.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Ppl keep saying the hulk vs hulkbuster fight was in wakanda? They are just open to outsiders like any other country?
    honestly i couldn't tell. they were in a new york like city, all the civilians appear to be black, yet strangely all the police were white.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Ppl keep saying the hulk vs hulkbuster fight was in wakanda? They are just open to outsiders like any other country?
    spoilers:
    It was not in Wakanda. Wakanda is mentioned earlier as the country from which the Vibranium was stolen by Klaw (played by Andy Serkis).
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by ShaokhaN; 04-22-2015 at 06:34 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by daisetsu100 View Post
    honestly i couldn't tell. they were in a new york like city, all the civilians appear to be black, yet strangely all the police were white.
    Its South Africa. Cape Town, I presume maybe Johannesburg

spoilers:
    It was not in Wakanda. Wakanda is mentioned earlier as the country from which the Vibranium was stolen by Klaw (played by Andy Serkis).
    end of spoilers
    Ok people kept saying in wakanda. Alright makes more sense curious how klaw stole the vibranium given its the most secure contry in the world. Doubt man ape is running things partnering with klaw so im curious how he did it. Maybe hunting down klaw draws tchalla out putting him in the middle of the civil war. Too bad theres no storm so there could be a big wedding for everyone to calls a truce to attend.

Fantastic Member

ah its definitely not just you. its true he started out really cool, but then when you think about it, it was wanda's magic that did the most damage to the team. during the final battle, ultron himself didnt feel like a threat anymore (though because they did something to him). the threat was the floating island, even though it was because of ultron, but ultron himself just came out flat and easily dispatched. compared to Loki, Ultron just felt underwhelming. I loved the fight between him and cap though when they were in korea.

speaking of korea. talk about deus ex machina in that korean who healed clint. that really irked me. they had placed a character just to conveniently move the story, as soon as her use is done, poof. never mentioned again.
    Heal Clint... and introduce the means by which the Vision even came into existence. I mean that's a pretty crucial point of the film. They did well to NOT just have someone just mention 'oh by the way, there's a Korean lab that can grow synthetic flesh. Bet Ultron's heard of it as well!' and NOT have one of the two Science Bros just randomly be a super genius at yet another field of science. Which is something that did bug me, Stark was originally just a very very talented engineer and programmer, Banner was an expert on radiation (and THE expert on gamma radiation) but have somehow got to the stage where you could just straight up conjure a brand new field of technology and they'd be an expert on that too.

one of the things i realized is how much it has lost its light heart fun that the first movie had. it didnt go all gritty. just .. i dont know, less of the cool moments and humor?
    also the the action scenes, while awesome, became too much in the sense that... you can barely grasp what exactly is happening. all you know is that the avengers is kicking ass. but it just goes by. especially in the last quarter..and they were defending that thing. the Hulk vs IM was great though.

the JARVIS that we know, i suppose he's gone? as we have FRIDAY now..although it was shown stark had a lot of those.
    regarding Thor in the cave.. yeah i didnt get that... but it must have been something said between him and selvig.. but hell i couldnt hear well in the cinema
    That's my only gripe with an otherwise great film, it will need many rewatches (which it will get anyway) to appreciate the action. It's very hard work to know who is doing what on the first watch with the exception of the set pieces. The worry over Tony essentially being treated like the bad guy was unfounded. It was unbelievable luck and coincidence that Ultron actually gets created when you think about it. At no point does Tony put his personality into the AI, as far as he and Banner know they are way off any sort of success. I guess it's a combination of JARVIS' experience with Tony and Ultron getting his misguided purpose from him that leads to him coming out with some Stark like stuff.

It was nice to see Thor figuring some things out, coming back and backing Tony up. Shows that he is willing to change his perspective on right and wrong through educating himself. The twins were very cool. Wanda's potential is huge not to mention her character is what sets the whole thing off. She not only nearly breaks the team but plants the seed of Tony's deepest fear in the fore front of his mind.

With this and Daredevil Marvel have had a glorious April.

Just to add about Banner/Widow. I didn't mind it, they did have a kind of connection in the first. It's never implicitly stated that she and Clint ever had a romantic relationship, clearly they are very close because Natasha knows of and is close to his family. How long ago do you suppose Bruce last saw Betty? Cap said he's been unfrozen for five years, we can assume the last Hulk film took place just before that. People change and grow apart. This stuff is inspired by not following the comics. That's what makes it interesting otherwise you'd already know the story. I don't understand criticising one of these films just because it doesn't follow the comics exactly. You don't have to like it but I don't feel that "It's different to the comics, I know better!!!" is a good enough reason. It's actually a pretty boring one at this point.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dayle88 View Post
    Just to add about Banner/Widow. I didn't mind it, they did have a kind of connection in the first. It's never implicitly stated that she and Clint ever had a romantic relationship, clearly they are very close because Natasha knows of and is close to his family. How long ago do you suppose Bruce last saw Betty? Cap said he's been unfrozen for five years, we can assume the last Hulk film took place just before that. People change and grow apart. This stuff is inspired by not following the comics. That's what makes it interesting otherwise you'd already know the story. I don't understand criticising one of these films just because it doesn't follow the comics exactly. You don't have to like it but I don't feel that "It's different to the comics, I know better!!!" is a good enough reason. It's actually a pretty boring one at this point.
    oh im cool with changes from comics (if i wasnt, id be screaming so much about pym not creating ultron). i just feel this romance wasnt executed well.

Extraordinary Member

Spoilers ahead:

Am I the only one who thought Ultron was not a great villain? He started out strong, overtaking J.A.R.V.I.S., disseminating over the internet in order to build himself new bodies elsewhere, etc. But soon, he started with quips à la Tony Stark, which completely took me out of the movie. Seriously, enough with the non-stop quips already! I get that he was supposed to have aspects of Stark's mind within him, like J.A.R.V.I.S. (and like Ultron with Pym in the comics), but they could really have chosen another route than humourous remarks (which were frankly not that funny). They hurt his credibility as a villain, and even his demise was underwhelming (first with his "In hindsight..." line, then with his "Oh, for the love of God" line when Hulk boards the quinjet). Disappointing - I don't know how they managed to miss that this tendency to overuse one-liners would undermine this particular character.
    Well if you ever wanted to know what Alan Shaw would be like as a super villain, this is the movie that tells you.

But on reflection, Ultrons personality makes sense. In the books he is created from Pyms brain patterns, but here he is trying to emulate Stark. So naturally we get the much darker but still flippant version of Tony's personality.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Do they explain why they needed a plot-device to make Ultron work? I mean, didn't he already have the tech to create a fully independent A.I. army by the end of Iron Man III?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Haddock View Post
    Heal Clint... and introduce the means by which the Vision even came into existence. I mean that's a pretty crucial point of the film. They did well to NOT just have someone just mention 'oh by the way, there's a Korean lab that can grow synthetic flesh. Bet Ultron's heard of it as well!' and NOT have one of the two Science Bros just randomly be a super genius at yet another field of science. Which is something that did bug me, Stark was originally just a very very talented engineer and programmer, Banner was an expert on radiation (and THE expert on gamma radiation) but have somehow got to the stage where you could just straight up conjure a brand new field of technology and they'd be an expert on that too.
    Yeah, this irked me as well. "Bio-organics"? They treat the smart guys in this movie as absolute geniuses who know every different branch of science, or like they're all interchangeable.
    My fan fiction:

The Outstanding, a fan fic Universe where Marvel characters and stories are reshaped, revised and retold. Check it out!

The Ultimate Flash, where I take inspiration from classic Silver-Age Comics of Barry Allen and the new CW TV Show to give an old character a new spin! Click here to read!

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away the Marvel and Star Wars Universe combine! Check out Marvel: Star Wars' first family, the Fantastic Four! Read it here!

Quote Originally Posted by xMatt View Post
    Yeah, this irked me as well. "Bio-organics"? They treat the smart guys in this movie as absolute geniuses who know every different branch of science, or like they're all interchangeable.
    Tony is now the mcu reed richards. He can become adept in any feild by doing some light reading on the car ride over. Wonder if t'challa will be watered down to reinforce stark is the smartest one there is lol. You can argue whos smarter overall between tony,tchalla,pym,and banner. But reed is always number one. Tony is now reed so just assume hes an expert in everything.

Quote Originally Posted by xMatt View Post
    Well, the film actually showed us they were not interchangeable, since Stark asked Banner for his help at the end precisely because Banner was the expert in "bio-organics" and not Stark.

Fun fact/Spoiler: The new Avengers HQ/Avengers Academy that premiers at the end of the movie is in fact, my University, and those blue recruits running in the background, yeah I'm one of those extras. My claim to fame. (UEA in the UK if anyone was wondering)