Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post

Also, I"d like to point out that "globally" means more than "Europe on top of the US". World-wide, there's as many - if not more - black people than white people. And more Asians than both combined. And so on.
    First of all, that's "STAR WARS" and while he's featured prominently, it appears to be an ensemble. The Green Lantern movie franchise, (such as it is) as many love to reiterate, does not exactly have the same positive image in people's minds. And while of course white folks are the minority on the planet, the top grossing movies produced by the U.S. have white people (or animated characters) front-and-center anyway.

The top-earning (global) money-makers for the past few years where a black person was front-and-center have been: (according to Boxofficemojo)
    2014 - #43 Equalizer : 192M
    2013 - #44 12 yrs a slave : 187M
    2012 - #17 Django Unchained : 425M
    2011 - #81 Big Mommas: Like Father, Like Son : 82.7M
    (Btw, 2011 - #27 Green Lantern : 219M)

I'm just saying considering the Green Lantern franchise currently already has a white guy front and center, I'd just be surprised if they totally got rid of Hal and featured John as the main GL - or they'd have John and Kyle be the main guys or something. Maybe I'm just jaded...

Let's keep on topic, not each other

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    First of all, that's "STAR WARS" and while he's featured prominently, it appears to be an ensemble. The Green Lantern movie franchise, (such as it is) as many love to reiterate, does not exactly have the same positive image in people's minds. And while of course white folks are the minority on the planet, the top grossing movies produced by the U.S. have white people (or animated characters) front-and-center anyway.

The top-earning (global) money-makers for the past few years where a black person was front-and-center have been: (according to Boxofficemojo)
    2014 - #43 Equalizer : 192M
    2013 - #44 12 yrs a slave : 187M
    2012 - #17 Django Unchained : 425M
    2011 - #81 Big Mommas: Like Father, Like Son : 82.7M
    (Btw, 2011 - #27 Green Lantern : 219M)

I'm just saying considering the Green Lantern franchise currently already has a white guy front and center, I'd just be surprised if they totally got rid of Hal and featured John as the main GL - or they'd have John and Kyle be the main guys or something. Maybe I'm just jaded...
    Don't forget Furious 7 that had mostly people of color has the main focus.
    = Worldwide: $1,514,827,481

This was a bigger recent hit then the Equalizer.
    2015-Straight Outta Compton
    = Worldwide: $199,912,813
    Last edited by mace11; 11-10-2015 at 01:22 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by lorddominicus85 View Post
    John's inclusion would not just be for the sake of diversity. While I hear you beating the Jessica Cruz drum, John is also arguably as recognizable as Hal as the main Green Lantern. I think using John would provide DC with the opportunity to have a strong African American character as a lead in one of their movies, something Marvel hasn't done, and tap into a demographic that is so far un tapped. Jessica Cruz is a bit too risky so early on in their cinematic universe, if they nail the Wonder Woman movie and it makes a good amount of money then green lighting Cruz could be viable but from the profitability stand point using a lesser known female lead to head line what they hope to be a franchise of Green Lantern movies could be a cinematic disaster on par with the first Green Lantern movie.
    Well dc and marvel did have male black led movies before,steel and blade.
    DC even had that black catwoman movie.
    Marvel will have a black panther movie and marvel plans to have another blade movie,but i think it will focus more on his daughter,a female blade.
    So it will be female blade movie or could be a team up blade movie with daughter and father.
    It could be a netflix show or tv show however,but the new blade comic has been delayed because of these upcoming new plans for blade.
    The black panther movie comes out before the green lantern one.
    Vin Diesel could be black bolt in the new inhumans movie and maybe the main main focus.
    Last edited by mace11; 11-10-2015 at 01:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    Don't forget Furious 7 that had mostly people of color has the main focus.
    = Worldwide: $1,514,827,481
    But a white guy - Paul Walker - had been the poster boy for that franchise. That's all I'm saying.

I could see John or Hal being the main protagonist, but I wouldn't be unhappy with Kyle, either.