Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    All-New Member

I hope this works out for the best, and brings more girls into the superhero-loving fold. I just really don't want to see them do something silly and sexist by turning these heroes into, for lack of a better world, Barbie-fied versions of their true heroic selves. "I know we're supposed to fight crime, but let's go to the mall and try on new costumes instead!" - *brrrrrr* My hope is they present girls with strong, positive role models as well as butt-kicking action stories that will eventually lead them into the DCU proper. I look forward to seeing how this unfolds.

DC, do more stuff like this, and I won't talk as much trash.

Great news!
    "Race is a social construct, they say. And I remind them that money is a social construct, too. Social constructs have power." — DeRay Mckesson

BANNED

This is nice and all, it would ofc be better if they did this to everything they do instead of sectioning off somewhere it can't bother the rest of DC.
    Like, if you get your entry point here and go: "Hey, Wonder Woman's really cool, strong, independent." And then you move over to the DCU and get met with: "Hey Wonder Woman is... Superman's girlfriend..."

It's kinda like that comic strip that showed the difference between likeing the animated Starfire and then get faced with RH&O Starfire.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blackest Knight View Post
    The absence of Vixen (who's getting her own CW animated online series) is baffling. There's 5 white girls here and only 2 young women of color (Katana and Bumblebee). Vixen absolutely needs to be included.

Also, given that Fire is Brazilian, DC Entertainment would be making a huge mistake not to include a Latina in the mix. The Latin American market is far too profitable for them to ignore or neglect including in this initiative--if for no other reason than to make money and lots of it.
    Agree but for now let support this I'm still going to ask DC to add more female heroes like vixen and fire

BANNED

Let's not turn a positive into a negative.

All-New Member

Egads, I hope not! Their track record with DC properties has not been the greatest. (Although I would have loved to have seen a series made out of the SuperBFFs shorts starring Donna Troy, Supergirl and Batgirl. Loved those.)

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjak View Post
    But ... but ... but it's what comics fans do best!

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post

art is very good; liked this harley design
    It does look good.
    This image is the type of thing that I've been wanting from "all ages" comics instead of the cartoony chibi stuff the industry thinks we want.

I hope it does well.

I hope that
    1. they realize that it's not just girls that want this.
    2. they don't package it in a way that will make boys not want to pick it up.

Whatever the result, they're at least admitting that other people besides 30-year old men read comics. And that's a start.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Spectacular Member
    Octavius Core...wishing the doors would open...

Quote Originally Posted by Timbales View Post
    I wish the approach wasn't so gendered. It's important to get boys to look up to women as role models and heroes as well.
    I agree, why does it have to be their own universe? Just stop sexualizing all your top female characters. Wonder Woman was designed as a character to resolve problems without fighting, yet here she is a warrior more than a diplomat. And heavily sexualized

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjak View Post
    Just because something seems good, doesn't mean it is. I like root beer, but the caramel color added to it and other soft drinks is linked to a cancer causing chemical.

Mighty Member

Art style is a bit boring and generic, but overall it is a step in the right direction. Several, actually.
    My blog. Latest entry: November 5th, 2022

aww this is their female justice league.

"DC Comics’ icons such as Wonder Woman, Supergirl, Batgirl, Harley Quinn, Bumble Bee, Poison Ivy, Katana and many more make their unprecedented teenaged introduction"

Dont worry it said many more will show up. But I think these 6 characters will be the main. Prolly other are guest stars or re-occurring roles or whatever

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Timbales View Post
    I wish the approach wasn't so gendered. It's important to get boys to look up to women as role models and heroes as well.
    Yeah; pretty tone deaf for something that's (presumably) done with good intentions.

What differentiates "girl media" from "boy media"? Is the the boys stuff somehow off limits to girls?
    I write about the intersection of science, comics and culture. Check it out!

I hope all the news outlets that ran with saying DC doesn't have anything for young girls publishes a piece on this.....(the article on letter written by a 11 yr old)

Good news!
    Last edited by Triple J; 04-22-2015 at 01:57 PM.
    DC Extended Universe Thread (DCEU)

That's how it starts. The fever. The rage. The feeling of powerlessness. That turns good men....Cruel - Alfred.

This may be the only thing that I do that matters - Bruce.

Stay down, if I wanted it, you would be dead already - Clark.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Psistorm4472 View Post
    But ... but ... but it's what comics fans do best!

And it's sad, to be honest.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Love the idea but I'm another person who feels limiting it to just girls is possibly well intentioned but unneeded. If I as a male kid in the 90's could watch stuff like the Powerpuff Girls and Wonder Woman and Hawkgirl in Justice League and recognise that female heroes are awesome as the guys, they should still be thinking that way today.

Now if Marvel can adapt Arcadia for onscreen with a similar vein (but not limit it to girls) that'll be awesome.