Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Timbales View Post
    I wish the approach wasn't so gendered. It's important to get boys to look up to women as role models and heroes as well.
    This is how I feel. This move comes across a little as a form of segregation. This isn't what I want for superheroines. I want boys and girls to see them on the same playing field as the male characters, holding their own and earning respect. It's like, people don't believe that boys enjoy female characters too so rather than sell them to boys they shut them off and go light speed in the opposite direction.

Incredible Member Miraclo__Pill's Avatar

Ten years ago somebody'd have told me Poison Ivy and Harley were to be presented in an all female Justice League proxy instead of Hawkgirl, Black Canary or Vixen I would have called bollocks. Now, I think it's a great thing from DC. Hopefully we get more diverse down the road, but this is up to a great start.
    http://grafikarobotnik.tumblr.com/

I survived the 2014 reboot and I didn't even got a lousy t-shirt.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjak View Post
    And it's sad, to be honest.
    Amen to that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MatchesMalone View Post
    I agree, why does it have to be their own universe? Just stop sexualizing all your top female characters. Wonder Woman was designed as a character to resolve problems without fighting, yet here she is a warrior more than a diplomat. And heavily sexualized

Just because something seems good, doesn't mean it is. I like root beer, but the caramel color added to it and other soft drinks is linked to a cancer causing chemical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Love the idea but I'm another person who feels limiting it to just girls is possibly well intentioned but unneeded. If I as a male kid in the 90's could watch stuff like the Powerpuff Girls and Wonder Woman and Hawkgirl in Justice League and recognise that female heroes are awesome as the guys, they should still be thinking that way today.

Now if Marvel can adapt Arcadia for onscreen with a similar vein (but not limit it to girls) that'll be awesome.
    Agreed, you two. They want to do something for girls? Let them play with the boys more often.

Alexander (not)Luthor Jr AlexG.'s Avatar
    Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground (My house)

Just because something is marketed to girls (which means that it's made more attractive for them), it doesn't preclude boys from not finding it cool too. And to anyone saying that they are segregating this universe to their mainstream one because the latter is unfriendly towards girls, where is your support and enthusiasm towards Bizarro and Bat-mite (which are all-ages titles) and Prez?

I for one am really happy with this initiative!

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Just posting to say I like that Wonder Woman outfit.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    This is how I feel. This move comes across a little as a form of segregation. This isn't what I want for superheroines. I want boys and girls to see them on the same playing field as the male characters, holding their own and earning respect. It's like, people don't believe that boys enjoy female characters too so rather than sell them to boys they shut them off and go light speed in the opposite direction.
    Thing is, it's not about what you, a grown adult wants. It's for little girls aged 6-12.

Boys meanwhile will eat up superhero comics of any sort.

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    It's kinda like that comic strip that showed the difference between likeing the animated Starfire and then get faced with RH&O Starfire.
    Well they are introducing a new continuity-free Starfire title
    http://www.newsarama.com/23456-dc-re...book-line.html

A little more cute-sexy and less Red Hood and the Outlaws

Maybe this will inspire some more changes.

The main reason this is separate from the main DCU is because all the heroes are teenagers. You can have all ages book in the new52 but nothing that drastically alters current continuity. In Japan, the Manga is classified in many categories that target different demographics. Doesn't mean that it's made to exclude anyone

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    The first time I played Lego Batman 2 with my (then 6 year old) nephew, he asked me why I picked Wonder Woman to play. I told him "Because she's as strong as Superman, can fly and throw her tiara like a Batarang. She's awesome". (those are the play features, before anyone starts citing strength levels in the comics). He started picking her for free play levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackest Knight View Post
    The absence of Vixen (who's getting her own CW animated online series) is baffling. There's 5 white girls here and only 2 young women of color (Katana and Bumblebee). Vixen absolutely needs to be included.
    Maybe that's the reason? She's already getting a push with the upcoming CW web series, so they figured they'd push some of the other characters instead?
    Not saying that's how it works, but could be.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbales View Post
    I wish the approach wasn't so gendered. It's important to get boys to look up to women as role models and heroes as well.
    True, I'm a guy and I've always liked the female superheroes just as much. It would be better to target both demographics and treat all the characters equally on all fronts, but this is good progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    2. they don't package it in a way that will make boys not want to pick it up.
    This. It's possible to market for girls while still being accessable for boys if it isn't in a pink and glittery box/case/whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by MatchesMalone View Post
    I agree, why does it have to be their own universe? Just stop sexualizing all your top female characters. Wonder Woman was designed as a character to resolve problems without fighting, yet here she is a warrior more than a diplomat. And heavily sexualized
    While I agree with the 'stop sexualizing' stuff, the violence sells more books without any particularly negative (sexist) stereotypes.

Just because something seems good, doesn't mean it is. I like root beer, but the caramel color added to it and other soft drinks is linked to a cancer causing chemical.
    Holy crap, I love root beer so this is scary. Do they have to add that or is it just crappy corporate no-reason?

BANNED

I see harley and ivy but no catwoman ? I think Catwoman should be in this show too. They should put the gotham sirens love in little girls. I hope it has Catwoman in it.

interesting

the only think i kind of feel is a miss-opportunity is that we could have gotten Donna Troy instead of WW
    I feel that would fitted better

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Blackest Knight View Post
    The absence of Vixen (who's getting her own CW animated online series) is baffling. There's 5 white girls here and only 2 young women of color (Katana and Bumblebee). Vixen absolutely needs to be included.
    It's just like the Disney princesses!

In all seriousness this is the only bit of promo art we've seen, I'm almost certain they'll push more characters. Bumblebee I think gets the nod ahead of Vixen cos she's appeared in more cartoons aimed at younger people and possibly because she's DC's first black female superheroine (but I may be wrong on that).

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoldoaad View Post
    interesting

the only think i kind of feel is a miss-opportunity is that we could have gotten Donna Troy instead of WW
    I feel that would fitted better
    Come on, no one wants to grow up to be Wonder Girl/Troia when they can be Wonder Woman.

When you go into Target to buy toys you get two choices, the pink aisles or the blue aisles. A show heavy on females goes in a pink aisle, might as well embrace it. Maybe even change the exclusivity of "girls things". Girls buy boys's toys so maybe boys can buy girls' toys.

We've got kids cartoons of all dudes so it's only fair to do one thing with just girls.

And BTW this is them doing what a little girl asked for.
    So maybe you all tell her to eat poop cause you think she should watch stuff with the boys.