Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

This is a great and important move by DC! Well done!
    Looking forward to buy my nieces this instead of all the princess-stuff

And great to see Ivy there, she can be a positive role-model when it comes to protecting the enviroment etc.

Fantastic Member

This strikes me as some rather tone-deaf sh*t.

How to make good superhero stories for girls:

1) Write a good superhero story.

2) Make sure all its characters are treated like people.

Or, as one of my female friends put it when I ran this by her: "WHY DO THEY LOOK LIKE BRATZ UUUUUUUGH."

I thought it was rather well said.

Also, "discovering their full potential"? Uuuuuuugh.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

I really respect DC for taking this bold initiative. In the past few years, it's been pretty clear that girls are interested in superheroes, but where are the heroes for them? All Marvel has promoted is Black Widow who might not be the best role model for a younger girl (6-12) and all DC has ever really promoted is Wonder Woman. This is a great way to show younger girls that they can be heroes, too.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    When you go into Target to buy toys you get two choices, the pink aisles or the blue aisles. A show heavy on females goes in a pink aisle, might as well embrace it. Maybe even change the exclusivity of "girls things". Girls buy boys's toys so maybe boys can buy girls' toys.

We've got kids cartoons of all dudes so it's only fair to do one thing with just girls.

And BTW this is them doing what a little girl asked for.
    So maybe you all tell her to eat poop cause you think she should watch stuff with the boys.
    Yeah, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
    This strikes me as some rather tone-deaf sh*t.

How to make good superhero stories for girls:

1) Write a good superhero story.

2) Make sure all its characters are treated like people.

Or, as one of my female friends put it when I ran this by her: "WHY DO THEY LOOK LIKE BRATZ UUUUUUUGH."

I thought it was rather well said.
    Is your female friend aged 6-12? Cos otherwise it's not really aimed for her.

But sure, your idea is fine. Go ahead and hand every little girl a copy of TDKR then, it's one of the best ever superhero stories.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    Is your female friend aged 6-12? Cos otherwise it's not really aimed for her.
    No, and that's fair.

But this feels a little more "Legos for Girls" than a truly laudible approach.

Maybe if DC had a better track record with its comics in recent years, I'd feel more positively toward it.

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    When you go into Target to buy toys you get two choices, the pink aisles or the blue aisles. A show heavy on females goes in a pink aisle, might as well embrace it. Maybe even change the exclusivity of "girls things". Girls buy boys's toys so maybe boys can buy girls' toys.
    Eh, I was thinking more of the shows/films/shorts/whatever animated stuff. Although does Target really color code the toy aisles?

Quote Originally Posted by Green Ghost View Post
    And great to see Ivy there, she can be a positive role-model when it comes to protecting the enviroment etc.
    Doesn't Ivy protect the environment by, you know, doing evil horrible things to people? She's a villain for a reason. A fun villain when paired with Harley, but shouldn't be role model material for any child. Wonder Woman, Batgirl, etc. are role models.

There really isn't any problem with having a single line targeting a specific group of the audience (unless they prevent boys from buying it).

If boys chose not to buy it..because they think it's too girly..well that isn't a problem with DC, but rather with the society that defines what a boy/girl can/cannot do (gender stereotypes and definitions).

Anyways, if we choose to see this as discrimination..well then we would have to say programs targeted towards kids (or adults) are also discriminatory towards the other group.
    DC Extended Universe Thread (DCEU)

That's how it starts. The fever. The rage. The feeling of powerlessness. That turns good men....Cruel - Alfred.

This may be the only thing that I do that matters - Bruce.

Stay down, if I wanted it, you would be dead already - Clark.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
    Maybe if DC had a better track record with its comics in recent years, I'd feel more positively toward it.
    Oh, right, so this has somehow turned into yet another thread getting sidetracked by random New 52 hate.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jeevanjacobjohn View Post
    If boys chose not to buy it..because they think it's too girly..well that isn't a problem with DC, but rather with the society that defines what a boy/girl can/cannot do (gender stereotypes and definitions).
    It would actually be DC continuing to cater toward a paradigm that exists largely because of segregated marketing the first place -- you can absolutely scrutinize companies for that.

It's basically this: http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandst...ation-equality

On the one hand, it's nice that DC wants to include girls in its superhero marketing, and I suppose all things considered that's a relatively new development. On the other, this still strikes me as a particularly reductive, maybe even short-sighted way to do it. C'est la vie, but it's a far cry from just getting their properties to the place where they're recognized as gender-neutral on all levels, and possibly even a step in the oppostie direction. "Superheroes for girls" instead of "Superheroes for kids" (with positive and strong representations of both men and women).

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer
    Oh, right, so this has somehow turned into yet another thread getting sidetracked by random New 52 hate.
    I don't hate the New 52. But outside the movies, it's still the company's marquee fiction for its proprties, and it seems fair to consider its track record when judging other initiatives? Though in that case I was only using it to qualify where my own judgements.

If you disagree with me, I'm all for it -- this thread is here for thoughts and discussion. The only thing I see derailing conversation is your decision to quote that post for a quip.
    Last edited by Cipher; 04-22-2015 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GamerSlyRatchet View Post
    Art style is a bit boring and generic, but overall it is a step in the right direction. Several, actually.
    Yeah, as happy as I am to see DC doing something like this, and it getting mostly positive buzz, I feel the art style is just a bit bland. It looks like DC's answer to the Disney Princesses, when it should really be it's own thing.

Still, this only has the one piece of promo art, so far, so maybe the end result will be more engaging.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post

It was going to come sooner or later. I'm not totally shocked lol.

"Don't turn a positive into a negative" That went straight out of the window unfortunately lol.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Doesn't Ivy protect the environment by, you know, doing evil horrible things to people? She's a villain for a reason. A fun villain when paired with Harley, but shouldn't be role model material for any child. Wonder Woman, Batgirl, etc. are role models.
    This is a younger, super hero Ivy in another universe. This Ivy is likely going to embody the positive aspects of the "green" movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Yeah, but the probably leave out the killing stuff
    But honestly there are storys where Ivy is a protector, even of people & children like in NoMansLand. She is the most prominent female character fighting for plant-life & the enviroment and her intentions are good for all mankind. She can and should be a rolemodel for this course (without the killing)...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Medusa View Post
    This is a younger, super hero Ivy in another universe. This Ivy is likely going to embody the positive aspects of the "green" movement.
    Yeah, this!

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjak View Post
    It was going to come sooner or later. I'm not totally shocked lol.

"Don't turn a positive into a negative" That went straight out of the window unfortunately lol.
    This is DC bruh. Whatever they do there will always be negativism.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.