Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Well I am happy for the little girls that they have something like this. I will buy these for my little cousins in that age bracket for sure. No more frozen dolls for my cousins haha

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Medusa View Post
    This is a younger, super hero Ivy in another universe. This Ivy is likely going to embody the positive aspects of the "green" movement.
    I suppose I have my own problem with that, like when they get old enough to search out comics on their own and find out what the usual Ivy is like, but you're right. Hell, Ivy's one of those characters who could benefit from going hero since I can't think of a lot of good environmental heroes these days (Captain Planet's been decades ago).

Quote Originally Posted by Green Ghost View Post
    Yeah, but the probably leave out the killing stuff
    But honestly there are storys where Ivy is a protector, even of people & children like in NoMansLand. She is the most prominent female character fighting for plant-life & the enviroment and her intentions are good for all mankind. She can and should be a rolemodel for this course (without the killing)...
    Yeah, without the killing.

Fantastic Member

Maybe I should clarify that as long as this is going forward, I hope it's good? And it can definitely pull off something great in execution.

I just find its underlying conceit a little reductive, in the way gender-specific marketing so often is.

I don't want to complain, because this is a very good thing DC are doing here, but you've got two villains and Bumblebee of all characters on that promo image, but no Hawkgirl? What a bummer. DC also continue to push Katana, I see, although I have no problem with that. She's long been an underrated character, after all. The petty fanboy in me, though, just would've liked to have seen Hawkgirl getting a push here, too.
    Batman: I need your help finding a man named Vulko.
    Hawkman: You want him dead or alive?
    - Justice League #17

I know what I'm buying my nieces for Xmas.
    This is a pretty great idea. Though I would've liked to have seen Vixen and the Hispanic Aquagirl included. Hopefully they'll be added in the future.

Hawkgirl and Amethyst would be cool as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I suppose I have my own problem with that, like when they get old enough to search out comics on their own and find out what the usual Ivy is like, but you're right. Hell, Ivy's one of those characters who could benefit from going hero since I can't think of a lot of good environmental heroes these days (Captain Planet's been decades ago).
    That! Alot of people and especially Ivy fans are asking for this for years! This makes so much sense for the character...but I think it gets off-topic now :P

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    Thing is, it's not about what you, a grown adult wants. It's for little girls aged 6-12.

Boys meanwhile will eat up superhero comics of any sort.
    Correction it is about what that adult wants. That 6-12 year doesn't have money. You have to win over parents, grandparents and school/library employees before that child gets to touch any of this stuff.

You don't win us over-you got a flop.

Until those products actually come out-Dc gets no pats on the back for trying to counter Ms Marvel, A-Force & Disney Divas. We have have been though this all girl stuff before with Wonder Woman, Fire, Ice & Catwoman in the 90s.

Maybe that's the reason? She's already getting a push with the upcoming CW web series, so they figured they'd push some of the other characters instead?
    Not saying that's how it works, but could be.
    So we give less exposure to Vixen for Bumblebee who is the only girl in the group that has not been seen in the new 52. Unless she is being used because she was on Young Justice, a show that attracted girls. Of course that doesn't explain not using Ms Martian & Wonder Girl-who were on that show.

It's just like the Disney princesses!
    You know what it better NOT be like that. As many times the minorities are left out in that line-DC would be wise to not follow that route.

Amazing Member

As a father of 3 girls that are budding comic book fans, I feel like this is OK, but far from ideal. This looks very much like it could devolve into 'girl superhero stuff'. I want to see 'superhero stuff', that just happens to have female leads. If they want to draw some comics aimed at younger kids with more cutesy art? Great! I'm all for it... 100%. There shouldn't be boy ones and girl ones, though, just comics. Why can't Batman and Superman be in the comic too?

It's just like when you got to the Target/Walmart and you can't buy a superhero shirt that's not pink in the girls section.

Incredible Member

With the New 52 origin for the Amazons and Wonder Woman and the like, I wouldn't want children anywhere near this stuff.

DC needs to clean up its act before trying to do something like this. Otherwise, it won't end well.

You think the parents groups were bad about toys and toy promotion in the 80's? Just show those parents some of what else that DC has been putting out in their other lines. It will be utter pandemonium!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
    Maybe I should clarify that as long as this is going forward, I hope it's good? And it can definitely pull off something great in execution.

I just find its underlying conceit a little reductive, in the way gender-specific marketing so often is.
    I wouldn't worry about the gender specific marketing.

You can easily use the girls line to spinoff a boys line. Make the figures compatible with each other.

Of course the issue would be who to use in the boy line outside of Bat God & friends (who many are tired of). I would assume Guardian would be in that line since he wife is in the girl's line.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Correction it is about what that adult wants. That 6-12 year doesn't have money. You have to win over parents, grandparents and school/library employees before that child gets to touch any of this stuff.

You don't win us over-you got a flop.

Until those products actually come out-Dc gets no pats on the back for trying to counter Ms Marvel, A-Force & Disney Divas. We have have been though this all girl stuff before with Wonder Woman, Fire, Ice & Catwoman in the 90s.
    Trying to counter Ms Marvel and A-Force? Oh, cos those are aimed at eight year olds now are they?

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    You know what it better NOT be like that. As many times the minorities are left out in that line-DC would be wise to not follow that route.
    Yes that's the joke.

BANNED

It looks more like Superhero High to me. That wouldn't be a bad thing if it wasn't so skewed in one direction. I want more female action figures, not just for me but for my daughter who quickly gets bored with the "pink aile." As a male who wants to see more female characters rise and thrive amongst males characters, I continue to be exasperated by this wall that very few people are able to see. This is not a bad move by DC, but it strikes me as more of a lateral movement than a forward one.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin Kelley View Post
    With the New 52 origin for the Amazons and Wonder Woman and the like, I wouldn't want children anywhere near this stuff.

DC needs to clean up its act before trying to do something like this. Otherwise, it won't end well.

You think the parents groups were bad about toys and toy promotion in the 80's? Just show those parents some of what else that DC has been putting out in their other lines. It will be utter pandemonium!
    And more random complaints about the New 52 being dragged in to attack this with!

So what's your argument here? DC aren't allowed to aim their comics at different audiences? DC should wipe out every single violent comic they've ever written before aiming a smaller line at a younger audience?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    I don't want to complain, because this is a very good thing DC are doing here, but you've got two villains and Bumblebee of all characters on that promo image, but no Hawkgirl? What a bummer. DC also continue to push Katana, I see, although I have no problem with that. She's long been an underrated character, after all. The petty fanboy in me, though, just would've liked to have seen Hawkgirl getting a push here, too.

Maybe Hawkgirl will be involved.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjak View Post
    Maybe Hawkgirl will be involved.
    Johns has said on his Twitter this is the "tip of the iceberg" as far as how many characters are planned to appear.