View Poll Results: Are you Tired of the Hand Me Downs?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 40.63%
  • No

19 59.38%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Conway View Post
    Sure, and back then Batman was still wearing blue and yellow, but he at least he:
    didn't have a red and yellow "S" on his chest,
    never used the title "Super",
    had a mask so he looked different,
    wasn't in the same city,
    wasn't an alien that got powers from the red sun,
    and most of all he never flies or picks up cars.

She has:
    worn a spider on her chest,
    calls herself Spider-Woman,
    wears the same mask,
    works in the same city,
    got her powers from radioactive spider DNA,
    and she climbs walls while lifting 7 tons and avoiding danger from heightened senses then survives thanks to her superior immune system.
    spiderwoman's mask isn't the same as peter's, in fact other than the eyes, there's no notable similarity
    She doesn't wear a spider on her costume, have you even look at it?
    Everybody works in New York, the amount of folks who haven't is way smaller, not counting that most of her adventures don't even take place there.
    She didn't get her powers from radioactive spider dna, she had her dna spliced with that of a spider due to her being poisoned by radiation(not counting her actual origins of being a spider who was shaped into the form of a woman.)
    She also doesn't have spider sense.

You could make as much of a case of black widow being spider family as you could Spider-woman
    Last edited by ZephyrSurf; 04-24-2015 at 01:40 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Of Orphans View Post
    I feel like a lot of the "new" characters Marvel tries pushing are derivative, and their general appeal moreso lies within their predecessor than anything else. Unfortunately, their induction comes often at the expense of the character they (often temporarily) replace and their fans.

I'd be more for building those characters up alongside their predecessor, but Marvel feels fast forwarding their popularity through a loud, sudden gimmick is more beneficial and I suppose that's where we agree to disagree.

I'm not against legacy characters at all, but some dignity to their inception based on who they're replacing is preferred.
    You mean like Captain Marvel/Ms. Marvel? There's an instance where two characters got promoted (although one proved quite a bit more popular).

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrSurf View Post
    spiderwoman's mask isn't the same as peter's, in fact other than the eyes, there's no notable similarity
    She doesn't wear a spider on her costume, have you even look at it?
    Everybody works in New York, the amount of folks who haven't is way smaller, not counting that most of her adventures don't even take place there.
    She didn't get her powers from radioactive spider dna, she had her dna spliced with that of a spider due to her being poisoned by radiation(not counting her actual origins of being a spider who was shaped into the form of a woman.)
    She also doesn't have spider sense.

You could make as much of a case of black widow being spider family as you could Spider-woman
    The eyes are the most noticeable part of the mask and they're identical.
    I said "wore" as in past tense, as in several of her costumes have had spiders on them.
    Okay, I'll ignore the fact that she is in a situation where she has contact with Spider-Man on a regular basis.
    I was under the impression that her current origin story is that her mother's womb was hit by an experimental radioactive beam carrying the DNA traits of several species of spiders
    I also understood that her power set included heightened abilities to perceive smells and sound allowing her to avoid danger. Might not be "Spider-sense" but it's not very far off.

So no, Black Widow (who can't climb walls, doesn't have spider strength, speed, stamina, healing, or senses, who's origin has nothing to do with spiders, doesn't have Spidey eyes, never wore a spider on her outfit, and isn't named Spider-____) does not have as much of a case of being spider family as Spider-Woman.

I can see why you claim she isn't Spider family, but it's like saying Batwoman isn't part of the Bat-fam because she wasn't trained by Bruce. Marvel has made a clear attempt to define her as part of the Spider family.
    It's all just an opinion. Stop taking me so damn seriously.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Conway View Post
    The eyes are the most noticeable part of the mask and they're identical.
    I said "wore" as in past tense, as in several of her costumes have had spiders on them.
    Okay, I'll ignore the fact that she is in a situation where she has contact with Spider-Man on a regular basis.
    I was under the impression that her current origin story is that her mother's womb was hit by an experimental radioactive beam carrying the DNA traits of several species of spiders
    I also understood that her power set included heightened abilities to perceive smells and sound allowing her to avoid danger. Might not be "Spider-sense" but it's not very far off.

So no, Black Widow (who can't climb walls, doesn't have spider strength, speed, stamina, healing, or senses, who's origin has nothing to do with spiders, doesn't have Spidey eyes, never wore a spider on her outfit, and isn't named Spider-____) does not have as much of a case of being spider family as Spider-Woman.

I can see why you claim she isn't Spider family, but it's like saying Batwoman isn't part of the Bat-fam because she wasn't trained by Bruce. Marvel has made a clear attempt to define her as part of the Spider family.
    As an after affect, and even then, they largely keep them separate and apart. And of course she uses a lot of spiders in her character design, she is still SPIDER woman. Not counting that her current outfit invokes less spiderman related anything save the optional web wings than most anything before.

Trying to pin her as a spider-man legacy character is like trying to pin the white tigers or tigra as black panther legacies