Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Anybody think Johns on Superman is a giant mistake?

This guy should be off building Shazam or some other property for DC to sell to potential customers and better prepare the company for the inevitable Batman crash much like Wolverine. Besides this guy and Kubert wrote quite a few issues pre52 I don't really see why they should be hauling him back onto this property again.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Astonishing Member

It makes sense business-wise. Superman sales are pretty mediocre, and with Morrison gone, the Superman books needs a strong flagship akin to Snyder/Capullo on Batman.

Personally, I don't really like it, because I don't like how Johns writes Superman, I don't like the prospects of Pak's Action becoming a second tier support book like GLC was during the Johns GL era, and I'd rather Johns write Shazam.

We'll see how it goes, I guess.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Yeah, not thrilled either. I was amused by Johns playing with words and saying he never got to write the Superman TITLE to not say he had written Superman for some time not so long ago.
    And yeah, I would rather have the guy work on Shazam.
    Can't argue with maths, though. Johns + Romita Jr: this is going to sell. So "mistake" is probably the wrong word.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    This guy should be off building Shazam or some other property for DC to sell to potential customers and better prepare the company for the inevitable Batman crash much like Wolverine. Besides this guy and Kubert wrote quite a few issues pre52 I don't really see why they should be hauling him back onto this property again.
    I'm starting to think so.

The guy's always been hit or miss with me, and from what I've seen thus far, this upcoming run doesn't look particularly thrilling. But against my better judgement, I'm going to check it out.
    Last edited by Will J.; 05-21-2014 at 03:16 PM.

BANNED

New52 Superman is a mess. He can bench press the earth five times lol

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Neowing View Post
    That's one of the good things about him.

Johns on anything besides Hawkman or the JSA and without an editor to rein in his worst habits like gore is always a bad idea.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    It makes sense business-wise. Superman sales are pretty mediocre, and with Morrison gone, the Superman books needs a strong flagship akin to Snyder/Capullo on Batman.

Personally, I don't really like it, because I don't like how Johns writes Superman, I don't like the prospects of Pak's Action becoming a second tier support book like GLC was during the Johns GL era, and I'd rather Johns write Shazam.

Lets be honest editorial would never have made Pak's book the headlining book. That was just never going to be in the cards.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
    That's one of the good things about him.

Johns on anything besides Hawkman or the JSA and without an editor to rein in his worst habits like gore is always a bad idea.
    Are you serious? Pete Tomasi was his editor on JSA and it's pretty clear from his time as writer on Batman and Robin, Black Adam and GLC as well his editorial tenure on Spectre that the man would have put in as much blood and gore as he could get away. If anything it's probably the reverse, Tomasi is the probably the person that influenced Johns to be an even more bloody writer as time went on.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Lets be honest editorial would never have made Pak's book the headlining book. That was just never going to be in the cards.
    Which I can live with, but now I expect the book to be sucked into Johns's crossovers every year or so.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    I was amused by Johns playing with words and saying he never got to write the Superman TITLE to not say he had written Superman for some time not so long ago.
    Which happens to be inaccurate: he had a stint on the title in 2002-2003.

Quote Originally Posted by Neowing View Post
    What Kurosawa said.
    Buh-bye

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Which happens to be inaccurate: he had a stint on the title in 2002-2003.
    He is probably talking about the Nu52 version.

Which I can live with, but now I expect the book to be sucked into Johns's crossovers every year or so.
    I find that doubtful. I think from Pak's Batman/Superman crossover with World's Finest and Doomed that editorial is more keen on crossovers than any other party.

Wait and see, I'll say.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post

I find that doubtful. I think from Pak's Batman/Superman crossover with World's Finest and Doomed that editorial is more keen on crossovers than any other party.
    Well yeah I doubt Johns is the one demanding crossovers. But with an "A-list" talent on the Superman book, I can see editors using his book to springboard crossovers for the other books.

Johns' characterizations of the Justice League cast are pretty horrible. Johns' Superman isn't even the worst, but I still hate him.

But I have to agree that this is what Superman, both the character and the book, needs to boost sales since Superman Unchained is ending.

Astonishing Member

We'll see how it goes, I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    Yeah, not thrilled either. I was amused by Johns playing with words and saying he never got to write the Superman TITLE to not say he had written Superman for some time not so long ago.
    And yeah, I would rather have the guy work on Shazam.
    Can't argue with maths, though. Johns + Romita Jr: this is going to sell. So "mistake" is probably the wrong word.

Yeah, but what is the plan after Johns + Romita?

The last Johns run had a massive sales downturn afterwards so what reason is there to think this run won’t see a similar effect? This will just be a temp boost which won’t parlay into any kind of long term strength for the character overall.

They should just leave it in the hands of some people who haven’t been all over Superman before. Let Pak, Soule, and someone else deal with finding a new direction for the Superman world.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory