Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Default What would you do with 100 million dollars?

I heard that most people who win the lotto wind up broke again, so I was wondering how most of the people on this board would spend/invest/loose that much money.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    I heard that most people who win the lotto wind up broke again, so I was wondering how most of the people on this board would spend/invest/loose that much money.
    If it's after the taxes have been taken out, I would hire a wealth manager to invest it all into 8 Blue Chip Stocks and a few Corporate Bonds with a maturity of 5 years. Perhaps those investments might surpass Brad Duke's own wealth. Here is his Bio:

http://thelottolife.com/blog/2014/2/...l#.VThc_SFViko

I can't even imagine being able to spend 100 million dollars. Even being incredibly wasteful.
    So I guess, live reasonably comfortably for the rest of my life.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Pay off my college loans, then maybe get a Dairy Queen Blizzard. If I chose to get the Blizzard, I'd definitely take a cab to the DQ, even though it's only a few blocks away.

Oh, and have some huge dude follow me around with a metal brieface filled with cash handcuffed to his wrist. Probably make him wear an eye patch and a white tuxedo, too, but only between Memorial Day and Labor Day. Also, theme music following me around, a la I'm Gonna Git You Sucka.

sucka-theme-music-600x322_zps22bd3471.jpg

Maybe an all-woman band like Prince has, though. Regardless of gender, they're wearing gold lame jumpsuits and eyepatches.

In fact, eyepatches for everyone!

It's been fun. Toodles. Paradox's Avatar

I would have it all changed into $100 bills and piled in the middle of my bedroom. Then I would sleep on it like a dragon.
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

The Conclave group page on Primus (a work in progress)
    Champions: The Conclave (an updating Facebook Gallery)
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

BANNED

Not the wisest investment, financially speaking, but I do fantasize about spending this kind of money on buying out one of my favourite indie comic publishers.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    I would have it all changed into $100 bills and piled in the middle of my bedroom. Then I would sleep on it like a dragon.
    See, I would have it changed into gold coins, then go swimming in it.

Uncle Scrooge.jpg

It's been fun. Toodles. Paradox's Avatar

I considered that, but it would require some effort on my part, so...
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

The Conclave group page on Primus (a work in progress)
    Champions: The Conclave (an updating Facebook Gallery)
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

I would open up a nightclub that only played 80s-90s Industrial Music.

and I'd be the DJ.
    A sandwich is a sandwich, but a Manwich is a meal

"Evil people can do some non-evil things, and most of them do. That doesn't mean they aren't evil." -- JeffereyWKramer

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ll...yo5eo1_400.gif

Fantastic Member

I feel like a lot of people want a lot of nice things. Fancy cars, big houses, etc. I have never been fascinated by any of that as long as I can fully support myself and my hobbies. (which has never yet been the case) I would buy a reasonable medium sized house in a suburban area, meaning that if I do go broke, I'll still have a roof. I'd probably drop about 300,000 on that. Next order of business is get a car that gets reasonable mileage and wont break down on me. (as opposed to my 1992 jeep that gets 10 miles to the gallon) Nothing fancy. I wouldn't know what to do with fancy. I could probably get a cheap used one for like, 4,000, but lets say 50,000 just for the sake of argument. After that, it's student loan debt. 30,000 right now. After that I'd be pretty dang content. So now I'm left with only a paltry 99,616,000 dollars. Expenses time!

Alright, I'll make my estimates on the high side:
    That car I bought needs insurance. So, I'll go to 1000 a year, which is on the high side.
    Lets say I spent 30 dollars a day on food. (That'd be super luxurious for me, as there is a cap on the fanciness of food that I actually enjoy)- That translates to 10,950 a year.
    Craft beer might be a spending problem if I had a leaky wallet. Lets go ahead and say 100 dollars a week. 5200 a year.
    If I got all the liquor I wanted I'd probably spend about 200 bucks a month on nice stuff. 2400 a year.
    I still have to keep utilities going and pay some taxes on my house. Lets say 500 a month. 6000 a year.
    As a gamer that usually sticks to a few select Nintendo franchises, I'll put my yearly cost for every game I ever want at MAYBE 700 dollars.
    I get to be liberal with my comic book pull list now. So lets say a month I get 20 issues. at 4 an issue, that comes out to 960 a year.
    I'd probably go see the Atlanta Symphony at a lot more and get better seats. 50 dollar tickets maybe twice a month, coming out at 1200 a year.
    Now I'll give myself a miscellany budget of 1000 dollars a year. (soap, toothpaste, handsoap, that kind of crap)

So my grand total cost of living per year is now 29,410. Now, remember, my remaining total money is 99,616,000. So that'll keep me going for almost 3400 years. I'd put the vast majority of that excess to the financially failing American orchestras and school music programs.

House full of cats
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Sadly, I am too old to be Batman. So this will have to be more along the lines of Batman Beyond, where I first finance a high-tech Batsuit, and then find an MMA prodigy with a burning passion for justice and little common sense.

Failing that: a massive investment in human-level AI. Just to see what they come up with.

Or pranks.

õ
    Wait, how much did Jurassic Park cost?

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    Sadly, I am too old to be Batman. So this will have to be more along the lines of Batman Beyond, where I first finance a high-tech Batsuit, and then find an MMA prodigy with a burning passion for justice and little common sense.

Failing that: a massive investment in human-level AI. Just to see what they come up with.

Or pranks.

õ
    Wait, how much did Jurassic Park cost?
    You're never too old to be Batman. Just look at Adam West.

I'd probably take up comic book collecting.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Here's what I'd do with $100 million:

---pay off all my debts

---move to Phoenix, buy a mansion and never deal with crappy northeast winter weather again

---open a comic book/manga/anime shop
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!