Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Sony Announces Animated "Spider-Man" Movie for 2018

The first-ever animated "Spider-Man" feature film is on the way in 2018, with "LEGO Movie" vets Phil Lord and Chris Miller on board as producers.

Full article here.

Since Sony is doing this I really hope it is of the same quality as the Spectacular Spider-Man. We need another decent animated Spider-Man ever since Ultimate Spider-Man came out.
    I love the New 52. I love the dark and grittiness of it and find that is what makes the most enjoyable superhero stories. At the same time I find All Star Superman to be the most depressing Superman story I have ever read. Yeah I'm weird.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by toddx77 View Post
    Since Sony is doing this I really hope it is of the same quality as the Spectacular Spider-Man. We need another decent animated Spider-Man ever since Ultimate Spider-Man came out.
    That would be so good. You know who they should get to write or co-write the screenplay?

Greg Weisman. He greatly understood what made Spider-Man amazing.

All-New Member

My hope is that they make this movie an action movie with emphasis on characters, yet still make it appropriate enough so that families can see it.

In other words, please don't make it like that awful animated show Ultimate Spider-Man!

Spectacular Member

Please be a continuation of The Spectacular Spider-Man!!!!!! I always hoped for this when I heard about them uniting to work on Spidey, but it was wishful thinking at best. It's also kinda funny how the movie is slated for the year Spectacular Spider-Man turns 10

Hope it is not for kids.

Fantastic Member

"The animated film is said to "co-exist" with live-action Spidey film projects, though it "will exist independently of the projects in the live-action Spider-Man universe"

So it will be considered canon with the other Spidey films but act as a stand-alone movie thus nothing major / spideworld altering will happen that carries over into any films that follow, right ?!

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

What they could do, since we're getting a new rebooted Spidey in Marvel is to do a movie set in the future after Peter has retired and do Miles as the new Spider-Man.
    It could be a speculative future of the Marvel universe, therefore coexisting with the live-action projects, yet be independent.

Or they could do that Spidey comic crossover story with Tobey and Andrew voicing animated versions of themselves and maybe bring back Christopher Barnes as the Fox Kids Spidey, put in Ultimate Spider-Man and so on.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Custodes View Post
    Hope it is not for kids.
    I don't think they're going to stop making superhero movies for kids with the Spider-Man cartoon.

Quote Originally Posted by zwixxx View Post
    "The animated film is said to "co-exist" with live-action Spidey film projects, though it "will exist independently of the projects in the live-action Spider-Man universe"

So it will be considered canon with the other Spidey films but act as a stand-alone movie thus nothing major / spideworld altering will happen that carries over into any films that follow, right ?!
    Yeah that wording is super confusing. And they're saying the "live-action Spider-Man universe", not the MCU. Weird

I have mixed feelings about this, I'm not that interested in animation

Astonishing Member

This sounds all kinds of confusing to be honest.

I'm not sure why they wouldn't just make Miller and Lord the creative minds behind the next live action Spidey film.

I have no doubt that this is likely to be the best Spider-man film ever made, and will completely capture Spider-man in his purest form.

I hope it has nothing to do with any other established Spider-man mythos either (Spectacular or otherwise). Miller and Lord should be given the room to tell the Spider-man story that they want to tell without being constrained by continuity.

I thought marvel only sold the live action rights to there characters. Animation and video games i thought still belonged to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceebiro View Post
    This sounds all kinds of confusing to be honest.

I'm not sure why they wouldn't just make Miller and Lord the creative minds behind the next live action Spidey film.

I have no doubt that this is likely to be the best Spider-man film ever made, and will completely capture Spider-man in his purest form.

I hope it has nothing to do with any other established Spider-man mythos either (Spectacular or otherwise). Miller and Lord should be given the room to tell the Spider-man story that they want to tell without being constrained by continuity.
    Maybe im mixing people up but didnt they just get hired to bring flash to the big screen?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    I thought marvel only sold the live action rights to there characters. Animation and video games i thought still belonged to them.
    Maybe this is part of their new deal with Marvel? Although Sony are the ones that did that MTV cartoon.

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    Maybe this is part of their new deal with Marvel? Although Sony are the ones that did that MTV cartoon.
    How is it sony does some cartoons and marvel does others. I.swear the deals marvel made are confusing and convoluted.
    So marvel and sony can make animated projects or did marvel jus let sony make spectacular spiderman as part of a one time deal and this movie is tied to the sharing spidey deal.

I mean back then marvel needed sony probaly to get spidey cartoons out. So maybe they were joint ventures. But t nv is movie is sonys so either i dont understand the deal at all or its a result of the sharing spidey deal
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 04-23-2015 at 04:05 AM.