Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

They aren't trying to be hostile towards you. In fact, they are trying to convince you to look past your pre conceived notions of the art and read it, because it's that good of a story.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Icefanatic View Post
    Actually I was talking about media/entertainment in general. I grew up in the age of color TV, it doesn't mean I can't appreciate things in black-and-white. I know people who started reading comics in the last ten years who actually prefer the older stuff, art and all. There are artists and colorist working today who still use that style. Which is why I said you probably simply have a preference for the newer style rather than an "inability" to appreciate the classics "because you started comics really late".

"I started comics really late so I can't appreciate the classics,"

It's like saying you can't appreciate Citizen Kane or even It's A Wonderful Life because they are in black-and-white and you started with color. Or someone who grew up with CD's and digital downloads can't appreciate the sound from an LP Album. Or someone from the coming generation saying because they grew up with 3D they can't appreciate 2D movies or TV. They may have a preference for what they are familiar with and grew up with, but that doesn't mean they are literally incapable of appreciating older stuff and styles.
    Actually that's true. I have friends who can't watch movies prior to 1995 because of the color and what not. So although there are people who can enjoy old stuff, there are also people who can't. The reason I said I can't appreciate classics is because I tried and I just can't' get into it, the art is just so distracting.

Quote Originally Posted by !Pharozonk! View Post
    They aren't trying to be hostile towards you. In fact, they are trying to convince you to look past your pre conceived notions of the art and read it, because it's that good of a story.
    Actually the story is the only thing still motivating me. I did actually try once with House of M and I just couldn't get past the art. I can't even watch the 90s cartoon that I grew up loving, sigh.. I don't know what's wrong with me.

I'm Drowning For You Imraith Nimphais's Avatar

Nothing is wrong with you, Aesthete18...you are just one of those personalities who like wot they like and are more in tuned/interested in/connected with wot's happening in the now rather than in the past.

Though how could anyone not like Olivier Coipel...is quite beyond my ken. (And you call yourself "Aesthete"...pfft!)
    Sun and Moon
    STORM #1...Greg Pak (W) Victor Ibanez (A/CA)...July 23rd 2014
    Those who embrace nature are in turn embraced by her.

Quote Originally Posted by Imraith Nimphais View Post
    more in tuned/interested in/connected with wot's happening in the now rather than in the past.
    If you like them, that's cool, but to compare newer X-Men comics to those of the past is laughable.
    Last edited by Pharozonk; 05-25-2014 at 06:54 AM.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Not really...the overall creative production today...using advanced technology at hand...is far superior.

The art, and the writing especially...far less than. (And that's because I personally think the artists and writers of today are just not that gifted at their craft and how they apply it.)

As much as I love and appreciate the 80's and earlier I can see why someone like Aesthete18 wouldn't. Classic Claremont and Cockrum/Byrne, like Shakespeare, is certainly not for everyone.
    Last edited by Imraith Nimphais; 05-25-2014 at 07:08 AM.
    Sun and Moon

I would love to read/see Aesthete18's reaction when, after reading the book, he realises that Wolverine really wasn't the star of the Story, that 75% of the movie cast were never there and that the story itself is a very, very loose adaptation of the classic tale.

He will, no doubt greatly prefer the movie.
    Sun and Moon

Quote Originally Posted by Aesthete18 View Post
    What I meant was anything in the 90s and prior. The cover looks good but after looking at some images via Google, it still looks bad.
    I actually see what you're saying here. There's certainly an adjustment to the older style art that's present in the 80's etc. However, I'm confident that if you stick it out for a little you'll become very accustomed to it as I did and you'll learn to love it. Give the old stuff a chance, you won't regret it in the long run! Pick up a Phoenix saga trade, stick it out then launch straight into the DOFP title. I bet by the time you get to DOFP you'll have become accustomed to the art. There's always going to be hostility towards you lot who haven't read the classics. Pinch of salt, my friend.

Thank you! This might be what I'm looking for, I'll do some research on it.
    I got the first one that was posted. Yet I found it lacking returned and exchanged it.. Days of future past with a Kitty Pryde Alien rip-off story. I don't hate Kitty. The ending felt like they took it straight out the way Alien ended.

If it helps the version I posted includes:

X-men 141, Uncanny X-men 142, X-men Annual 14, Excalibur 52, 66-67, Days of Future Past 1-3, Material from Fantastic Four Annual 23, New Mutants Annual 6, X-factor annual 5 and Hulk Broken Worlds 2.

If you don't like the older art. Then you don't like it. Give some of the older comics a try yet don't force yourself to read them if you don't want. I'm not a fan of Walta art. There is some I like. For the most part I dislike it. I make no apologies for it. People have different tastes. No one should be forced to like something because a majority does.
    Last edited by sureshot; 05-25-2014 at 10:25 AM.
    Jean loves me this I know because the church says it so.

Havok and Emma were right.

Amazing Member

Nothing is wrong with you, Aesthete18...you are just one of those personalities who like wot they like and are more in tuned/interested in/connected with wot's happening in the now rather than in the past.

Though how could anyone not like Olivier Coipel...is quite beyond my ken. (And you call yourself "Aesthete"...pfft!)
    Hahahah I picked that name out of a dictionary when I was 13 so there's no real credibility there I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by !Pharozonk! View Post
    If you like them, that's cool, but to compare newer X-Men comics to those of the past is laughable.
    That's exactly how I feel about the art work!

I would love to read/see Aesthete18's reaction when, after reading the book, he realises that Wolverine really wasn't the star of the Story, that 75% of the movie cast were never there and that the story itself is a very, very loose adaptation of the classic tale.

He will, no doubt greatly prefer the movie.
    Actually I've always known that Wolvy isn't like the superstar he is made out to be in the movies. I never liked the fact that they made him this tall, action-hero type guy for the movies but Jackman's aight though so can't complain that much. The DOFP movie is riddled with so many plot holes it annoys me, I just wonder how a true fan tolerates these things.

Quote Originally Posted by GallowGlass View Post
    I actually see what you're saying here. There's certainly an adjustment to the older style art that's present in the 80's etc. However, I'm confident that if you stick it out for a little you'll become very accustomed to it as I did and you'll learn to love it. Give the old stuff a chance, you won't regret it in the long run! Pick up a Phoenix saga trade, stick it out then launch straight into the DOFP title. I bet by the time you get to DOFP you'll have become accustomed to the art. There's always going to be hostility towards you lot who haven't read the classics. Pinch of salt, my friend.
    Yeah I feel so limited because of my taste. I was previously interested in Dr. Strange and his origin story but couldn't get into that because all the good stuff is old. He's got that season one thing though so I might check that out. Not sure about the Phoenix Saga but I think 100 pages of DOFP should seal the deal whether I'm for or against the older stuff and while I've still got the excitement after watching the movie, DOFP is the best place to start.

Quote Originally Posted by sureshot View Post
    I got the first one that was posted. Yet I found it lacking returned and exchanged it.. Days of future past with a Kitty Pryde Alien rip-off story. I don't hate Kitty. The ending felt like they took it straight out the way Alien ended.

If it helps the version I posted includes:

X-men 141, Uncanny X-men 142, X-men Annual 14, Excalibur 52, 66-67, Days of Future Past 1-3, Material from Fantastic Four Annual 23, New Mutants Annual 6, X-factor annual 5 and Hulk Broken Worlds 2.

If you don't like the older art. Then you don't like it. Give some of the older comics a try yet don't force yourself to read them if you don't want. I'm not a fan of Walta art. There is some I like. For the most part I dislike it. I make no apologies for it. People have different tastes. No one should be forced to like something because a majority does.
    Couldn't really find any samples of it except for that cover page. Is the art updated or is it the same? I'll give DOFP a try, I want to know the story. I'll have to tolerate the art and hopefully I get into it by the end. That Infinity artwork though, damn! so gorgeous.

Couldn't really find any samples of it except for that cover page. Is the art updated or is it the same? I'll give DOFP a try, I want to know the story. I'll have to tolerate the art and hopefully I get into it by the end. That Infinity artwork though, damn! so gorgeous.
    The cover is different. It's always been the one of kitty and wolverine standing in front of the wanted posters imo. I'm not a expert so I could be wrong on that.
    Jean loves me this I know because the church says it so.

Havok and Emma were right.