Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Alonso: "Everything you know about Marvel Comics is about to change "

New interview about the ramifications of Secret Wars.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/22/84...onso-interview

Much in it has been mentioned before, but this is the first time I recall actually getting it confirmed that some things will be outright replaced.

There's been a lot of talk about how this may or may not be a reboot. My understanding is this is effectively changing the fabric of that multiverse but not necessarily the characters. Is that right?

Yeah, I'd say that’s what this is. It's ultimately for the readers to decide what they're seeing. What I will say is that we don't believe our continuity or our universe is broken. We don't believe it needs to be fixed. And I think that this story will bear that out. We have a tremendous opportunity here to transform the Marvel universe in a way that makes for incredible stories down the road, for the next 10, 20 years worth of publishing. This is an instance where we're going to be bringing into the Marvel universe new characters, new regions, new concepts, and, in certain cases replacing, out of necessity, some pieces that were on the board. And it's going to make this a lively debate on the internet and beyond.

Hmm....

Would you say that there are certain characters that take a central role in the overarching conflict? Characters who really bear the weight of this conflict more?

I'm reluctant to give spoilers, but I will say that people who overlook [the upcoming] Ultimate End run, featuring Ultimate Spider-Man, do so at their own peril. Miles is a very, very important character to the story. And he's not alone. So too with the female Thor. You'll see when you read.
    Last edited by yet another; 04-23-2015 at 12:20 AM.

Ultimate Member

Honestly, it all sounds very reboot-y.

But lets wait and see.

I think we'll get a new mainstream universe and all new alt. universes, but things will be very similar to how they are now, with some changes.
    I don't think we'll get all new origins for everyone or anything that drastic, but what do I know? I'm just along for the ride.

It sounds worse to me. I am getting very sad. He said quite a few things that I did not want to hear.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

And yet again, this sounds more and more like a good jumping off point from Marvel entirely. I'm sorry, but I really don't see anything that's going to survive 10 or 20 years from this event, much less inspire incredible stories that last that long.

Seriously, what 'necessity' prompts replacing anyone??? If Marvel isn't being forced to follow the movies, and their books really are dictated by story ideas, not editorial and higher up directives, as they keep claiming, then there shouldn't be an 'necessary' replacements.

As for Miles importance ... I hope he's not talking about the Hickman event. That will be beyond disappointing.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Adjudicator

Honestly the more I read about this, the more it feels like an event to push their new big character replacements.
    The old see how cool captain falcon, and lady Thor are, and how cool kid nova and miles morales are. So because we say they are cool forget about all your favorites they are replacing and love what we are writing now. Sorry off my soap box now

The more Alonso says, the less interested I am in whatever comes after Secret Wars.

I just want to read the characters I like reading about, but constantly have to have it worked around the next big thing Marvel's doing, or have those characters run into the ground because someone thought of a new, nonsensical direction to take them in, or have a lack of marketing so it only lasts 8-12 issues anyways, even if I do like it.

It's hard being a Marvel fan when characters you want to enjoy are caught in a wave of gimmicks, mediocrity and lack of support.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

Spectacular Member Agent John Bishop's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post

As for Miles importance ... I hope he's not talking about the Hickman event. That will be beyond disappointing.
    This! Hickman has been building a thing, very carefully over the last two years, and I would hate for that to get sidelined to advertize the characters that are going to be on Waid's avengers team. I don't mind Miles being around or anything, he's a great character, but I am more anxious to get closure on the hundred some character arcs going on in Avengers/New Avengers. I have to just trust Hickman, he didn't disappoint with Infinity.

Edit: Actually Bendis answered this in an interview not that long ago. Apparently Miles was always in Hickman's gameplan which is curious but interesting. As long as I am not forced to read ultimate end I will be happy.
    Last edited by Agent John Bishop; 04-23-2015 at 02:51 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by AHall88 View Post
    I think we'll get a new mainstream universe and all new alt. universes, but things will be very similar to how they are now, with some changes.
    I don't think we'll get all new origins for everyone or anything that drastic, but what do I know? I'm just along for the ride.
    This isn't going to be a Star Wars style reboot where everything that came before (in the Expanded Universe) is thrown out the window. This is going to be a "5 years later" style reboot most of what came before COULD be canon, if you so desire, but it will be a clean up of the niggly parts of the canon to harmonize it moving forward.
    Currently Reading
    Amazing Spider-Man, Avengers, Avenging Spider-Man, Captain America, Daredevil, Fantastic Four, FF, Journey Into Mystery, New Avengers, New Mutants, Scarlet Spider, Venom, Wolverine, Ultimate Comics Spider-Man, Ultimate Comics Ultimates, Ultimate Comics X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, X-Men

I will keep an eye on how Secret Wars unfolds and what changes and titles come out of it.
    I have no plans or wish to read any right now, but will follow via the internet and maybe
    after the dust clears, maybe I will find a few new titles of interest before Christmas.

Where did you get that quote you've got in your Thread heading?

The Alonso interview was nothing new, but the heading was more interesting because it supposes a complete change, which nothing in the interview suggests at all.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    Where did you get that quote you've got in your Thread heading?

The Alonso interview was nothing new, but the heading was more interesting because it supposes a complete change, which nothing in the interview suggests at all.
    It's the name of the linked to article.

So yes, Alonso did not say that exact phrase (my bad for giving that impression), though I think it also serves as a pretty accurate summary of everything he did say there. After you have accounted for the usual pre-event hyperbole at least!

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

I think some folks are confused about the meaning of reboot, as it pertains to comics. Reboot means everything that came before is discarded as if it never existed, and you start over with a blank slate, except with familiar characters -- only now they have a new history.

Even though Marvel has wiped out their entire multiverse a few times before, they don't discard their history and start over with a blank slate. Even Heroes Reborn and the Ultimate Universe, while very much like reboots, they ended up being alt-universes, and 616 history / universe was not discarded.

It sounds as if Marvel will be keeping it's history, even after a universe changing event. It sounds like the same characters with the same histories -- from a variety of alternate worlds --are just now going to be in a different universe together. That's not a reboot.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

After Secret Wars Marvel should change thier name to PC Comics.

Everything is political now. Or shock value and gimicks. There is very little story anymore. No character growth.

And movies have changed characters to jokes (Starlord for example)

It feels like the 616 ended with Age of Ultron.
    "Dear World: the nation of mutantkind is watching you. Do not #$%& with us." -Cable-

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I think some folks are confused about the meaning of reboot, as it pertains to comics. Reboot means everything that came before is discarded as if it never existed, and you start over with a blank slate, except with familiar characters -- only now they have a new history.

Even though Marvel has wiped out their entire multiverse a few times before, they don't discard their history and start over with a blank slate. Even Heroes Reborn and the Ultimate Universe, while very much like reboots, they ended up being alt-universes, and 616 history / universe was not discarded.

It sounds as if Marvel will be keeping it's history, even after a universe changing event. It sounds like the same characters with the same histories -- from a variety of alternate worlds --are just now going to be in a different universe together. That's not a reboot.
    1. Characters from alternative worlds would be different characters with different histories.
    2. The difference between stuff like Heroes Reborn/Ultimates and this is that 616 is actually getting destroyed/discarded.
    3. A new universe where the characters have new, different histories... IS actually a reboot.