Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
    BANNED

Sure, you can. Because it's the same kinda concerns folks throw around that when they don't pan out all of a sudden everyone goes quiet and waits for the next even remotely controversial quote to get angry over.

Spectacular Member

The continuity is going to be there. This doesn't sound like a reboot.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bafflement View Post
    The difference between stuff like Heroes Reborn/Ultimates and this is that 616 is actually getting destroyed/discarded.
    It's not being discarded.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    Sure, you can. Because it's the same kinda concerns folks throw around that when they don't pan out all of a sudden everyone goes quiet and waits for the next even remotely controversial quote to get angry over.
    I can't count how many times Marvel's billed an event where they say "Nothing will ever be the same" (which is along the lines of "change is coming") and it hasn't had with ramifications that are obviously meant to be controversial. Civil War had Cap assassinated, Axis retconned QS/SW's origins, Original Sin ruined Nick Fury etc. And those are just the events.

So it's not exactly unwarranted that when Marvel says to expect big change, dread occasionally follows. Many of the "big changes" hyped up in the past haven't exactly all been met with open arms, so I don't think it's unfair to assume what follows this will be more of the same.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

If it quacks like a reboot, it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Melab View Post
    It's not being discarded.
    The vast majority of it is, in fact, being discarded.

The continuity is going to be there. This doesn't sound like a reboot.
    Most of what we've seen so far is alt-universe stuff. A lot, like A-Force, has little to no continuity involved.
    Last edited by MyriVerse; 04-24-2015 at 08:20 AM.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    The vast majority of it is, in fact, being discarded.
    Okay, what is being discarded?

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    Most of what we've seen so far is alt-universe stuff. A lot, like A-Force, has little to no continuity involved.
    What does this have to do with what I was saying? Alternate universes are part of continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Of Orphans View Post
    If Marvel's lost the ability to gain the benefit of the doubt from some fans, then that's on them due to past mistakes. I can understand and respect the "I'll wait to read it" angle, but you can't blame some fans for being pessimistic about how they hype this event. We've heard it before.

It's now their job to move away from "big change is coming" being synonymous with "big whoop is coming" if the fans who are truly concerned about SW matter to them. If they want to move in a direction where the focus is bringing in new fans at the expense of others, then they'll have to weigh their options and determine if it's worth it. Personally, I think it'll be a temporary pull for them, with potentially permanent ramifications, but we'll see.
    Haven't people been saying this same refrain for years though? Look back in a letter page from the '60s or '70s and I'm sure we'll see similar laments.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Of Orphans View Post
    I can't count how many times Marvel's billed an event where they say "Nothing will ever be the same" (which is along the lines of "change is coming") and it hasn't had with ramifications that are obviously meant to be controversial. Civil War had Cap assassinated, Axis retconned QS/SW's origins, Original Sin ruined Nick Fury etc. And those are just the events.

So it's not exactly unwarranted that when Marvel says to expect big change, dread occasionally follows. Many of the "big changes" hyped up in the past haven't exactly all been met with open arms, so I don't think it's unfair to assume what follows this will be more of the same.
    If "big whoop" has been the status quo forever - if nothing is ever CHANGED FOREVER - why get pessimistic in the first place? Can't people's just accept the reality of the situation? It doesn't bother me one bit that Marvel uses hyperbole to advertise - it's like Rule #1 of advertising anything. The focus should be on enjoying the comic in front of your face rather than demanding that Marvel keep every promise it makes, shouldn't it?

Okay, what is being discarded?
    It's all speculation, and anyone who claims to know the end result of SW is fooling only themselves.

As PoO said, Marvel generally promises big changes but eventually reverts to the status quo consistently. I doubt this will be any different. Maybe a few small changes will happen, but I seriously doubt - again, based on historical evidence - that we will see anything resembling a hard reboot.

-Pav, who tries not to drink too much haterade...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

How many times do they have to say "it's not a reboot"

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    At least as many times as they say "this will change everything."

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    Haven't people been saying this same refrain for years though? Look back in a letter page from the '60s or '70s and I'm sure we'll see similar laments.
    The hows and whys have changed since then. Not to mention the commonality of it. Original ideas seemed to get a better push back then if I'm being honest. Feels like the gimmicks used now don't aim to please comics fans as much.

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    If "big whoop" has been the status quo forever - if nothing is ever CHANGED FOREVER - why get pessimistic in the first place? Can't people's just accept the reality of the situation? It doesn't bother me one bit that Marvel uses hyperbole to advertise - it's like Rule #1 of advertising anything. The focus should be on enjoying the comic in front of your face rather than demanding that Marvel keep every promise it makes, shouldn't it?
    Like I mentioned earlier, a lot of changes tend to come at the expense of other characters as well, and sometimes extend to their fanbase too, who feel jilted as a result. It's just time and time again that I personally have been let down by the promise of change. Marvel tries to make it come off like change means improvement when often it hasn't. At least not for me. I can't remain positive about the coming of promised change when I've disliked the majority of what it has meant in the past. I'd love to enjoy it, but I can't shake this irksome feeling.
    Last edited by Of Atlantis; 04-24-2015 at 10:47 AM.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    They got tired of saying it, so Alonso specifically did not say that in the linked interview. So now he's left open the possibility that it will be.

People that will want us to say, unequivocally, that this is or isn't a reboot, and we won't do that.
    So, they won't say that it isn't a reboot.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    We have NO IDEA what the future is going to look like.
    Quoted in agreement.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    They tried that with Havok in Uncanny Avengers. It was controversial and was not nearly as successful as many hoped it would be.
    Maybe I missed some stuff, but in my reading of that run, Havok was team leader in name only. He wasn't treated, written or depicted as being a leader of a team of Avengers.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by xcoijoi View Post
    As always, open to being entertained.

And hopefully, to more Thanos stories, along the way.
    Since you mentioned everyone's favorite Mad Titan, I am curious as to your thoughts on Hickman's Infinity as well as the Thanos Annual and The Infinity Revelation. If you don't mind, of course.

I mainly read DC Comics, but I am interested to see what comes out of Secret Wars. Right now I am just reading Thor, Capt. Marvel, and Black Widow, so I am curious to see what they will look like when the dust settles. I plan to read Avengers/New Avengers at some point.