Default morning glories discussion

So I have read every issue out. And I'll confess I don't have the slightest idea what is going on. It's a good book with lots of mystery and intrigue but maybe too much. I think spreading it all out they are trying to do too much and frankly it confuses me. When it was solicited they billed it as Runaways meets Lost and while I loved both I think they try too much. I loved lost. Each season introduced a new element to the mythology. With morning glories they are't waiting. Its been 40 plus issues and it feels like we are at season 4 already.

Anyone else have this problem. I really wish they would have a map explaining things. Maybe I'm just too dumb.

If you read the Morning Glories Academy rundown, they do good at explaining the stories for readers like me who can't figure it out for themselves. And the impression I get is that the professionals are just as confused as the rest of us. But they at least word the confusion in a way that allows me to know what parts I'm supposed to be confused about. If I didn't read those backups, I would be completely lost at this point.

Amazing Member

It's just a title you need to reread quite often. Around #12 or so I was getting confused, so I reread them and got a better picture. Same thing around #20. Then again around #30. Since then I haven't reread them and I admit things are getting jumbled in my mind, especially since I read 50+ other titles. But I know if I reread them it would get clearer again.

So some people will see that and not like it but I appreciate that I get more of the story every time I read it without paying more. I just hope sales keep up so he can finish the story on his terms and doesn't have to rush things.

♥♥عابث سولاناس♥♥ Park Slope Pixie's Avatar

The Study Hall annotations at the end help a LOT.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by abysslord View Post
    It's just a title you need to reread quite often. Around #12 or so I was getting confused, so I reread them and got a better picture. Same thing around #20. Then again around #30. Since then I haven't reread them and I admit things are getting jumbled in my mind, especially since I read 50+ other titles. But I know if I reread them it would get clearer again.

So some people will see that and not like it but I appreciate that I get more of the story every time I read it without paying more. I just hope sales keep up so he can finish the story on his terms and doesn't have to rush things.
    This, exactly.

All-New Member

I have read the first deluxe edition and have quite enjoyed it. But my big concern is the fact that it is so similar to Lost. Lost was one huuuuuuuuge disappointment.
    It started out strong but pretty soon it became obvious that they just pulled mystery upon mystery out of somewhere without any of them making any sense (ok, maybe some did but you get my point).

If you don't have to have a "reasonable" explanation, it is easy to make up 500 "mysteries" a day. Most of them even before breakfast.

In the end you would be sitting there and asking yourself if that nonsense was worth all that precious time. I enjoy good stories as much as the next guy but if you make a mystery story then there should be a point to it. It has to be connected and it has to make sense in the created universe. That requirement seems to have been lost on the Lost guys :-)
    Everything else is just lazy writing!!!!!!

So my concern is if Morning Glories might go down that route. In the case of Lost probably during the 3rd season a lot of fans started to realize that the story might end up in just a huge mess (which it did).

What do you think, how is Morning Glories doing? Will there be a point? Should one continue reading? Will it be worth it? Will I dream?

I like to read in collected edition and don't want to spend another 250 bucks to find out that it is all a dream or the school is limbo or whatever else is needed because the story was just made up issue after issue (instead of planned out).

Haven't read much about the creator so what do you think?

Amazing Member

Nick Spencer has said he knows the story and the ending, so while the middle may seem too long or aimless for some, at least we shouldn't worry about things getting made up as they go along. That's my concern with long mysteries too and then when you look back at the work as a whole it's obvious it wasn't planned out well.

Hopefully that won't be the case with Morning Glories.

Quote Originally Posted by romeop View Post
    I have read the first deluxe edition and have quite enjoyed it. But my big concern is the fact that it is so similar to Lost. Lost was one huuuuuuuuge disappointment.
    It started out strong but pretty soon it became obvious that they just pulled mystery upon mystery out of somewhere without any of them making any sense (ok, maybe some did but you get my point).

If you don't have to have a "reasonable" explanation, it is easy to make up 500 "mysteries" a day. Most of them even before breakfast.

In the end you would be sitting there and asking yourself if that nonsense was worth all that precious time. I enjoy good stories as much as the next guy but if you make a mystery story then there should be a point to it. It has to be connected and it has to make sense in the created universe. That requirement seems to have been lost on the Lost guys :-)

So my concern is if Morning Glories might go down that route. In the case of Lost probably during the 3rd season a lot of fans started to realize that the story might end up in just a huge mess (which it did).

What do you think, how is Morning Glories doing? Will there be a point? Should one continue reading? Will it be worth it? Will I dream?

I like to read in collected edition and don't want to spend another 250 bucks to find out that it is all a dream or the school is limbo or whatever else is needed because the story was just made up issue after issue (instead of planned out).

I love lost which is one of the reasons I bought into this series.

I just finished reading the hardcover featuring the first twelve issues. The premise of Morning Glories is interesting enough (Breakfast Club meets The Prisoner), but the plot twists are too ridiculous. And I get a very strong Lost vibe from the constant generation of new mysteries. From me, that is not a compliment. I dropped Lost during the second season as it became obvious that the writers didn't have a plan beyond make stuff up as they go. By the final season, there was no possible explanation for Lost that could have reasonably pulled together everything that happened. Spencer may have a plan for his story, but he should have planned on throwing the readers a bone once in a while. As it stands, I'm not satisfied with the storytelling of the first twelve issues, and online comments suggest that I would only get more disgruntled if I keep reading. The artwork is okay, but not enough to keep me hooked when I am unhappy with the story.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by romeop View Post

I don't think it's headed down the "senselessness for the sake of senselessness path". There is a very strong internal logic to the story but you just don't have all the pieces to string it together. You can see there's an aim and NS it working toward it. To me, MG is more like Mulholland Dr, which isn't senseless at all, you just need to understand the narrative in a certain way.

To be honest, this is the only comic for which I absolutely won't skip a monthly release.

There are many things that are intriguing:

1. Why does Hunter weigh so much?
    2. How many people are in on the "mission"?
    3. Who is the headmaster? (I'm actually pretty sure I know who it is...)
    4. How did these kids receive their various powers?
    5. What's up with Gribbs? Hodge? Daramount? Abraham?
    6. What is the tesseract and what do Vanessa and Ike have to do with it?
    7. Who is David?

There's a lot more. You have to pay attention to every panel and you have to watch for things like interrupted dialog, clothing, trappings (like a greenhouse with morning glories in it; apples; etc.) For me, it's an engaging puzzle, maybe like Primer or Inception...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    Spencer may have a plan for his story, but he should have planned on throwing the readers a bone once in a while.
    He does nothing but throw bones issue-to-issue...

Gonna give it a reread but I did finish season 1.

I am majorly interested in what Hunter's deal is.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

To be honest, I was hoping that Morning Glories was going to be more like FreakAngels.