Page 197 of 200 FirstFirst ... 97147187193194195196197198199200 LastLast
Results 2,941 to 2,955 of 2993

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Adam View Post
    Can't believe I've just seen a trailer for an actual Aquaman MOVIE! Orm, Manta, Mera it's an amazing time to be an Aquafan!

Apparently they showed Arthur in his traditional costume in the "secret trailer" at Hall H too.

Calling it now this will be the highest grossing DCEU movie yet.
    the trailer was amazing!

wait, there's a "secret trailer"?

The trailer looked great and I hope this movie is a critical and financial success. I think the Aquaman mythos is long overdue for the limelight.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Adam View Post
    Great stuff! Really happy for the Norris family.

Attachment 68540
    That is very heartwarming to see.

However, It's rare that the descendants of the creators are on good terms with the corporate storytellers whose predecessors inevitably screwed their families out of potential revenue.

Chuck Dixon's lucrative Bane deal is the exception, not the norm.

Can I ask: how did you manage to get that tweet to appear directly in your post? Nothing I copy from Twitter seems to show up on these forums

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

The trailer itself is great, I like how Atlantis and Black Manta look most of all. The submarine lifting, the tsunami, war of Atlantis, all look great.
    Mera's hair stands out too much for me because it's a very... wig or painted... color. Like it's not natural red hair color. Especially right next to Aquaman who always looks really dirty or earthy ^^
    Looks really good at night though.

Anyway, I saw some trailer reaction and one of them said today's superhero need to have a good humor, and that he didn't really enjoy Thor Ragnarok until one scene where the hero says something really funny and made him laugh. I think I'm starting to understand now why people complaining about DC being dark.

These people don't watch it to see a superhero movie, they watch it to see a funny or fun movie first, with superhero being secondary, and that's fine, but they came to define superhero as something that has to be funny, while comic fans, or maybe DC/WB longs for comic to be taken seriously.

That guy like Shazam! by the way.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I would rather Aquaman be rich in drama and pathos, and not quippy.

I loved the trailer.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I would rather Aquaman be rich in drama and pathos, and not quippy.

I loved the trailer.
    Sad that the film will probably explore more of Atlantis and the Seven Seas than the actual comic does. Hopefully the films success propels the comics to start exploring his world more.

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    the trailer was amazing!

wait, there's a "secret trailer"?
    Yeah James Wan showed an extended 6 minute trailer to the audience at Comic-Con with apparently lots more Black Manta and Arthur in his classic costume, sadly this was an exclusive to the panel thing.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Can I ask: how did you manage to get that tweet to appear directly in your post? Nothing I copy from Twitter seems to show up on these forums
    Don't worry I have the same issue so I did it the old fashion way just took a screen cap!
    When you crush an ant beneath your foot, do feel remorse? No. Is this because you are evil or because you recognize yourself as a higher form of life? This is what the Wizard could not understand. If I have the powers of the gods, then am I not a god myself? Should I not be treated as such?

Just a couple of questions for true Aquaman Comic books fans.

But, first of all, a little history. I have never, ever been a fan of Aquaman. My first impression of Aquaman was Super Friends, so that says it all. I have never read any of his comic books, even though I have about 40% DC comics in my 100K plus collection. Many years ago when Aquaman was shown to have grown a beard or grown a hook it made me laugh inside as I looked at the covers; "You can never ever make this dork cool", I thought to myself.

Namor was always my first and foremost underwater hero; I loved his strength, his wings, his attitude, and his "brought back from bumville silver age origin" from FF #4.

Namor #1, Aquaman #0; for my whole life that is the way is was, and that is where I stood until JL came out.

Flash back in time now; my first book (novel) I read as a small boy was a Conan story by Robert E Howard. I Have loved Conan since that time, and that novel even made me start reading Conan comics and Savage Sword magazine, even though I had not ever read one up to that point. Flash forward again to the recent Conan movie with Jason M. as the lead role. I loved the new actor playing this role, since he was much more of what I believed Conan should look like, compared to Arnold. Next was Game of Thrones; I loved Jason in his role during season 1 of that as well.

Present day. Because of my fondness for Jason, I gave Aquaman a "Chance" in JL, and decided I would not hate the character just because it was Aquaman. I was totally surprised and delighted of Jason's portrayal as the king of the DC seas. Even though I am a Superman fan, I liked Aquaman's portrayal in JL more than any of the other characters. Now on to the questions.

After watching Jason as Aquaman in JL, and then watching the Trailer for the movie this morning, I am totally blown away!! This movie has me more excited than any other DC movie that has ever come out (including the very first Superman movie back in the day). I truly believe that Aquaman will be DC's Black Panther and kill it at the box office. All the amazing characters I saw in the 2-3 minute clip, the Black Manta, the strength, the cocky attitude of Jason, the kingdom below the sea; the challenge for the throne, the young Arthur at the aquarium. It all really, really took my breath away! I cannot wait to see this AT the movies (I have waited for DVD for the other newer DC movies)!

Questions for long time Aquaman fans:

1. Will it bother you that many fans will flock to Aquaman based solely on Jason's portrayal of the hero in the movies, and nothing at all to do with any of his past comic book runs?
    2. I see, in comic previews, that Aquaman is starting to look more and more like Jason's Aquaman (except for the blond hair). Will it be okay with you if they make him look even more like Jason in the future (going shirtless sometimes, lots of tattoos, etc.)?
    3. Have any of you ever seen a character lifted up so much by a tv or movie portrayal of a character, that (in my opinion), has moved that character away from his comic self?

Being honest, if the comic character today was more like the "movie Aquaman", I would add his comic to my pull list. I will be rooting for this change. Good luck Aquaman fans, I really do hope that this movie does set a new standard for Aquaman for many years to come.

Peace and Love,
    Mantis Dad
    Last edited by Mantis Dad; 07-22-2018 at 08:07 PM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis Dad View Post

1. Will it bother you that many fans will flock to Aquaman based solely on Jason's portrayal of the hero in the movies, and nothing at all to do with any of his past comic book runs?
    2. I see, in comic previews, that Aquaman is starting to look more and more like Jason's Aquaman (except for the blond hair). Will it be okay with you if they make him look even more like Jason in the future (going shirtless sometimes, lots of tattoos, etc.)?
    3. Have any of you ever seen a character lifted up so much by a tv or movie portrayal of a character, that (in my opinion), has moved that character away from his comic self?

Being honest, if the comic character today was more like the "movie Aquaman", I would add his comic to my pull list. I will be rooting for this change. Good luck Aquaman fans, I really do hope that this movie does set a new standard for Aquaman for many years to come.

Peace and Love,
    Mantis Dad
    I'm sort of in the opposite boat of you, but i was introduced to Aquaman from the Super Friends, and since he has always been my favorite super hero.

1. Not me, because more exposure will only result in more Aquaman for us comic fans. As his popularity grows, we'll probably get more Aquaman comics, better showings of him in JL. As an Aquaman fan, i've seen how he's been slighted in comics, so hopefully that will come to an end (After Throne of Atlantis he hardly contributed at all in JL), so i'm excited to see how Aquaman is treated post movie.

2. Doesn't bother me, because my favorite Aquaman run is Peter David's which is where the beard and the hook came from. Awesome story line. Must read! But aqua fans are about 50% divided on his look. Half like classic look and half like the beard.

3. The thing is there's been lot of different portrayals. Classic, noble King of the Seven Seas, Peter David, Brooding, Resentful, John's almost like a merger, best from both, Brave and Bold over the top.

Hope that helped.

1. Not really since IMO Momoa's character resembles both the Peter David and JLU animated versions: bit more stoic, moody and rough around the edges. Also Wan looks like he is taking inspiration heavily from the comics and the Throne of Atlantis story in particular.

2. I personally prefer Arthur's clean cut look, his Brightest Day/New 52 look was perfect. The shirtless bearded look was great for the 90's when they wanted to make him "edgier" but think we have moved on from that. Currently he is stuck in this odd place between the movie and classic version and just ends up looking like Aquajesus.

3. Harley Quinn in Suicide Squad I guess? That's not to say the Arthur we get at the end of the movie will be the same as the beginning of the movie/JL think he will become closer to the comic book version.
    When you crush an ant beneath your foot, do feel remorse? No. Is this because you are evil or because you recognize yourself as a higher form of life? This is what the Wizard could not understand. If I have the powers of the gods, then am I not a god myself? Should I not be treated as such?

The only thing I don't care for concerning the DCEU/WODC Aquaman thus far is the AquaBro/yeeehaaw stuff. I don't think it adds but rather subtracts. But the trailer looks great and I am excited for Wan's success

But, first of all, a little history. I have never, ever been a fan of Aquaman. My first impression of Aquaman was Super Friends, so that says it all. I have never read any of his comic books, even though I have about 40% DC comics in my 100K plus collection. Many years ago when Aquaman was shown to have grown a beard or grown a hook it made me laugh inside as I looked at the covers; "You can never ever make this dork cool", I thought to myself.

Namor was always my first and foremost underwater hero; I loved his strength, his wings, his attitude, and his "brought back from bumville silver age origin" from FF #4.

Namor #1, Aquaman #0; for my whole life that is the way is was, and that is where I stood until JL came out.

Flash back in time now; my first book (novel) I read as a small boy was a Conan story by Robert E Howard. I Have loved Conan since that time, and that novel even made me start reading Conan comics and Savage Sword magazine, even though I had not ever read one up to that point. Flash forward again to the recent Conan movie with Jason M. as the lead role. I loved the new actor playing this role, since he was much more of what I believed Conan should look like, compared to Arnold. Next was Game of Thrones; I loved Jason in his role during season 1 of that as well.

Present day. Because of my fondness for Jason, I gave Aquaman a "Chance" in JL, and decided I would not hate the character just because it was Aquaman. I was totally surprised and delighted of Jason's portrayal as the king of the DC seas. Even though I am a Superman fan, I liked Aquaman's portrayal in JL more than any of the other characters. Now on to the questions.

After watching Jason as Aquaman in JL, and then watching the Trailer for the movie this morning, I am totally blown away!! This movie has me more excited than any other DC movie that has ever come out (including the very first Superman movie back in the day). I truly believe that Aquaman will be DC's Black Panther and kill it at the box office. All the amazing characters I saw in the 2-3 minute clip, the Black Manta, the strength, the cocky attitude of Jason, the kingdom below the sea; the challenge for the throne, the young Arthur at the aquarium. It all really, really took my breath away! I cannot wait to see this AT the movies (I have waited for DVD for the other newer DC movies)!

Peace and Love,
    Mantis Dad
    You never read ANY Aquaman??!! Do yourself a flavor and run out to ebay and pick up all of the PAD/LARSEN/JURGENS Aquaman as well as the Joe Kelly JLA trades. Do it now

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    You never read ANY Aquaman??!! Do yourself a flavor and run out to ebay and pick up all of the PAD/LARSEN/JURGENS Aquaman as well as the Joe Kelly JLA trades. Do it now
    I would also say Grant Morrison JLA Trades, Geoff Johns Aquaman and Justice League, since based on the trailer, it's mostly everything from Geoff Johns New 52 run plus some Aquaman from Justice League. The 2003 Aquaman series is also a good read to have.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Superfriends was on before I was even born and I've never seen it so the stigma surrounding Aquaman from the show never effected my views of the character.

I was indifferent to Aquaman until the Nu52 reboot. His 'perceived uncoolness' had no barring on me because I have enjoyed reading plenty of books featuring less popular heroes. I heard buzz about the nu52 Aquaman, I checked it out and enjoyed it which made me a fan of the character.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Yet, despite both of them appearing on TV during the '70s when I was a kid (Sub-Mariner used to appear on reruns of The Marvel Superhero Show that originally aired in the '60s when I was a toddler), Aquaman was the more popular superhero. It wasn't even close, either.

The fact is, the Aquaman jokes came years later when people started taking his appearances on Super Friends out of context. Fortunately for Namor, Marvel didn't have any shows airing on Saturday mornings at the same time Super Friends was on, since he would have been viewed decades later as just as lame. The reason is due to Action for Children's Television, which pressured the networks to tone down what most of kids back then liked about cartoons.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?