Page 15 of 200 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565115 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    same here... but she needs a really really strong supporting cast... an atlantean covert ops team perhaps (garth, kaldur, tula, dolphin?, and couple of bruiser type atlantean royal guards).
    Murk and Swat would make for good choices for the team. Especially Swat with his knowledge of the surface world.

another cool Momoa fanart Costume is different, but I think it could still work in a movie

Astonishing Member

http://www.newsarama.com/21958-dc-pr...treatment.html

Impending Secret Origin of Mera. I for one am very excited to learn more about her very mysterious and M.I.A. father, the King of Xebel, who we now know is a direct descendent of Atlan. It's good to get a callback to Nereus since we likely won't see him until Rise of the Seven Seas. I wonder if we'll get a glimpse of any of Mera's possible sisters (she should have at least one!)

I'm also chuffed at the notion that Mera was supposed to assassinate the King of Atlantis ... and their intelligence might have been a little dated, so they were thinking "Ocean Master".
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

i am glad with all the attention aquaman is getting. this franchise has a lot of potential and i hope they continue all this world building stories.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    http://www.newsarama.com/21958-dc-pr...treatment.html

Impending Secret Origin of Mera. I for one am very excited to learn more about her very mysterious and M.I.A. father, the King of Xebel, who we now know is a direct descendent of Atlan. It's good to get a callback to Nereus since we likely won't see him until Rise of the Seven Seas. I wonder if we'll get a glimpse of any of Mera's possible sisters (she should have at least one!)

I'm also chuffed at the notion that Mera was supposed to assassinate the King of Atlantis ... and their intelligence might have been a little dated, so they were thinking "Ocean Master".
    Considering in the Mera-centric issue a while back when she had a flashback to telling her father Atlantis didn't even know about thsm, its very possible they didn't have a lot of correct information.

All-New Member

Been interested in Aquaman for some time, is there a good jumping on point currently? or should I just start from the beginning?

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    i am glad with all the attention aquaman is getting. this franchise has a lot of potential and i hope they continue all this world building stories.
    I agree 100%. I think this franchise has been extremely successful since the reboot and I look forward to new ideas and adventures. I'm glad to see Mera getting her own story as she has become a favorite of mine and has really had some nice character development in her own right. I like seeing more from the people of Xebel including Nereus because I love how much it adds to the world-building as you mentioned.

I can't wait until Rise of the Seven Seas and the return of characters like Nereus and Orm and even the Trench.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    I agree 100%. I think this franchise has been extremely successful since the reboot and I look forward to new ideas and adventures. I'm glad to see Mera getting her own story as she has become a favorite of mine and has really had some nice character development in her own right. I like seeing more from the people of Xebel including Nereus because I love how much it adds to the world-building as you mentioned.

I can't wait until Rise of the Seven Seas and the return of characters like Nereus and Orm and even the Trench.
    i am intrigued with the arc as well. so there's seven seas? each with its own king? and each king could be as powerful as aquaman? and if they try to take over the surface world with their armies... err navies, then that's justice league level threat right there.

hopefully the stars align correctly. and aquaman could possibly helm a line wide cross over event similar to green lanterns blackest night.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by darkspark View Post
    Been interested in Aquaman for some time, is there a good jumping on point currently? or should I just start from the beginning?
    I can't answer that, but I'd guess start w/ Jeff Parker's run, which is #26. It's a bit behind, but I'd guess most LCS's would have all copies (the ones here do at least). Also ditto for Aquaman & the Others, which is just on #6.

You could try to catch up w/ the Johns' TPBs, which there are 4 of. A lot of that gives back story as to why Arthur is staying underwater, more background on Mera, etc. Speaking of Mera, her Secret Origin story is out this week!
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song

Quote Originally Posted by darkspark View Post
    just start with the current Aquaman run. It's solid. Aquaman #1 than once you've got that foundaiton you can expand to other titles and even Pre-Flashpoint stuff.

i'd recommend checking out Brightest Day its pretty good, at least the Aquaman portion is in my opinion.
    The J-man

BANNED

Anyone read Mera's secret origin yet? How is it?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ImprobableQuestion View Post
    It's fun. The art is bright and adventurous, which reflects her Silver Age debut ... although perhaps it's a little too bright. The surface segments are more pleasant, art-wise, than the undersea bits.

Basically it expounds upon her relationship with her father - shows him and NAMES him - and shows what relationship Nereus has to them. No sign of her sister(s). But it gives a brief, easy recap of Xebel as an outcast prison nation, and that only sinking ships can get in, and nobody can get out.

After that we get quick glimpses of Mera's mission (kill the King of Atlantis!) and how it went very wrong very fast when the guy she met was Aquaman, but how that's okay vis a vis her deceased mother's intentions and wishes. Very political! I hate real politics but I do like some fantasy politics.

She didn't come across as a cliche woman who falls for the hero because he's a stud brimming with machismo and the hero gets the girl. It was simple enough characterization, but it was, well, deep, not shallow. Water puns!

Meeting Aquaman felt as nonchalant as it did in the Silver Age, too. I think more majestic art would have alleviated or elevated that, but I kind of like that Aquaman's a disarmingly normal guy, even if you're a sea siren mermaid queen.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ImprobableQuestion View Post
    I definitely dug it. My favorite part was "I am going to kill him. Swiftly and decisively. Tomorrow." I thought that was nicely consistent with her warrior upbringing, Johns characterization of her as a little more militant, and her curiosity during her first time in the surface world. And it was damn funny.

Fantastic Member

I was definitely feeling the Mera issue.

We also got to find out that her hydrokinesis is apparently a learned ability instead of something that's exclusive to people from Xebel. We also learned it would take years to become proficient in it, so it is made clear Mera has been training for her mission for a while.

We also get to see that her father is getting old or is in failing health. We don't get to see what he looks like behind his helmet or anything, but be definitely wore himself out when he helped Mera open the gate to the surface. I love that the Bermuda Triangle is basically their front door that has a really tight lock.

I was pleased to see Mera had no negative view of humans right out the gate and felt okay asking for directions so easily. And she very quickly saw that what she had been raised to believe about the king of Atlantis is definitely some out of date information that isn't really true.