Page 200 of 200 FirstFirst ... 100150190196197198199200
Results 2,986 to 2,993 of 2993

I do like an idealistic Arthur but I kind of agree that the sarcastic wit has been toned down a lot. I feel Abnett's version tends to be a little unsure of himself more often than I'd like.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeMonster View Post
    Me too. The rock n'roll outsider angle is a great fit for Aquaman, and much more unique than what I've read from the modern comics, where he's got no personality IMO. And visually, being the sea-faring superhero, I find it fitting that his look evokes Poseidon, pirates, surfers, etc.

At least I think it's the best angle for a pre-king Arthur. I wouldn't mind if when he becomes King he becomes more regal and stoic, cleaning up his appearance for diplomatic purposes (A reluctant makeover scene could be funny actually) as at least I'd know that inside he's got another side to him.
    The current arc may fee too subdued (and it sort of does since the political and ideological spectrum is the heart of it) but "modern comics" includes the whole volume and the ones that came post PAD. There`s a lot of personality there. That said, I feel you can have the two Aquamen co-existing since the mediums work on differering formats and neither lacks personality for me.

In the movies you need someone who carries himself with visual charismatic force and that comes first as what grabs the general audience.

Congratulation on the 200th page !

Aquaman rules (the Seven Seas) !

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by soccerguy951 View Post
    I do wish our current comic Arthur had a bit more of an edge. He's a bit too watered down now trying to please everybody. My favorite version of Aquaman is PADs. And it's not about the beard or no beard debate, but personality was the perfect balance. He was serious, but had a dry sarcastic wit. He would not take any gruff from anyone, but neither was he a hot head, he was still sly, cunning and commanding, demanding respect.

By no means, do i want surfer bro to infiltrate the comics, but wouldn't have a problem with the edge that Mamoa's Aquaman radiates being inserted into the comics.

And like others have said, appearance wise i think this is as far as they go.
    I LOVED Peter David's take on Arthur.
    That said, he did drift into the TOO grim every once in a while.
    I thought Dan Jurgens did a top job when he took a swing at writing Aquaman too.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    I LOVED Peter David's take on Arthur.
    That said, he did drift into the TOO grim every once in a while.
    I thought Dan Jurgens did a top job when he took a swing at writing Aquaman too.
    I re-read the PAD run pretty recently, and I've got to say, while that's an assessment I agree with, I feel like those books would hold up better not if they were less shocking or grim, which was just a keynote part of the Nineties, but generally if they'd just had a more lush, vibrant design aesthetic. I think some of the great strengths of the Aquaman run since Brightest Day brought him back, from Johns to Parker to Abnett, has been how it looks (obviously going from Ivan Reis to more recently having Stejpan Sejic). So my feeling was ultimately that if the book had had a more classical, timeless, and fantastically "under the sea" look going on, and less of an Ultra-Nineties aspect, it would still probably hold at the top of the list of all-time Aquaman runs in most people's eyes (I always put it after the 60s-70s Vol 1, but hey). Currently thanks to many years of really good Aquabooks, I think PAD's run is finally down to like ... jeez, fourth place?
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I didn't care for PAD's Aquaman. I admit my love for the character comes from the silver age run which I was exposed to in old Showcase reprints. Other than that, New 52 onward have been some of my favorite comics DC has put out, certainly with Aquaman (sans the Bunn issues). The hook hand and edgier personality just reminds me of someone who could be interesting trying too hard to impress. When I think about it, Mera's basically become essential to his universe as far as I'm concerned. If you remove her from his supporting cast, the franchise is poorer for it.

There is a notion that rather large threads may contribute to server load. As such, we are experimenting with closing existing threads to see if it helps matters.
    Feel free to start a new thread on the same topic.
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"
    @Matt_of_Geek
    Now writing at The Atomic Junk Shop

CBR Community Standards and Rules