Page 52 of 67 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662 ... LastLast

Ok, so having bought the anniversary edition of Akira when it was released, I finally got around to reading it. It is the best manga that I've read so far, although admittedly that is limited... Any recommendations based on my liking Akira?

Also, why does manga not have its own sub-forum?!
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    Ok, so having bought the anniversary edition of Akira when it was released, I finally got around to reading it. It is the best manga that I've read so far, although admittedly that is limited... Any recommendations based on my liking Akira?
    Depends on your taste and what manga you've read so far, but here's a few of the modern classics:
    -If you like Akira but haven't given The Ghost in the Shell a try yet, I would argue that's the most logical follow-up.
    -Death Note is very hyped maybe, but I wouldn't say it's entirely undeserved. Very good introduction into manga I would say.
    -Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind is just absolutely gorgeous, and fits in that big-ideas category Akira is in, too.
    -Saturn Apartments is a neat series if you like the art style.
    -You could consider Fullmetal Alchemist, that's a bit more Shonen though.
    -Dark Horse did really small, but cheap reprints of Astro Boy a few years ago. Very dense due to their size, but that's a classic for sure.
    -If you're better versed in the history of manga, I've heard A Drifting Life is very good. It won every award under the Sun haha, including an Eisner or two.

One of the forum admins addressed this question around six months ago, after I was approached about this topic. I've pasted their reply below:

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Just to raise a matter that was raised to the Moderators - the possibility of an anime/manga forum.

The CBR Forums have boasted such a forum before and it existed for some years (Moderated by Darkblade, who did a great job). It was never a high traffic forum and was eventually wound down. If we see enough traffic regarding the topic to warrant looking at an anime/manga forum in the future, that is something we would be prepared to do just like we always do.
    In short: traffic and posting numbers are the major factors in if a board gets established or not.
    Unfortunately I don't think that surge in traffic has been seen yet. Over the past half year, there have been 3 consistently active manga threads (this one, Fairy Tail, My Hero Academia) and a few more anime ones in the TV/Film section (e.g.: Dragon Ball Super, the general anime thread). Maybe if activity increases significantly it's worth pursuing in the future though!

Since you like Akira and seem to be interested in reading the best that manga has to offer, might I suggest Domu: A Child's Dream (also from the same creator, Katsuhiro Otomo).

Ah, that's fair enough, if not surprising.

Thanks for the suggestions both. I've read Deathnote (awesome, but could've been shortened). I've not read the rest although a few are on my list!
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Just finished 'All You Need is Kill', on Balakin's recommendation. I absolutely loved it, especially given the cost... Surprisingly, I didn't see the ending coming, although I've no idea how I missed it

Incredible Member Robotech Master's Avatar

In case anyone is curious about some stuff that Kubo couldn't fit into Bleach's rushed conclusion:

-Grimmjow has been eating Menos Grande and some Arrancar to gain extra power. Kenpachi feels like his Reiatsu is at Nnoitora's level.
    -Shinji's Bankai reverses a bunch of other stuff instead of just direction, it even inverts senses of right and wrong, ally and enemy, exotic stuff like that. Reason he does not use it is because it is an area of effect and he cannot stop it from affecting allies, meaning even his friends would end up with reversed senses of friend and foe. It can only really be used in specific 1 on 1 circumstances.
    -Harribel's Arrancar Kingdom has an alliance with the Soul Society.
    -Candice and Meninas may be zombie slaves under Mayuri
    -Tokinada, the royal who killed Tousen's friend, also likely arranged the assassination attempt against Ginjo which made Ginjo reject Soul Society.
    -Yoruichi has a Zanpakutou, but it is possible it prefers her to fight hand to hand.

Astonishing Member

Other than my usual dose of Food Wars, I haven't been reading much of anything new. But, after I found myself binge-watching Sailor Moon Crystal, I thought I'd take a deep dive into the magical girl genre for a while. Well, at least as deep a dive as the Young Adult collections at the local public libraries will allow. Honestly, I like what I'm seeing so far. Tokyo Mew Mew's fun. Magic Knight Rayearth seems like a real blast of a fantasy book. I think Shugo Chara has a rather clever concept with the whole "who I want to be" theme for the little guardian things. Haven't been able to try Cardcaptor Sakura but I hear it's good. There are some that have a weird concept like Wedding Peach that don't seem like they're going to be able to live up to their own weirdness. Honestly, I'm kind of kicking myself that I didn't try more stuff from the other side of the gender gap before this.

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    title: Osake wa Fuufu ni Natte Kara

translation: Alcohol is for married couples

Author(s): Kurisutaruna Yousuke

ALCOHOL IS FOR MARRIED COUPLES SUMMARY:
    The "slightly sweet tipsy couple comedy" manga centers on the 28-year-old senior public relations company staff member Chisato Mizusawa. The story follows Chisato's daily life as she enjoys her husband Sora's cocktails. Chisato has secrets that only her husband knows.
    Is that the one that got turned into the shorts 'Love Is Like A Cocktail' a few seasons back?
    Dark does not mean deep.

Berserk of the Gluttony is a title you might enjoy reading, even those who might cringe looking at Kirito lookalike.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Astonishing Member

Food manga like Food Wars, Toriko and Delicious in Dungeon are fairly common and popular these days. But have you considered pairing them with a nice wine manga? If so, may I suggest The Drops of God by Tadashi Agi and Shu Akimoto. I find it to be a nice, dry manga with rich tannins and an oaky finish.

Eh, just kidding with the sommelier talk.
    DropsofGod.jpg

But from the first volume it does seem to be a nice seinen manga about wine that could be seen as something like a more subdued, grown-up Food Wars. It's about the estranged son of a rich wine expert who, despite never having actually tasted wine before, must compete with a famous wine critic to identify and describe a number of "god-level" wines in order to inherit his deceased father's vast and expensive collection. To help with his lack of knowledge, he recruits the help of a young woman who's an apprentice sommelier at a high class restaurant. It's a Kodansha manga that's being published digitally by Comixology. I like the one volume I've read. I'm going to keep this one on my radar for a little while.

Astonishing Member

Is this thread dead? Did I kill it?

I hope not, because I want to give more recommendations. For example, I love this one: Kaiju Girl Caramelise.
    Attachment 90035

Kuroe Akaishi is a loner who suffers from a disease that causes her body to deform in strange ways when her emotions run high. She manages until class heartthrob Arata Minami takes an interest in her. However, when she starts to develop feelings in return, she discovers that her feelings can turn her into a 30-story kaiju. Now dubbed Harugon by the news media, Kuroe tries to navigate her high school love life without destroying a city in the process.

It's a really weird shojo romance manga, but that's what makes it so great. It's just so ridiculously different. It doesn't even run in a shojo magazine. Apparently, it runs in Comic Alive which is a seinen magazine. It's got a fun supporting cast that includes Kuroe's overprotective gyaru mother and her Kuroe's friend Manatsu who loves kaiju a little too much. Plus, just the "transforming into a kaiju=adolescence" metaphor which is worth the price of admission. Check this one out if you can.

I just started my manga adventure. I am starting to read Pokemon Adventures and Full Metal Alchemist. I am enjoying Pokemon Adventures so far. I am a huge fan of the show and games and never knew it was a comic. Havnt started Full Metal yet but everyone is saying how good it is so I am going to give it a try.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

I am kind of traumatized by the Pokemon Adventures Comics. I have seen Pokemon being killed and Zombie Pokemon. Not at all like the cartoon. I am enjoying however.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    I am kind of traumatized by the Pokemon Adventures Comics. I have seen Pokemon being killed and Zombie Pokemon. Not at all like the cartoon. I am enjoying however.
    Yeah, Adventures is brutal at times. That Arbok early on? Would never happen in the games/anime.
    All the cool cats are reading CBR's Community Standards & Rules!

BANNED

Goblin Slayer by Kumo Kagyu

It's a fantasy manga series. Main character The Goblin Slayer has no interest in this world other than killing goblins. It's a result of an attack by some goblins to his town when he was little, his whole family murdered by goblins in the attack so he kills all the goblins, he can find.

As you can see it's a pretty simple revenge story but it has a controversy around it and that's goblins not only kill humans but they kidnap human women and rape them to produce offsprings. There are some panels... This kind of reminded me Berserk and Trolls... same thing happened in Berserk at some point.

I usually don't like safe series that doesn't make me feel like an adult, and spit on the face of the conservatives by making them uneasy... So here we are, at goblin slayer. I liked it even if it is pretty much a simple revenge story, it's controversial enough to pull me in.

Goblin Slayer who is name is also Orcblog was a loner at the begining but later on a priestess who was saved by him, joined him. Others followed her. A magician dwarf, A shaman Naga and an archer elf girl. They became an inseperable party and it's fun to follow them in the dangerous goblin infested caves, and ruins.
    Last edited by Gurz; 12-28-2019 at 10:34 AM.