Page 54 of 67 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864 ... LastLast

I've been reading some of the works of Junji Ito lately, and I must say that they're absolutely superb works of horror. I highly recommend reading them if you haven't already.
    20200704_172032.jpg
    Last edited by Gav; 07-04-2020 at 02:35 PM.
    "Don't leave home without your sword - your intellect."
    —Alan Moore

Incredible Member Robotech Master's Avatar

Black Clover - Captain Yami actually calls for Asta's help, and by name no less. I believe the first time in the entire series he has actually used his name instead of referring to him by some form of "kid" nickname.

Astonishing Member

Two new series that I've started reading (legally): Spy x Family and Act-Age.

Spy x Family is a pleasant surprise. Lately when reading scanlated stuff I've found that I've gravitated to more stuff that's about family or work or adult relationships (hey, I'm getting older. It happens). This stuff usually doesn't find its way to bookstores though, because seinen and josei stuff really doesn't have a big audience in the U.S. So, how surprising was it to find something themed around family in a shonen title. Granted, it's still mostly a boys' action title with battles and espionage-fueled action. But it also, at least so far, seems to be about three loners who have no sense of normalcy forming their own family. Albeit, for their own reasons.

As for Act-Age, well, I guess technically it's a manga about work. But the work in question is acting, and the lead uses a particularly intense brand of method acting where she either completely loses herself in a scene or dredges up her own past emotions. You want her to succeed like most shonen protagonists, but there's also the angle of wondering whether her method acting will ultimately prove damaging to her psyche.

(And yes, I know both of these series are already super-popular right now, but I still wanted to talk about them a little bit).

So, Amazon has been caught stealth-banning some Japanese light novels without alerting the publishers.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotech Master View Post
    Black Clover - Captain Yami actually calls for Asta's help, and by name no less. I believe the first time in the entire series he has actually used his name instead of referring to him by some form of "kid" nickname.
    Yup, it's a nice moment since it pulls double duty in showing how much Yami's come to trust Asta's abilities AND showing that this is such a massive threat that even Yami just can't deal with it on its own. Really cool moment.

On the one hand I hope this team up goes well. But on the other I don't want Dante to be defeated just yet, depending on the execution of that it might make everybody who lost to Vanica and Zeno look bad by comparison, I also want to see all three devil hosts interact now that we've got a clearer picture of their personalities.
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    Two new series that I've started reading (legally): Spy x Family and Act-Age.

Spy x Family is a pleasant surprise. Lately when reading scanlated stuff I've found that I've gravitated to more stuff that's about family or work or adult relationships (hey, I'm getting older. It happens). This stuff usually doesn't find its way to bookstores though, because seinen and josei stuff really doesn't have a big audience in the U.S. So, how surprising was it to find something themed around family in a shonen title. Granted, it's still mostly a boys' action title with battles and espionage-fueled action. But it also, at least so far, seems to be about three loners who have no sense of normalcy forming their own family. Albeit, for their own reasons.
    Spy X Family is great, one of my top three favourite WSJ titles right now. It's a perfect blend of genuinely touching and heartwarming moments, hilarious humor and balls to the wall awesome action scene centered around a kinda oddball premise with a super charming main cast. And the art is great too. I just love everything about it.

My one complaint would be that Yor doesn't get used as much as Loid or Anya, and I just kinda want to see more of her misadventures as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    So, Amazon has been caught stealth-banning some Japanese light novels without alerting the publishers.
    Huh, that's seems kinda douchey and unprofessional. I assume that they haven't been giving any reasons towards why they're doing it?

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post

Huh, that's seems kinda douchey and unprofessional. I assume that they haven't been giving any reasons towards why they're doing it?
    J-Novel Club and Yen Press haven't gotten a response from them yet.

UPDATE: It looks as though that due to the COVID-19, Amazon has been more heavily relying upon automated systems to determine "problematic" content, and delisting appears to only affect Kindle editions, not the physical books.

So, in other words, Amazon is repeating the same mistake that Youtube has with their algorithm bots.
    Last edited by Len Ikari145; 07-15-2020 at 03:14 PM.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    J-Novel Club and Yen Press haven't gotten a response from them yet.

UPDATE: It looks as though that due to the COVID-19, Amazon has been more heavily relying upon automated systems to determine "problematic" content, and delisting appears to only affect Kindle editions, not the physical books.

So, in other words, Amazon is repeating the same mistake that Youtube has with their algorithm bots.
    Oh big internet companies and their inadequate responses to anything. It's sad that you're so important to all of us.

Extraordinary Member

Black Clover: You know, I really like the relationship Asta has with his devil so far. They're just kinda cordial with each other.

First time they met:

Devil: Take my power and use it to crush your foe.

Asta: Nah, I'm good.

Devil: ...rea...really? You don't want this great dark power I can bestow onto you?

Asta: Nope. Thanks for the offer though.

This time:

spoilers:
    Asta: Can I have some of that power you offered me before. I really need it to save my captain and friends.

Devil: Yeah sure, but it's going to cost you a part of your body.

Asta: Ok, sounds pretty fair. I'll deal with it as comes.

Devil: Very well. Here you go buddy.
    end of spoilers

And it'll be interesting to see what the exact consequences will be from Asta making this deal.

And it'll be interesting to see what the exact consequences will be from Asta making this deal.
    He gets Noelle and Mimosa after Asta finally realizes they like him.

Extraordinary Member

He gets Noelle and Mimosa after Asta finally realizes they like him.
    I very much doubt that even a true devil's powers could open up Asta's mind to seeing any member of the opposite sex who isn't sister Lily as a viable romantic partner.

The layers of shounen chastity within are just too thick.

Huh, I had vaguely been aware that Bleach had a gacha game for a while now. What didn't click until yesterday however, is that there is now a giant world of fan service anime art for Bleach characters now.

Extraordinary Member

Huh, I had vaguely been aware that Bleach had a gacha game for a while now. What didn't click until yesterday however, is that there is now a giant world of fan service anime art for Bleach characters now.
    Yeah.

Brave Souls has a lot of... impressive art for Bleach characters. Whether it's the first anime look at the characters in their final arc designs, new power ups with "official" designs from Kubo or just wacky but appealing holiday designs. The game has it all.

Harribel Hogykou Resurreccion.jpg

That's Harribel after getting a power up form the hogykou. Yeah.

3 Routes complete in Bokuben, and they were all the most traditional of the possible endings. Up next is MC ending up with either the college student or the teacher, both of which have some interesting possibilities.

3 Routes complete in Bokuben, and they were all the most traditional of the possible endings. Up next is MC ending up with either the college student or the teacher, both of which have some interesting possibilities.
    The college student/senpai route is the one I am most interested in - she is the latecomer girl and that is the single unluckiest romantic interest in anime or manga - I can't think of a single time I have ever seen them come out on top in a series. Even the childhood friend occasionally wins out - although for some disgusting reason less often then the actual sister. I typically dislike the loli type but she comes across as the most emotionally mature girl on the show, and she was the first one where I was able to see what she did for the protagonist (and vice-versa) as opposed to merely what he was able to do for her.

I'm less interested in the teacher - I only like those types of romances under special circumstances, typically involving the younger one being the one pursuing a relationship and even then requiring some mitigating circumstances for me to buy into it.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Yabuki Kentaro, artist of To-Love-Ru, did a Shounen Jump art spread of a bunch of Shounen Jump heroines in his art style, including Nami, Uruka, Noelle, and Mafuyu Kirisu.

It should come as no surprise that that is the hottest I have ever seen of Nami.