Page 10 of 67 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

Watched the first episode of Hellsing Ultimate on Toonami last night. It seems to be a straight reboot with the same ultra-violence and gore just done in a slightly different style.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Spectacular Member Carmen_Rider's Avatar

Yes, that's exactly what Hellsing Ultimate is. A retelling.

I also notice that in some shows, alternate universes are getting to be a part of the story. Like in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and the Kamen Rider franchise.

The new anime shows on FUNimation Channel this month are Blood-C, Blue Gender and Chaos;Head none of which I've head of before. Anyone familiar with any of them?
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Art School Dropout View Post
    The new anime shows on FUNimation Channel this month are Blood-C, Blue Gender and Chaos;Head none of which I've head of before. Anyone familiar with any of them?

Have you heard of Blood: The Last Vampire or Blood+? Blood-C takes that general theme and sets it in an alternate universe to tell a different story. I haven't watched it myself so I can't comment further. I would personally skip watching it. Link to a general plot summary.

Blue Gender on the other hand was a great watch back in the day. It aired on Adult Swim a little over 10 years ago. I was a teenager at the time and it's been awhile since I watched it so it may not hold up as well as I remember. I'd absolutely give the show a try if you haven't seen it yet. It's only 26 episodes so it's not a huge time investment. Link to a general plot summary. There was a movie under the same title with an alternate ending that I've never watched myself. Not sure if it's worth watching nowadays.
    Last edited by danmar85; 09-16-2014 at 12:48 PM.

I'd say, don't bother with Chaos;Head. It's not really a good adaptation.
    Hazard's Playhouse - Episodic anime reviews and other things. Current Post: Houshin Engi: What was Skipped
    My Fanfiction.Net Profile

So, Baki Dou 26.
    spoilers:

Does anybody else get the feeling that Baki jobbed horribly there?
    end of spoilers
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Art School Dropout View Post
    While I loved Blood+ I completely hated Blood-C and could barely get through the first couple of episodes... Ugly art, unlikeable lead (especially after Saya from Blood+) and pointless critters.

Blue Gender I enjoyed, kinda old now and I think only in 4x3 viewing, it has grounded mecha, decimated earth, people out of their element, conspiracy etc

Just watched the first episode of The Devil Is a Part-Timer! on FUNimation Channel and thought it was pretty fun. It starts out with this epic battle where Satan's forces are being defeated. When the Devil's Castle is over run he escapes to our dimension and takes human form. It turns into a fish-out-of-water comedy where Satan and his minion Alciel have to learn the language and gets jobs to survive until they can restore their magic powers.

Quote Originally Posted by danmar85 View Post
    Have you heard of Blood: The Last Vampire or Blood+? Blood-C takes that general theme and sets it in an alternate universe to tell a different story. I haven't watched it myself so I can't comment further. I would personally skip watching it. Link to a general plot summary.
    I really enjoyed Blood: The Last Vampire when I watched it years ago. Haven't watched Blood+ though.

Blue Gender on the other hand was a great watch back in the day. It aired on Adult Swim a little over 10 years ago. I was a teenager at the time and it's been awhile since I watched it so it may not hold up as well as I remember. I'd absolutely give the show a try if you haven't seen it yet. It's only 26 episodes so it's not a huge time investment. Link to a general plot summary. There was a movie under the same title with an alternate ending that I've never watched myself. Not sure if it's worth watching nowadays.
    Quote Originally Posted by Choos View Post
    Blue Gender I enjoyed, kinda old now and I think only in 4x3 viewing, it has grounded mecha, decimated earth, people out of their element, conspiracy etc
    I enjoyed the first two episodes. They do a great job of mixing horror and science fiction elements. Seems like the series is basically mechs versus kaiju monsters.

Quote Originally Posted by Choos View Post
    While I loved Blood+ I completely hated Blood-C and could barely get through the first couple of episodes... Ugly art, unlikeable lead (especially after Saya from Blood+) and pointless critters.
    Yeah the main character in Blood-C is drastically different than in Blood: The Last Vampire. The fight scenes are decent though.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    I'd say, don't bother with Chaos;Head. It's not really a good adaptation.
    Hvnt read d manga but we/SZ luvd chaos head.

Any1 here watcher NO GAME, NO LYF?

Dats d smartest dude we/SZ hv seen since Lyto(Deathnote) & Leiluchi(Code Geass).

BANNED

everyone should take a look at MPD PSYCHO , that is a series that will stay in your head (and eyes) I promise

Recommendations please!

Ive never sampled much anime or manga but am interested in getting in to it.
    From what ive watched so far the standouts to me were;

Ghost in the Shell/SAC (loved SAC!)
    Akira
    Cowboy Bebop (dat soundtrack)
    Evangellion
    Ergo Proxy
    Afro Samurai
    Black Lagoon

It seems i mostly i have a thing for Cyberpunk/sci-fi though im open to other stuff.

Im eying Hellsing and Steins Gate. Any opinions on those?
    And im just after general recs based on what ive liked so far.

In addition Ive never read any manga and am pretty much unaware of whats out there so if theres anything that would seem to be in my wheelhouse please shout it out.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post

In addition Ive never read any manga and am pretty much unaware of whats out there so if theres anything that would seem to be in my wheelhouse please shout it out.

Thanks!
    Both are good choices.

That said, which Hellsing? There is the original TV show and there is Hellsing Ultimate which is a more direct adaptation of the manga.

Ultimate also has more violence blood and bullets. Personally, I like it, because it makes it clear that while Alucard is the protagonist, he is very much a monster.
    Hazard's Playhouse - Episodic anime reviews and other things. Current Post: Houshin Engi: What was Skipped

I watched the first episode of Steins Gate and thought it was interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    Recommendations please!

Ive never sampled much anime or manga but am interested in getting in to it.
    From what ive watched so far the standouts to me were;

Ghost in the Shell/SAC (loved SAC!)
    Akira
    Cowboy Bebop (dat soundtrack)
    Evangellion
    Ergo Proxy
    Afro Samurai
    Black Lagoon

It seems i mostly i have a thing for Cyberpunk/sci-fi though im open to other stuff.

Thanks!
    Anime
    - Samurai Champloo - Made by the creators of Cowboy Bebop. Has a similar feel to Afro Samurai.

- FLCL/ Fooly Cooly - Disjointed story that barely makes sense, but it's trippy in a good way and has a great soundtrack.

- Satoshi Kon - Do yourself a favor. If you haven't seen any of Satoshi Kon's work do it now! He directed a handful of movies before his unfortunate death a few years back. Examples are Millennium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers, Paprika, Perfect Blue and a tv series named Paranoia Agent.

- Fullmetal Alchemist/Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - Both are held in high regard. Fullmetal Alchemist came first and draws directly from the manga at the beginning, but veers off when it slowly caught up to the content and finished off with it's own storyline. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood came a few years later and follows the contents of the manga properly. The endings are very different, but both are good in their own way.

- Ghost In The Shell: Arise - An OVA series inspired by the manga itself. Haven't seen it, but I'm eager to when I get the chance.

Manga

- Ghost In The Shell - The original series that started it all. Not sure which publisher has rights to it now, but I have the Dark Horse versions.

- Berserk - I've never collected the series and haven't read much of it, but it's been around for 10+ years. Wish I could go into further description, but I couldn't go into any real detail.

- Uchuu Kyoudai - One of my personal favorites. I love this series a lot. It's about two young brothers goal two become astronauts.
    Last edited by danmar85; 09-23-2014 at 09:30 PM.

- Berserk - I've never collected the series and haven't read much of it, but it's been around for 10+ years. Wish I could go into further description, but I couldn't go into any real detail.
    Allow me to do it then.

A dark fantasy manga.

Actually, THE dark fantasy manga.

Berserk tells the story of Guts, the Black Swordsman. In the first three arcs, we are introduced to Guts as this no-nonsense, badass guy with a dark past who travels around killing monsters.

The manga then flashbacks to the Golden Age arc and begins to tell exactly how Guts became Guts. Turns out there is a lot more to him killing monsters than you'd think.

It's pretty damn good.

It's also incredibly dark at some points; so be prepared if you decide to go into it.