Page 11 of 67 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    Allow me to do it then.

A dark fantasy manga.

Actually, THE dark fantasy manga.

Berserk tells the story of Guts, the Black Swordsman. In the first three arcs, we are introduced to Guts as this no-nonsense, badass guy with a dark past who travels around killing monsters.

The manga then flashbacks to the Golden Age arc and begins to tell exactly how Guts became Guts. Turns out there is a lot more to him killing monsters than you'd think.

It's pretty damn good.

It's also incredibly dark at some points; so be prepared if you decide to go into it.
    Nice job.

That reminds me. There's also an animated tv series that came out a few years back. It pretty much covers up to the end of the Golden Age Arc and stops there. What a great series and that ending was chilling. Beautiful soundtrack as well with great voice acting from the Japanese cast. Recently they came out with a few animated movies that re-tells that same arc done with modern anime practices and plenty of CG, which I didn't like based on previews. I've never seen these movies so I can't comment on the quality. I believe both change a few minor things from the manga to streamline it a bit.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    Recommendations please!

Ive never sampled much anime or manga but am interested in getting in to it.
    From what ive watched so far the standouts to me were;

Ghost in the Shell/SAC (loved SAC!)
    Akira
    Cowboy Bebop (dat soundtrack)
    Evangellion
    Ergo Proxy
    Afro Samurai
    Black Lagoon

It seems i mostly i have a thing for Cyberpunk/sci-fi though im open to other stuff.

Im eying Hellsing and Steins Gate. Any opinions on those?
    And im just after general recs based on what ive liked so far.

In addition Ive never read any manga and am pretty much unaware of whats out there so if theres anything that would seem to be in my wheelhouse please shout it out.

Thanks!
    Start with Steins Gate....& if u want a shw with very smart & tactical lead xcters get No Game- no lyf, Deathnote & Code Geass.

Spectacular Member Carmen_Rider's Avatar

Animax recently started showing Space Dandy. Looks like a fun series.

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carmen_Rider View Post
    Animax recently started showing Space Dandy. Looks like a fun series.
    It really is.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Extraordinary Member

Mysterious Girlfriend X just ended rather abruptly.

Whether it was by cancellation or the mangaka wanting to end it and try new things I can understand.

It's not been as good as it used to be and wasn't really going anywhere. But it was overall still fun and its interesting take on relationships was largely enjoyable all the way through. So it's probably better that it ended on an ok note rather than over staying its welcome.

I'm going to miss this little oddball of a romance series. If you don't mind spit being exchange via fingers rather than mouth to mouth and want something with a bit more of a soothing pace, then i recommend that you check out Mysterious Girlfriend X.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    Mysterious Girlfriend X just ended rather abruptly.

Whether it was by cancellation or the mangaka wanting to end it and try new things I can understand.

It's not been as good as it used to be and wasn't really going anywhere. But it was overall still fun and its interesting take on relationships was largely enjoyable all the way through. So it's probably better that it ended on an ok note rather than over staying its welcome.

I'm going to miss this little oddball of a romance series. If you don't mind spit being exchange via fingers rather than mouth to mouth and want something with a bit more of a soothing pace, then i recommend that you check out Mysterious Girlfriend X.
    That's too bad. I read the first few chapters and loved it, but lost track of it. I was surprised it was still ongoing when I checked a few ago. The mangaka should have probably ended it awhile back.

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

Watched the first episode of Appleseed XIII on FUNimation Channel On Demand. I'm not a fan of the animation style but some of the action sequences were pretty good. Has anyone watched this series and is it worth following?
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Incredible Member Robotech Master's Avatar

Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works TV series Episode 0 Prologue.

Holy **** that was awesome. Been a long time since I watched the first tv series adaptation of Fate/Stay Night, but if they keep this up, this will blow previous works out of the water. Such lively, great animation from UFO table, and Rin was HNNGGGG.

I wish she remained the main POV character honestly.

Extraordinary Member

Nanatsu no Taizai anime episode 1:

They did a really good job with the adaptation here.

The voices a good, the music is great and the animation kicks ass. Which is pretty much all I really want from an anime adaptation of a manga I really like.

I hope that they're going the same route as Magi, making one season that covers a few arcs then they take a break and pick up later with a new season.

I recommend it to everyone who enjoys fun action shows.

Astonishing Member

Nanatsu no Taizai anime episode 1:

They did a really good job with the adaptation here.

The voices a good, the music is great and the animation kicks ass. Which is pretty much all I really want from an anime adaptation of a manga I really like.

I hope that they're going the same route as Magi, making one season that covers a few arcs then they take a break and pick up later with a new season.

I recommend it to everyone who enjoys fun action shows.
    Good to hear. I'm glad more people are going to get exposed to this property. Big NnT fan!

I hear this adaptation is 24 eps. My guess is they stop at the Capital of the Dead arc, as that's the best end-point I can think of in the early part of the story.

So Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis had a seriously strong start.

Middle Age Setting.

Fantasy.

Demons.

Dashing Rogue Protagonist with Afro.

Big Dragon.

Awesome.
    Hazard's Playhouse - Episodic anime reviews and other things. Current Post: Houshin Engi: What was Skipped
    My Fanfiction.Net Profile

Astonishing Member

Really enjoyed Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis. Top-notch animation. Decent voice cast and music. It really surprised how strong it was. Definitely going to be a must watch.

This season looks like it's shaping up quite nicely so far.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ceebiro View Post
    Good to hear. I'm glad more people are going to get exposed to this property. Big NnT fan!

I hear this adaptation is 24 eps. My guess is they stop at the Capital of the Dead arc, as that's the best end-point I can think of in the early part of the story.
    I'm thinking that it'll go to the Byzel Festical Fight arc. That just feels like a more appropriate season finisher. We'll see how they go about with things.
    Last edited by Dark Soul # 7; 10-07-2014 at 02:55 PM.

Astonishing Member

I'm thinking that it'll go to the Byzel Festical Fight arc. That just feels like a more appropriate season finisher. We'll see how they go about with things.
    Hmmm. Good point. That arc does have a lot of huge moments.

Extraordinary Member

Distance of that throw: 7.3 miles.

They do not **** around in this series.

EDIT: Damnit. It got taken down.

Just watch Nanatsu no Taizai episode 2. It is awesome.
    Last edited by Dark Soul # 7; 10-15-2014 at 08:41 AM.