Page 61 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1151575859606162636465 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

So, one of my favorite "hard to explain" manga has gotten an official release in the U.S.
    Attachment 103286
    How to explain this so I can make the recommendation . . .

The manga I Guess I Became the Mother of the Great Demon King's 10 Children in Another World Is about more or less what it says on the tin. A 16-year old girl named Akari loses her mother in a traffic accident leaving her without any family. A year after the accident she finds a copy of a fantasy game her mother bought her. While holding the game, she wishes that she had a family again and that she could be as good a mother as her own mom someday. With that, she's summoned into the world of the game by the demon king Lord Gran. There, Akari is informed that she has been summoned to that world to bear the demon king's children. The reason being that they are at war with the human kingdom and a demon in the demon king's bloodline can take down 10,000 humans. After initially rejecting the idea she finds out that the demons' situation and their reasoning is a bit more complex than she thought and actually agrees. Thus, she starts down the road to motherhood. It's only a little later that she finds out that according to military projections, they're going to need her to have 10 kids.

So . . . yeah. It's about a 16 year old who keeps having babies. Sounds less like a premise and more like a major social issue. And before someone floats this idea, teen parenthood is not one of those things that's okay in Japan. They may even take a more dim view of it than Westerners do. So, how do they make a manga with a "red flag" premise work? They play up the video-gameyness of it all. When Akari does get pregnant (she's had four children so far in the scanlations) it's never because of actual sex but because of some kind of magical plot device. And then it only lasts a minute before she somehow births an egg that looks like it's far too big to have ever been inside of her. The end result feels like some odd combination of reality and any video game where children can be produced (think The Sims, Stardew Valley, Harvest Moon, etc). That underlying absurdity keeps the reality of what that premise means a bit further away. There's also more details about the world that come up and questions about whether Akari and Gran's children will end the world or save it. It's maybe not an A+ manga but it's got a certain charm and warmth along with the aforementioned video game silliness. Plus, the demon babies are cute.

Seems like Ita Paru(Beastar's mangaka) is making a new serialized manga

december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Mighty Member

The first episode of Karou's Precious thing is now out on youtube a spinoff of the Freak island horror manga series.

Fantastic Member

Just read 'Dissolving Classroom' by Junji Ito.

I thought it was a pretty cool, creepy horror manga. But one issue I find in this work... also with Tomie (another Junji Ito work)... the motivations of the characters are left a mystery... In Tomie, it's Tomie's own motivations... I've really wanted to know what Tomie is trying to accomplish and why... I really got no insight into this during the series. Same here... there's a character Yuma who does something over and over again... but his exact motives are unclear. And this lack of clarification all the way to the end of the series really frustrated me.

Incredible Member Reverse Happy's Avatar

I spent Christmas reading Ice Revolution, a sports romance about a karate tomboy who picks up figure skating. It was super cute, and kinda scratched my Act-age itch. I'd heard it was good years ago, but didn't check it out until now.

It only lasted about a year before cancellation (grrr), but wrapped up the story gracefully. Would probably make a great one-cour anime at ~1 chapter per episode. A man can dream T_T. One more thing to fund if I ever become a multimillionaire...

Mighty Member

https://fanbeats.jp/projects/116

For Fans of Masaya Hokazono's works there is a crossover manga called Evil Avegers, which is bascially features every character from Masaya Hokazono's works including Pumpkin Night and Freak Island.

If you Donate you can earn replacement covers of Pumpkin Night,Freak Island,and Offal Island as well as some freak island drafts. Even get masks of Naoko and Mari.

A question to all -

I'm seriously considering getting the Crunchyroll Streaming Service. My question to you all about the service is it worth it? Keep in mind I'm an odd duck as I prefer dubbed to subbed Anime (I don't like reading constantly during my shows).
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    A question to all -

I'm seriously considering getting the Crunchyroll Streaming Service. My question to you all about the service is it worth it? Keep in mind I'm an odd duck as I prefer dubbed to subbed Anime (I don't like reading constantly during my shows).
    You can still watch the shows without paying for streaming. The difference is you get ads, plus you see the newest episodes 1 week later. That's how I use it.

So I recommend trying it out without paying for a while. Then you can decide if it's worth it to pay for Premium service... so if you pay, the ads go away... I don't know if there are any other benefits.

Have you used Crunchyroll as a free member? If so what do you think?
    Last edited by evolutionaryFan; 01-04-2021 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by evolutionaryFan View Post
    You can still watch the shows without paying for streaming. The difference is you get ads, plus you see the newest episodes 1 week later. That's how I use it.

So I recommend trying it out without paying for a while. Then you can decide if it's worth it to pay for Premium service... so if you pay, the ads go away... I don't know if there are any other benefits.

Have you used Crunchyroll as a free member? If so what do you think?
    I haven't tried it yet. I guess what I'm asking is the service more focused on dubbed or subbed material? I prefer (mostly) dubbed because I don't like reading subtitles constantly.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I haven't tried it yet. I guess what I'm asking is the service more focused on dubbed or subbed material? I prefer (mostly) dubbed because I don't like reading subtitles constantly.

Go ahead and try it. You don't even need an account. You can see what they have.

They do have dubs on most of the shows I think. But I think the focus is mainly on subs. They simulcast a lot of shows... ie: they show them on the site same time as they air in japan. So these shows couldn't have dubs yet I assume.

Quote Originally Posted by evolutionaryFan View Post
    Go ahead and try it. You don't even need an account. You can see what they have.

They do have dubs on most of the shows I think. But I think the focus is mainly on subs. They simulcast a lot of shows... ie: they show them on the site same time as they air in japan. So these shows couldn't have dubs yet I assume.
    Thanks for the information.

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Mighty Member

This have gotten quiet like chainsaw man volume 11 cover is revealed.

Mighty Member

Kichikujima volume 16.jpg

Freak Island Volume 16 cover revealed Alice from the prequel Offal Island is apart of the main story.

Arrow

My Youtube friend who usually sticks to Wrestling has decided to branch out to cover current Manga/Anime. He starts by giving his thoughts on the Dragon Ball Super Manga and the Dragon Ball Heroes Anime -