Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Default Has Convergence Killed anyone else's interest in the DCU?

My relationship with DC is spotty. I began in my childhood mostly with Green Lantern/Green Arrow and then the Death of Superman. With the New 52 reboot I decided to pick up all the heavy hitters: Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, Justice League, The Flash, and Aquaman.

It was pretty good for a time, but DC kept throwing these gimmicks out there. Zero issue? OK, fine, it actually made some sense and provided context to the current continuity. Point-issues with villains as the spotlight? Weird and worthless with many of the tie-ins not really having any impact on continuity. Then New 52 Futures End sending a signal that it was a big event you should follow......but then it wasn't and then all the Future's End tie-ins were mostly worthless. Now we get this Convergence business and by then I just threw up my hands. Enough is enough. Stop stalling the momentum of your monthly titles! Stop lying to me and trying to get me to buy extra issues that don't tie-in to the major narratives I am already following.

A couple issues into Convergence and it is another bait-and-switch. New 52 Earth 2 focus, a series I neither cared for nor followed. Issue zero had New 52 Superman and then now not a major character in sight. A whole bunch of worthless tie-ins accompany it. I am done with DC. DONE.
    Pull List
    Avengers, Captain America, Daredevil, Fantastic Four, Hulk, Iron Man, Spider-Man, Thor, Wolverine, Uncanny X-Men
    Justice League, Action Comics, Superman, Detective Comics, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, Aquaman, Cyborg

Extraordinary Member

Not me. I just set up my post-Convergence pull list and am really excited about the DC books I have on there. Also, I'm liking Convergence as well and really do not know how there was a bait-and-switch since it was known before the start that it would have the Earth 2 characters as the focus. Whether you like them or not, it was going to focus on some characters that some comparable number of people were not going to care for anyway, so why not them?

BANNED

On the contrary,It Gave People who Missed Their Favorite characters back(Even if it's only two month's)

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

CONVERGENCE lasts only two months. Love it or hate it, it's going to pass quickly.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

I have issues 1-40 (or will once Batman and Justice League come out) of all the major 9 titles (Action Comics, Superman, Detective Comics, Batman, Justice League, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, The Flash, Aquaman)

Once I hit my last straw I went through each of those series and asked myself what I really had got out of them over the almost 4 years of collecting them.

Action Comics - Pretty good, except for the Andy Diggle aborted run
    Superman - Mostly terrible except for the Geoff Johns small run.
    Detective Comics - Great art, terrible story.
    Batman - Pretty good, extremely slow pacing.
    Justice League - Very good.
    Wonder Woman - I hated the Azz run and the new one is pretty weak.
    Green Lantern - Great when Geoff was writing it. Started terrible with Venditti, got better with time.
    The Flash - Began with great art and weak writing, now had bad art AND bad writing, not improving.
    Aquaman - Good with Geoff Johns. I love Paul Pelletier and Jeff Parker was OK.

What am I going to miss out on? Pak and Kuder on Action Comics, Snyder/Capullo on Batman and Geoff Johns Justice League. After 40 times 9 or at least 360 issues, there was very little that excited me about my collection. I thought about other comics I was getting during this time period from other publishers and thought - huh I really wouldn't miss that much. Most of the great stories I remember were not from DC.

I really hope they learn to get their act together with this move to California. They need to improve their game quite a bit more and stop all this September gimmickry.

Edit: Actually my favorite elements of the whole New 52 would have to be the Shazam back-up from Justice League that never went anywhere (A huge wasted opportunity) and the Forever Evil mini. They were all just Justice League stories, but I cannot really justify getting a single comic from a shared-universe. Just not how I roll.
    Last edited by randomengine; 04-23-2015 at 12:18 PM.
    Pull List
    Avengers, Captain America, Daredevil, Fantastic Four, Hulk, Iron Man, Spider-Man, Thor, Wolverine, Uncanny X-Men
    Justice League, Action Comics, Superman, Detective Comics, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, Aquaman, Cyborg

Extraordinary Member

Yeah, I can get what you are saying, but then I check your signature and wonder how you put up with the gimmicks from one company but not another. It would seem more in line if you were now giving all your money to Image. Do you really enjoy having your Marvel books relaunched every year, rotate artists, and have stories derailed by the monthly event that will change everything?

I give them a pass on Convergence since it is done while they are moving to CA and the lead writer is someone who has never written comics before. They have some really interesting titles coming after convergence and it does not look like they will have any more crossovers that stall a books storyline and will be conducted in a similar fashion to the Endgame crossovers.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Not at all. Personally, I've been enjoying Convergence and a handful of the tie-ins, although I do agree with the OP in that I've found most of the tie-ins to be a waste of time and money. After Convergence I'm looking forward to a lot of the new titles DC is coming out with and to quite a few of the ones that are returning. My DC pull list has never been better actually.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Yeah, I can get what you are saying, but then I check your signature and wonder how you put up with the gimmicks from one company but not another. It would seem more in line if you were now giving all your money to Image. Do you really enjoy having your Marvel books relaunched every year, rotate artists, and have stories derailed by the monthly event that will change everything?
    I didn't come here to talk about Marvel. I am not going to derail this thread into some turf war. Yes, I am enjoying Marvel a lot these days and their events are not DC's events. There are valid and logical reasons why one is more appealing than the other without going into specifics on a DC board. Suffice it to say that I love events, as long as the narrative flows from A to B without interruption. Convergence and the September Gimmickry as I call it violate the continuity flow rule.
    Pull List

BANNED

I have issues 1-40 (or will once Batman and Justice League come out) of all the major 9 titles (Action Comics, Superman, Detective Comics, Batman, Justice League, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, The Flash, Aquaman)

Once I hit my last straw I went through each of those series and asked myself what I really had got out of them over the almost 4 years of collecting them.

What am I going to miss out on? Pak and Kuder on Action Comics, Snyder/Capullo on Batman and Geoff Johns Justice League. After 40 times 9 or at least 360 issues, there was very little that excited me about my collection. I thought about other comics I was getting during this time period from other publishers and thought - huh I really wouldn't miss that much. Most of the great stories I remember were not from DC.

I really hope they learn to get their act together with this move to California. They need to improve their game quite a bit more and stop all this September gimmickry.

Here is a list of titles I whould recommend for you that I Liked from the new-52:
    1.Redhood and the outlaws
    2.GL new guardians
    3.Superman/wonder woman
    4.Grayson
    5.Batman and Robin
    6.Gotham Academy
    7.Sinestro
    8.Swamp thing/Animal man
    9.Red Lanterns
    10.Batgirl

Post convergence, half of the dc titles continues to rely on sales gimmicks (somebody else under the batman costume, superman loses his powers, hal jordan is a renegade, wonder woman has a new costume, aquaman and mera break up, flash comic is taking advantage of the popularity of the tv professor zoom, etc.). The other half seems more innovative.

Mighty Member

Nope. There are a slew of titles I'm picking up post Convergence. So many good creative teams out there.

Incredible Member CrazyOldHermit's Avatar

Due to Marvel's ridiculous pricing DC is the only place for me among the Big Two but they aren't appealing to me at all. It's not so much Convergence (which only keeps out me out the shop for two months) as much as it is the uninteresting and lackluster followup plans. The two DC books I buy and read, Batman and Aquaman, will continue to be bought and read by me. But they've offered absolutely nothing else to me.
    Miller was right.

Quote Originally Posted by LP22 View Post
    Here is a list of titles I whould recommend for you that I Liked from the new-52:
    1.Redhood and the outlaws
    2.GL new guardians
    3.Superman/wonder woman
    4.Grayson
    5.Batman and Robin
    6.Gotham Academy
    7.Sinestro
    8.Swamp thing/Animal man
    9.Red Lanterns
    10.Batgirl
    I did read some New Guardians and enjoyed it a lot more than what Venditti was doing with Green Lantern. I dug the New Guardians themselves and everything, but I wanted to follow the main Green Lantern story, which did turn out to get better with time. I checked in with New Guardians at issue 40 and it was OK. It felt like it lost some of the magic from when it first started.

Superman/Wonder Woman was alright. It was fun, but lacked a cohesive narrative and seemed to just tell capsulized stories. Much like my problem with Batman/Superman.

Sinestro impressed me with both art and the writing. I thought about picking it up with the new Green Lantern post-Convergence, but it wasn't compelling enough on its own to keep getting DC.

I missed Swamp Thing. I regret it.

Red Lanterns I will disagree with you on. It had Milligan on writing in the beginning and is one of my least favorite writers of.....all time, along with Brian Azz. I checked in at issue 40 and saw Jim Calafiore who has to be one of my least favorite artists.....of all time. It looks like fanfic art. *shudders*

I never tried any of the rest, but anything with Scott Lobdell these days I want to avoid. He is just not as good as he used to be.
    Pull List

BANNED

Red Lanterns I will disagree with you on. It had Milligan on writing in the beginning and is one of my least favorite writers of.....all time, along with Brian Azz. I checked in at issue 40 and saw Jim Calafiore who has to be one of my least favorite artists.....of all time. It looks like fanfic art. *shudders*
    Pick up the Charles Soule trades(trust me you wouldn't Regret It).