Red face Black Hood / The Shield : FCBD

darkcircle.jpg

Looking ahead at FCBD , Archie comics is putting out 3 new titles under the brand " Dark Circle Comics" . I think they look cool. But it's just such bad timing because Being a total Marvel Monger with Secret Wars coming up. I don't know if I can pinch the pocket any harder then the event will push me. But Has anyone looked at this imprint of comics? The fact its Archie people doing this catches my eye. I mean its the comic that keeps coming and never changes , its still set in atomic era 1950's, yet here we have a joint project with a seemly gritty Punisher type in Black Hood , Female Patriot / Black Widow type in " The Shield" And The Fox

See previews here http://darkcirclecomics.com/

Kind of Brings me to mind what Dark Horse is doing currently by bringing Back BarbWire , X is already back , other Steel Harbor people are returning.

But is Dark Circle really a indie operation? Black Hood is being written by Duane Swiercyznski ( X , Bloodshot , Godzilla ) The Fox is being written Mark Waid ( Daredevil ) . These writers arn't exactly home brewed.

But all these things , Non- Indie writers , Archie , Short on Change isn't really key factors why they shouldn't at least be tried right? I mean after all by September Secret Wars will be over then what? Who knows if things will be worth reading when all the rosters are shaken and Baked to new looks and storylines. Samething with once Convergence and Divergence ends.

Only way I see myself buying these books is taking the testing the watering approach. Go in their first issues , with the chopping block ready , if it doesn't mesh , See ya , but if its good its good, and I'll keep reading. Its a bit harsh , but I did the same for Saga , I read the first issue , and said it wasn't for me and most people think " well thats not fair , it gets better after that" . Sorry, TV shows got it event worse, Channels base shows on the first 15 minutes of a pilots nieson ratings. A full issue of one of these 3 books , the fish hook is in. I already want to be reeled in. Its just a matter of judging if their keepers or getting thrown back in the stream.

Black Hood is the one that has me most intrigued, it look gritty as @#* . looks like 1970's Death Wish , or early Punisher books. Anyone have their own thoughts on the possibilities here , anyone think this line has potential for something deeper? or Just general comic knowledge on buying outside the realms of the big two?

Black Hood is one of the best superhero books on the stands. Three issues in, and its delivered one of the most different vigilante tales I've seen before. People that aren't reading it are missing out.

The Fox is good too, but where the Black Hood is VERY noirish, the Fox is more along the lines of Waid's Daredevil work. Both are worth checking out.
    Last edited by Ishmael; 04-23-2015 at 06:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AstroWolfboy View Post
    Short on Change isn't really key factors why they shouldn't at least be tried right?

Anyone have their own thoughts on the possibilities here , anyone think this line has potential for something deeper? or Just general comic knowledge on buying outside the realms of the big two?
    Well you pretty much nailed it on the head. Just try it and see if you like it. I really liked Black Hood #1, but I haven't read anything else yet.
    I don't have much faith in Archie, but I'm a sucker for small superhero shared-universes, and seeing as Project Black Sky is pretty much done for, I'm gonna check Dark Circle out for at least the first arcs of Black Hood, The Fox, and The Shield.
    Last edited by TheFerg714; 04-23-2015 at 11:19 PM.
    Valiant- X-O Manowar / Bloodshot Salvation / Ninja-K / Quantum and Woody! / Shadowman / Harbinger Wars II / Brittania
    DC- Justice League / Hal Jordan and the GLC / The Flash / Aquaman / Mera / Mister Miracle / Silencer / The Terrifics
    Other- The Walking Dead / Mighty Morphin Power Rangers / Go Go Power Rangers

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

I can't wait for The Shield! I am excited to see her preview in the FCBD issue on the 2nd! And to see if we get any more information for the Hangman.

The Black Hood has been great, you are missing out if you are not reading that haha. And I loved the Fox! It's a crazy fun adventure and I can't wait for issue two. It is for sure the lighter of the books. But Archie is giving it a great shot, and it's working for them! They are doing some amazing stuff, and I am looking forward to it all!
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

Quote Originally Posted by TheFerg714 View Post
    I'm a sucker for small superhero shared-universes, and seeing as Project Black Sky is pretty much done for
    I agree with you about a small superhero universes, they are really an awesome place to get some hero stuff outside the big two! But I disagree with Project Black Sky being done, they still have a lot left in them. And I am sure more stuff other the Barb Wire and King Tiger will show up haha.

Edit: Dang, did not mean to make this two posts, sorry, hit submit by mistake.
    Pulls:

Quote Originally Posted by Power Torch View Post
    I agree with you about a small superhero universes, they are really an awesome place to get some hero stuff outside the big two! But I disagree with Project Black Sky being done, they still have a lot left in them. And I am sure more stuff other the Barb Wire and King Tiger will show up haha.

Edit: Dang, did not mean to make this two posts, sorry, hit submit by mistake.
    When the 3 cornerstones of PBS get canceled, and "replaced" with two d-listers, I can say with some certainty that PBS is pretty much done for. If it comes back that's cool, and I'll probably check it out, but I don't care about Barb Wire or King Tiger. I can see Barb Wire selling a healthy amount, but I don't think anyone is going to know or care about King Tiger enough to keep the line afloat.
    Valiant- X-O Manowar / Bloodshot Salvation / Ninja-K / Quantum and Woody! / Shadowman / Harbinger Wars II / Brittania
    DC- Justice League / Hal Jordan and the GLC / The Flash / Aquaman / Mera / Mister Miracle / Silencer / The Terrifics
    Other- The Walking Dead / Mighty Morphin Power Rangers / Go Go Power Rangers

At this point I've picked up the first 3 issues of the Black Hood and issue #1 of The Fox; and I like what I've read so far. So I'm planning to follow through with the first arcs on all three of these Dark Circle titles.

I'm at the point now where I am re-evaluating my current pull list in order to drop some titles that aren't as strong as they used to be. I also have some mini series that are almost done. All of this will clear the way to add at least some of these new titles. If Dark Circle can keep up the quality on these opening arcs, I can easily see adding them to my pull list.
    Pull List: The Black Hammer, Bitch Planet, Copperhead, Hellboy/BPRD, Monstress, Ms. Marvel, Southern Cross

Twitter: @JavasaurusRex

Mighty Member

Do you find yourselves being a little worried that they will run out on your free comic this Saturday
    I mean if you cant get it Saturday can you order it for next week

Quote Originally Posted by fin5 View Post
    Do you find yourselves being a little worried that they will run out on your free comic this Saturday
    I mean if you cant get it Saturday can you order it for next week
    Its not the end of the world if , I don't get the Dark Circle promo FCBD. I know some shops go heavy on the Marvel / DC FCBD and light on the Indies. Already plan on Picking up Black Hood so , if its not there I'll get the VALIANT FCBD or something else. No biggie.

I am going early anyways, to get some other stuff for FCBD. But I asked my store to pull a copy for me, so I can get it. Since I have a pull list with them. Maybe you an ask your store to do the same thing?
    Pulls:

Thats a good idea thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by AstroWolfboy View Post
    Thats a good idea thanks.
    No problem! I hope you get it. I can't wait to see The Shield stuff in it. Is it Saturday yet haha.
    Pulls:

Yep, Black Hood is awesome. I just read #3 and am totally sold on this new hero.

Ok Thanks to Power Torch I called a head , and I was able to get a Comic with the advice of getting to #FCBD Bright any early. I read through the Dark Circle Promo, and man I'm so glad took notice of Black Hood. But I was a little let down - The Shield was still only concept art and not full comic. But It feels like this is only the tip of the iceberg of what these comics are up too. I was also thumbing threw the $1 boxes and found the first issue of the 80's Black Hood. So I picked that up as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AstroWolfboy; 05-04-2015 at 12:19 PM.