BANNED

Default The origin of Krypton Is Similar to The Egyptian Exploding Planet Mythology

I wonder if Superman's contributors was influenced by it. I searched the internet but couldn't find any mention of this. So sad how DC treated Superman's creators. I knew the leadership at Marvel is Mobster like but DC too?

There is no chance of Siegel or Shuster explaining the true origins of the Man of Steel. Both have died, Shuster in 1992 and Siegel in 1996.
    It took them several years to sell their creation. When they did, they received only a cheque for 130 dollars in exchange for handing DC Comics the rights to the character "forever".
    Over the years they staged numerous legal attempts to win back the rights as Superman became increasingly lucrative for his owners, failing but being awarded financial settlements. Eventually, after selling the film rights in a multi-million dollar deal, DC Comics agreed to pay Siegel and Shuster 20,000 dollars a year for life and include their names in the credits of all future Superman publications.
    Mr Meltzer notes that Mitchell Siegel's death remains a mystery. "To this day, half the family was told it was a heart attack, while the other half says it was a murder," he notes on his website. But he remains convinced of its importance.
    "And why did the world get Superman? Because a little boy named Jerry Siegel heard his father was murdered and, in grief, created a bulletproof man."
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/cele...ans-birth.html

http://www.tcj.com/who-discovered-superman/

So what inspirations led to those final touches to the Superman we know? Where did the alien heritage, the costume, and the mild mannered identity come from? To explain all that might take a whole other article, but the short answer is that Jerry Siegel simply came up with most of those crowning touches.
    http://www.supermanhomepage.com/comi...s/canadian-way

al.blogspot.com/2004/09/was-atlantis-exploded-planet.html

The god Osiris, for example (a Sky-god until his murder by Seth) was said to have fallen from the Sky and "split open the Earth",

Similarly, when the god Geb was forcefully separated from Nut and fell to the Earth, he did not become the Earth, but lay upon its surface and, according to one legend, carried out construction and renovation work to the Earth in "thousands of foundations and millions of places".

"exploded planet hypothesis"

Egyptologists say that Ra was a Sun-god, and nothing more than a Sun-god, but this is simply not true.

In fact, the anomalies of both the Pyramid and the exploded planet cult lend support to one another, and strengthen considerably the hypothesis for a lost race with a fantastic scientific capability.

primeval mounds emerged at the beginning of time

Hence the Egyptians imagined planets as "islands" floating in the cosmic waters, the latter surely being the "true ocean" described by Plato.

Is the legend of Atlantis being destroyed by earthquake and flood simply a repeat of the tales of Osiris being dismembered or drowned? Was Atlantis an exploded planet? Support for this theory is found in the etymology of "Atlas", the first of the ten kings whom Poseidon appointed in charge of this fabled island.

Jerry Siegel awoke in the middle of the night with the basic tenants of Superman and Clark Kent fully formed.

Read More: Superman Co-Creators Jerry Siegel & Joe Shuster Discuss The Man Of Steel’s Origins [Video] | http://comicsalliance.com/superman-j...ckback=tsmclip

Superman's early development was awkward. Siegel first used the name in 1933 for a science fiction story titled, “The Reign of Superman,” with illustrations by Schuster. Inspired by the German philosopher Nietzsche, Siegel's first Superman was an evil mastermind with advanced mental powers. Unfortunately, the text of this story has been lost to history.
    http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/.../superman.html

in 1933 they created their first Superman story. 'Reign of the Superman' featured an earth man gaining godlike abilities, but then squandered them in an effort to acquire power and wealth.

Jerry Siegel said, “What led me into creating Superman in the early thirties? … Hearing and reading of the oppression and slaughter of helpless, oppressed Jews in Nazi Germany … seeing movies depicting the horrors of privation suffered by the downtrodden … I had the great urge to help… help the downtrodden masses, somehow. How could I help them when I could barely help myself? Superman was the answer.”
    http://www.denofgeek.us/books-comics...s-jewish-roots

Retired

I never heard of the Egyptian exploding planet theory.

The asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter was discovered in the 1800s and this was where some had predicted a planet should be. So many theorized that there had been a planet there that had exploded and the asteroids were its remnants. I think that's more likely to have influenced Jerry Siegel.

I think the idea of Superman coming from a destroyed planet was a later development of his origin. Before that, I believe Siegel and Shuster wanted Superman to be from a future Earth, sent back in time by his scientist father--there's a Slam Bradley story that strongly suggests this idea. And before that, they were probably working off the idea from GLADIATOR, of a boy who is made superhuman by science.

Maybe they decided on him being from another planet because it was a simpler origin story and didn't need a lot of background explanation.

BANNED

One can easily draw a line between the "helpless and oppressed" to Jewish Americans in the early 20th Century. The story of the death of Krypton is one of the more original things in Superman's origin, and if you look closely at the Pre-Crisis Krypton, it's pretty clear that it is more or less an outer space Isreal. Which makes sense-the editor of the comic and most of the writers were Jewish, so they wrote what they knew. Siegel took old end of the world stories and applied it to an alien world, which was a genius touch, one of his many such touches.

Was there any allusions that the Kents might have been Jewish, by chance? I know it wouldn't have been stated outright but with all the other symbolism there I wonder if in Siegel's heads they were.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Was there any allusions that the Kents might have been Jewish, by chance? I know it wouldn't have been stated outright but with all the other symbolism there I wonder if in Siegel's heads they were.
    No, Siegel never really got a chance to develop them much, and by the time he came back to writing Superman in the 60's they were established as generic white (presumably Protestant) characters. One thing that was different about the Kents until much more recently was that Smallville was not in Kansas, but was instead within driving distance of Metropolis. A slightly Jewish trope involving Jonathan Kent is he was a lot like Clark, who of course is the classic Jewish nebbish type of character.

Another thing that people don't really get about Clark Kent is that a lot of what he is doing by being Clark is he is emulating Jonathan Kent. Guys who are close to their fathers do this all the time, sometimes on purpose, sometimes by instinct. I do it.

I think people could buy the nerdy Clark a little more if they saw that Jonathan was a quiet, mild-mannered gentle type himself.
    Last edited by Kurosawa; 05-21-2014 at 08:08 PM.