View Poll Results: Which 21st century Batman villains and anti-heroes had/have the most creative potential?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hush

9 17.31%
  • Jason Todd (Red Hood)

10 19.23%
  • Michael Lane (Bat-Devil/Azrael)

2 3.85%
  • Doctor Hurt and the Black Glove

14 26.92%
  • Professor Pyg and the Circus of Strange

15 28.85%
  • Eduardo Flamingo

8 15.38%
  • The Court of Owls

30 57.69%
  • Lincoln March (Owlman)

5 9.62%
  • Other

3 5.77%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb Best modern Batman villains

Which Batman villains and anti-heroes created this century were the best characters or hold the most future potential? I tried to include as many popular choices as I could, but select "Other" if you've got any other picks!

BANNED

Jason Todd definitely shouldn't be on here, but I understand you're talking about his new form.

My vote goes to Pyg, can see him being used well in the future.

I'd say James Gordon, Jr is worthy of mention, at least The Black Mirror version.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Morrison's new rogues (Pyg, Hurt, Flamingo, etc) and the Court of Owls are the best.

Pyg is a great because he has the traditional style and Morrison wrote him so well and made him so interesting.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Flamingo cracks me up. And he kicked sufficient ass.

I think I like Johnny Valentine, the Son of Pyg more than Professor Pyg. Skeevy, flashy bastard.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

I know that he's one of the more actively disliked Bat-characers in existence, but honestly think that Hush has a lot of potential. Cool gimmicks, a good visual and, at least in Paul Dini's hands, interesting motivations and themes. It's too bad that he's so heavily tied to his first story, which is terribly confused regarding who he is and why he's doing what he does. Which is why it's a damn travesty that no one took the opportunity to properly streamline his origin/first story in Batman Eternal.

Most of the Morrison villains are interesting when he writes them, but they all suffer from the same weakness that a lot of Morrison's super hero creations struggle with; being more concept than characters. Flamingo probably has the most potential as a "plug-n'-play" villain, but while he certainly has an awesome visual appeal he's very limited as a character in that he doesn't speak.

Also, I standy by that that Jason Todd/Red Hood would work much better as a straight up villain than a dime-a-dozen anti hero, at least if the whole resurrection business has to stand. I'm sure someone could have written around the fact that he probably should have just put a slug between the eyes of Joker and a lot of the other villains about a week after he woke up, and just make him an extremely capable yet tragic adversary for Batman.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Aside from Dr. Hurt and Jet, I really like a lot of Morrison's new villains. They all have really cool designs and gimmicks. They're all woefully underdeveloped, but there's enough wiggle room to add some interesting backstory for a lot of them, and I hope writers get around to fleshing them out more. Seeley seems to like using them, so hopefully he's the one.

I'm pretty "meh" on the rest of them though. Hush is redundant with the likes of Ra's, Hugo, Bane and Harvey (the former friend angle) around. And Jason is going nowhere fast. He's another character whose role as the reformed, more edgy vigilante could have been filled by Harvey Dent, and it would have been way more interesting.

The Court of Owls, and that's it...

The Court of Owls. That whole concept brings something new and interesting to the mythos and is a lot more interesting in some ways than a standard solo villain ala the Joker.
    Honestly, the only villain in Bat-comics to compete with the Court in my opinion is Ra's al Ghul and the League of Assassins.

Incredible Member

Humpty Dumpty.

And helloooo, there is like ten more empty poll entry spaces! Humpty Dumpty, Great White Shark, Jane Doe, the Mortician, Kyle Abbott, Whisper A'Daire, Fright, the Wonderland Gang. You could have added other recents like Doll Maker, White Rabbit, Emperor Penguin, Merry Maker, Mister Toxic, but NOOoooo, all I see is mostly the Morrison and Snyder babies. If so, could have added Jackanapes too while at it. "Other", or just don't know / care about them?
    Last edited by ngroove; 04-24-2015 at 11:55 AM.

From this group, I voted Flamingo, although I would've voted for Charlie Caligula. It may be a moot point since they all seemingly got blown up in convergence #3.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Court of Owls. Love the whole concept
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

All-New Member

Wow, I've returned to reading comics after a 17 year hiatus, and I only know who two of those are

All-New Member

Yup, our Jason Todd died in Bosnia. Nobody can be risen from the dead who was sent there by a 1-900 #

BANNED

I'll never understand all the love the Court gets,I mean what's so special? mysterious? that's because no writer has bothered giving that mythology anything substantial. Obviously they're gonna be mysterious when there's no one in that organization worth a damn. No one can name an individual member of the Court,and those who can are unlikely to find Sebastian Clark or John Wycliffe to be top Batman villain material.

The execution behind the concept is lacklustre, generic bad guys in suits who lord over an equally generic army of undead assassins. I still wanna know why they're obsessed with owls beyond the story requirement theme of Owl hunt Bats,keeping details like these does not make them mysterious,it means writers are not making any serious efforts at expanding the mythology.

Dr Hurt would be choice,he's Hush and Lincoln done right,and while we're at it the Black Glove is the Court done right.