View Poll Results: Which 21st century Batman villains and anti-heroes had/have the most creative potential?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hush

9 17.31%
  • Jason Todd (Red Hood)

10 19.23%
  • Michael Lane (Bat-Devil/Azrael)

2 3.85%
  • Doctor Hurt and the Black Glove

14 26.92%
  • Professor Pyg and the Circus of Strange

15 28.85%
  • Eduardo Flamingo

8 15.38%
  • The Court of Owls

30 57.69%
  • Lincoln March (Owlman)

5 9.62%
  • Other

3 5.77%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Astonishing Member

Def. Doctor Hurt and Professor Pyg. Prefer Black Glove to Court of Owls.

Quote Originally Posted by joybeans View Post
    I'd say James Gordon, Jr is worthy of mention, at least The Black Mirror version.
    I'm putting in another vote for James Jr. Specifically the Black Mirror version, where he was deliciously creepy and you could never quite tell if he was telling you something straight or if it was part of his crabwise mental state.

Nobody's used him since as well as Snyder did, though I did like the moment in Eternal when he showed up at Blackgate just to gloat and taunt and try to corrupt his father after Jim was put in jail.

Astonishing Member

I'll third the above James Jr. Black Mirror version. Damn that's a brilliant book.

BANNED

I'm on for James Jr. as well, and that is a brilliant book.

BANNED

Nobody. He was introduced in the first arch of New 52's Batman and Robin. He's so interesting.

I voted for the Black Glove, but ngroove reminded me that I did like Jane Doe a lot as well (has she been used since "Living Hell"?) And I also loved the "Black Mirror" story with James Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Morrison's new rogues (Pyg, Hurt, Flamingo, etc) and the Court of Owls are the best.

Pyg is a great because he has the traditional style and Morrison wrote him so well and made him so interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Flamingo cracks me up. And he kicked sufficient ass.

I think I like Johnny Valentine, the Son of Pyg more than Professor Pyg. Skeevy, flashy bastard.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewFiftyForum View Post
    Most of the Morrison villains are interesting when he writes them, but they all suffer from the same weakness that a lot of Morrison's super hero creations struggle with; being more concept than characters. Flamingo probably has the most potential as a "plug-n'-play" villain, but while he certainly has an awesome visual appeal he's very limited as a character in that he doesn't speak.
    I agree with all of the above, however I think Flamingo works because in B&R he was used more as a literal weapon than a character. In that respect I think being virtually mute benefits the characterisation. He isn't there to talk and go on about grandiose plans - Flamingo is purely and simply a glamorous looking predator. In B&R, Doctor Hurt somehow controls him and sends Flamingo at B&R as a last-ditch solution.

I'd love to see any of Morrison's newer villians done again, BUT only if they are done with the right characterisation and persona. I almost wept when I saw how badly they were written in last week's Convergence...

A couple that aren't in the poll that I'd like done well:

- 99 Fiends

- Son of Pyg, I'm suprised he hasn't turned up in Grayson yet considering the series is based in St. Hadrians where Johnny Valentine was last based.

- Tiger Shark has popped up a couple of times but I'd like something more than just quick cameos.

- Then there's all the Nightrunner villains from that final issue of B&R; Son of Man, Paradox, The Id, Sister Crystal, etc...
    Last edited by Sharkey; 04-29-2015 at 11:16 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    There's a universe where everything is Luchadores.

I WANT TO GO TO THE UNIVERSE WHERE EVERYTHING IS LUCHADORES.

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Wolf View Post
    I voted for the Black Glove, but ngroove reminded me that I did like Jane Doe a lot as well (has she been used since "Living Hell"?) And I also loved the "Black Mirror" story with James Jr.
    Jane Doe was a prominent villain in the Manhunter back-ups from Streets of Gotham - Unfortunately, I don't think those Manhunter stories have been collected.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hilden B. Lade View Post
    Jane Doe was a prominent villain in the Manhunter back-ups from Streets of Gotham - Unfortunately, I don't think those Manhunter stories have been collected.
    Buy the comics then.

Other than Batman Volume 1 608-619, Batman Volume 2 1-11, and a slew of things that involves Harley Quinn in them, they should only be slightly but not much higher than their labelled price, "modern" Batman back issues of the last fifteen years.
    Last edited by ngroove; 04-30-2015 at 09:38 AM.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
    - Son of Pyg, I'm suprised he hasn't turned up in Grayson yet considering the series is based in St. Hadrians where Johnny Valentine was last based.
    St Hadrian's, itself, has been a big disappointment for me, in Grayson.

In Inc it was the DCU St. Trinian's with pop star teachers, and in Grayson it's a bunch of incompetents looking sexy and salivating over Dick. And, yes, that includes Bertinelli.

There's such a huge difference between Batgirl being "there to teach" and Dick being there to "teach" Helena a lesson and impress some generic schoolgirls with no chance of a personality.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
    I agree with all of the above, however I think Flamingo works because in B&R he was used more as a literal weapon than a character. In that respect I think being virtually mute benefits the characterisation. He isn't there to talk and go on about grandiose plans - Flamingo is purely and simply a glamorous looking predator. In B&R, Doctor Hurt somehow controls him and sends Flamingo at B&R as a last-ditch solution.
    Purely on a visceral and aesthetic level, Flamingo was just the coolest thing ever. Especially for the Purple Rain themed cover.