Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    While I don't want to be a total killjoy -

There is a pregnant Amazon in between raids, and it goes unnoticed? Seriously?
    Well, like Son of Baldwin said, Hippolyta managed with Diana.

Besides, if she's been camping out most of the time in the cave, she could simply have left a note with the others that she had left the island for a while.

BANNED

Let's see on new 52, there is some dark versions of WW: superwoman from earth 3, donna troy and now Grail

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfBaldwin View Post
    Also, is she from the New 52 Earth? If so, I thought only very few Amazons knew about Hippolyta's pregnancy and most Amazons thought Diana was made from clay.
    Good question. I guess these could be among the elite few who knew, though if they were in the inner circle, that makes it even more surprising that one of them could have been pregnant without anyone knowing. If they are on prime earth (or whatever the main earth is called now), maybe we'll find out more about the "plot" that a few Amazons hatched, according to issue 2, to keep Diana safe. Maybe Hippolyta made a show of going on a solitary vigil to pray over the statue and get the gods to bring it to life, and this is what these Amazons meant by saying she was "with child."

I'm not convinced that she is form the main earth, though. I think these Amazons dress a little differently from most of the ones we've seen in the New 52, and if we were supposed to be sure they were from the main earth, the creative team could made one of these Amazons someone we;ve already seen. And since Grail apparently has been fleeing around the multiverse from Darkseid, she could be from any version of Paradise Island, it seems to me.

I wonder if she spent some time on Earth 3. We never found out Power Woman's origin, other than that she's the Earth 3 Lois Lane, right? Maybe Grail hid her essence within that Lois. I think Power Woman and her baby--who was supposed to become some kind of apocalyptic figure, right?--have ot be part of this somehow.

I'm thinking Grail and Metron are allies, and its been with his help that she's been evading Darkseid all this time. It just kinda fits with the Batman stuff. The solicit talks of an ultimate temptation and the FCBD issue shows him seemingly attaining New God status. And his appearance begins resembling Metron's. Further solicits then say that stopping Grail could cost Batman his soul. Putting it together it would seem to me that Grail and Metron are connected.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    Let's see on new 52, there is some dark versions of WW: superwoman from earth 3, donna troy and now Grail

True but Superman has both Zod and Bizarro. Batman has Ras Al Ghul, the Wraith, and Promethius. Flash has Professor Zoom and the Reverse Flash.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    True but Superman has both Zod and Bizarro. Batman has Ras Al Ghul, the Wraith, and Promethius. Flash has Professor Zoom and the Reverse Flash.
    wraith and prometheus? I think on new 52 Lincoln March and owlman from earth 3 fit more the role.

I think Donna shouldn't be on this role.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    I think Donna shouldn't be on this role.
    If it had been a more interesting version of that sort of character, maybe. They way it has been done? Waste of a character.

Amazing Member

Wonder how Aquaman's reputation will recover from that.

This event seems interesting and if Grail is going to have a relationship with Batman, it will be probably similar to taking his relationship with Talia to another scale. Although personally I don't think Batman losing his soul was referring to that, but rather him becoming a God.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lwx View Post

Wonder how Aquaman's reputation will recover from that.

This event seems interesting and if Grail is going to have a relationship with Batman, it will be probably similar to taking his relationship with Talia to another scale. Although personally I don't think Batman losing his soul was referring to that, but rather him becoming a God.
    My guess is that giving up part of his soul to Grail will be a cosmic balance for his becoming a god, or vice versa; in order for Grail to be made more human, Batman has to become less human (or so it will seem, thouh I'm sure some other solution will be found in the end.) This wouldn't necessarily mean Grail and Batman have a romantic relationship, though; just that the league needs Grail to become more human and/or needs Batman to become a god, and one of those is the price of the other.

Ultimate Member

I'm curious as to how much Johns knew of the Finch's plans, and vice versa, given that this seems to be essentially the "dark WW" thing that they're also doing with Donna (only this is more natural/believable)? Also, are we sure that she's from the main Earth, and not an alternate one?

Astonishing Member

I dont' think there can be any doubt as to Johns' motives with the creation of Grail; he wants to create a Wonder Woman 'arch villain' on her level, without necessarily having to engage in a full on Wonder Woman run. Either he doubts he'd be able to write a real Wonder Woman run, and is nesting a mini WW story in JL, or he would like to write one, but doesn't have the time/is more passionate about Shazam and JL.

But Johns feels very strongly that the best villains are dark reflections of their protagonists. It is everywhere in his work. So, whatever else, I think the hope/expectation is that Grail becomes someone that future WW use.

Ultimate Member

I kind of agree with him on the whole "dark mirror" thing actually.

Astonishing Member

I'm less dogmatic, but I don't disagree necessarily.

I think the whole 'direct dark mirror' is kind of lame, honestly, on a superficial level. I don't want to see someone who has the same exact powers as Wonder Woman (for instance) to some slightly greater or lesser degree.

Ideological opposition, though, I'm all for it. But heroes stand for, and represent, many things. You can very easily make "Dr. Cyber" (to take a rarely used example) into a villain who ideologically opposes Wonder Woman, and in doing so explore a pillar of WW's character. But I don't think you need to make her history or her powers reflect Wonder Woman's 'darkly' or anything. Same with Cheetah, Angle Man, etc. Strife already is that, really.

Ultimate Member

I was referring to ideology as well actually. Batman/Joker, Superman/Lex Luthor, Daredevil/Kingpin, Captain America/Red Skull, Thor/Loki, Spider-Man/Green Goblin, Flash/Professor Zoom, etc. They all work because they're too sides of the same coin in so many ways. We'll see if Johns can pull that kind of think off here (he did great things with Flash's Rogues, Sinestro, Black Manta, Ocean Master, etc. So I'm hopeful that he can do that with Grail as well).

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    I'm curious as to how much Johns knew of the Finch's plans, and vice versa, given that this seems to be essentially the "dark WW" thing that they're also doing with Donna (only this is more natural/believable)? Also, are we sure that she's from the main Earth, and not an alternate one?

A couple of months ago, Johns commented on Twitter that he was loving what the Finchs were doing so far with Wonder Woman so my guess is that he's still reading the book at least. This was kind of rare for him as I haven't seen him praise a Wonder Woman run since Heinburg's.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.