Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    DKR was something really new at the time. But now, we've had three decades of little else but a somewhat watered down version of that Batman. It's just another face in the crowd.
    You don't actually read a lot of Batman comics, do ya?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Azzarello is certainly the better writer and will most likely ground the whackier stuff, but I haven't liked much of the Batman related stuff he's written, so that doesn't offer me much comfort. If anything, his reigning in Frank's craziness might prevent this from becoming the "so bad it's good" masterpiece it otherwise could be.

Incredible Member CrazyOldHermit's Avatar

I'm just excited that Miller is back on Twitter.
    Miller was right.

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

Hopefully there'll be a reference to the Azzarello Hellblazer arc where Constantine seduced an not-too-subtle stand-in for Bruce Wayne.
    Last edited by Hilden B. Lade; 04-24-2015 at 03:23 PM.

Astonishing Member

As much as I love his other stuff, I haven't cared for Azz's Batman work. Joker in particular is basically trash with gorgeous Bermejo art.

And I'm way over Miller, and his annoying brand of cynicism. I can't take TDKR seriously anymore, no matter how well crafted it may be. TDKSA works as the dump camp it's intended to be, but no interest in a third go around at this point.

It'll either be another Batman hit or it'll be so bad it'll become internet meme worthy like All Stars B&R. Either one is a win in my book.

Fantastic Member

Well, after reading these comments, I don't have much to add. TDKSA pretty much killed Miller for me, as it apparently did for many others. And Miller's racist and politically vicious rantings since have left me cold.

The title of the piece, however, does suggest (along with the bloody Superman symbol) that Miller is doubling down on his tradition of taking poor Supes to the cleaner and having Batman beat the crap out him and humiliate him. This time, Batman will probably end up killing Supes. After all, the last series ended with the clear implication that Superman and his daughter, Lara, would be taking over the world.

I don't know what Miller has against Superman but it's gotten old and tired. Leave the poor guy alone! We get it - Superman sucks and Batman rules. Miller's made the point. He should stop beating it to death (which may be a poor choice of words, since I suspect that's exactly where this series will end).

Astonishing Member

Actually, I'm pretty sure Miller sees Superman's fascism to be a positive thing. Since TDKR, his work has a recurring theme that people are too stupid and need heroes to rule and guide them. So Batman isn't doing much better in that department.

All Star B&R was pretty terrible, but it was so stupid and uneven that I have to think Miller didn't have his heart in it. This is the Batman world he created, so it should be automatically better.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    What was Frank Miller's last good work? I'm so over him I just feel numb to this.
    Holy Terror

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    You don't actually read a lot of Batman comics, do ya?
    I don't read a lot of most comics anymore. But I'm prepared gladly to find out things have changed and that I'm wrong if Batman has mostly pulled out of that Dark Knight mode Miller put him into.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I don't read a lot of most comics anymore. But I'm prepared gladly to find out things have changed and that I'm wrong if Batman has mostly pulled out of that Dark Knight mode Miller put him into.
    you mean Denny O'neil?

Batman was a vengeful vigilante that acted like a jerk well before Miller got to him....

You are talking about 40 years ago.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    you mean Denny O'neil?

Batman was a vengeful vigilante that acted like a jerk well before Miller got to him....

You are talking about 40 years ago.
    Yeah I always felt that Millar got way to much credit/blame for darkening Batman. The character had been going in a darker direction for a full decade before that. Millar was just the punctuation mark that completed the tranformation.

BANNED

The thing is DKR's Batman is extremely limited, once you've gotten through the "coming out of retirement" story and he's actively fighting crime again theres really not much else you can do with him. He's an old veteran, he's seem everything and he's done everything. It's why DKSA wasn't very good, Miller couldn't figure out what to do with his Batman, so he ended up doing some weird story about Batman leading and international rebellion. Theres nothing more you can do with DKR Batman.

Oh no. I hope Miller redeems himself but...common sense tells me this is going to be terrible