Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by William300 View Post
    DKR Batman is a radically different version of a character taking place in a alternate universe. I never once mentioned any other character. None of the characters in DC's or Marvel's main universe are at a place where there at the end of their line. DKR Batman is a elderly veteran at the end of his line. There nothing more to do with DKR Batman.
    You have decided this based on the premise that a character in the sunset of there story has no story left to tell. While you may not be alone in that opinion, it seems like quite a few folks would disagree.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    You have decided this based on the premise that a character in the sunset of there story has no story left to tell. While you may not be alone in that opinion, it seems like quite a few folks would disagree.
    Tell me, what do you do with DKR Batman after the "coming out retirement" story? After he's out of retirement there nothing more to do with him. He's an old veteran, he's seen everything and he's done everything. It's why the sequel was so bad, Miller couldn't think of anything more to do with him.

That's the thing. You are saying "That's why the sequel was so bad." as if it is a fact.

Not everyone feels that way.

I really enjoy DKSA, and even though I might be in the minority - I've always thought it was an awesome ride. It could never live up to DKR, so its flaw was in the book's DNA. I also liked ASBAR, even though it was a little bit of a mess - was really hoping they could at least finish the arc, but that might just be a pipe dream now that DKIII is announced.

The trust that might have wavered on Frank Miller the years, is definitely strengthened with the inclusion of Brian Azzarello, who has given us 35 solid issues of the (in my opinion) best Wonder Woman story to date.
    Last edited by CatBoy; 04-25-2015 at 04:12 PM. Reason: meow.
    Current Pull List: Catwoman - Batman - Detective Comics - Harley Quinn - Grayson - Batgirl - Afterlife With Archie - Chilling Adventures of Sabrina - Harley Quinn/Power Girl - Black Canary - Midnighter

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by William300 View Post
    Tell me, what do you do with DKR Batman after the "coming out retirement" story? After he's out of retirement there nothing more to do with him. He's an old veteran, he's seen everything and he's done everything. It's why the sequel was so bad, Miller couldn't think of anything more to do with him.
    I thought the sequel was fantastic, definitely one of the best Justice League stories I've ever read.

Incredible Member

I've said it before, I'll say it again, DKSA would have been better had it been billed (and written more) as a spinoff of DKR rather than attempting to be The Sequel. It could have been "The Justice League Returns" and I think it would have been better received.

The same will probably be true here.

I'd still like to see All Star finished first. But somehow, it just makes sense that there'd been a DKR3 before that book ever gets complete. Hell, DC will probably go through at least two more reboots before it's finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    I'd still like to see All Star finished first. But somehow, it just makes sense that there'd been a DKR3 before that book ever gets complete. Hell, DC will probably go through at least two more reboots before it's finished.
    Hahah you're probably right, I know Jim Lee has said in the past couple years that there is a possibility of finishing ASBAR - I guess it all really depends on how DKIII goes, and Frank Miller's health. I forget, was the script done for ASBAR's finale - and Jim Lee was just slow with the art?
    Current Pull List: Catwoman - Batman - Detective Comics - Harley Quinn - Grayson - Batgirl - Afterlife With Archie - Chilling Adventures of Sabrina - Harley Quinn/Power Girl - Black Canary - Midnighter

im more interested in where the story goes than anything. trying to not get my hopes up

If this was Miller solo my excitement would be pretty low but let's see what he can put out with Azz's help. Might be worth the read.
    Formerly known as YMCMB

I wish this was Frank Miller solo, but if the highly capable Brian Azzarello has to co-write then so be it. Either name would be enough to get me to buy so I'm definitely in.

Quote Originally Posted by CatBoy View Post
    I really enjoy DKSA, and even though I might be in the minority - I've always thought it was an awesome ride. It could never live up to DKR, so its flaw was in the book's DNA.
    I like DKSA too, but lets be realistic. There's more issues with it than having to live up to DKR - for example the inking and coloring are extremely simple and abstract, and the story is a lot more surreal than DKR ever was.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    I've said it before, I'll say it again, DKSA would have been better had it been billed (and written more) as a spinoff of DKR rather than attempting to be The Sequel. It could have been "The Justice League Returns" and I think it would have been better received.

I always thought it would have been loved had it been a DC comic by a new indie/offbeat creator.

ASBAR is not finished? Wow. I had just bought issue 1 when I joined this forum for the first time.
    Is he still in the batmobile after taking Dick from the circus?

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tombo View Post
    I like DKSA too, but lets be realistic. There's more issues with it than having to live up to DKR - for example the inking and coloring are extremely simple and abstract, and the story is a lot more surreal than DKR ever was.

I always thought it would have been loved had it been a DC comic by a new indie/offbeat creator.

ASBAR is not finished? Wow. I had just bought issue 1 when I joined this forum for the first time.
    Is he still in the batmobile after taking Dick from the circus?
    The coloring and inking are my favorite parts, seriously that was some beautiful art.

Krakoa is for lovers Blackphoenix's Avatar

I can't believe DC is wiling to let Miller anywhere near the Dark Knight after DK2 and All Star Batman & Robin. Batman: The Dark Knight Returns was epic. It did not need a sequel; it should have ended where it did. I won't be giving this a second glance when it comes out.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tombo View Post
    Which, for me, would be total plusses. The coloring was pure boss, to use the vernacular of the era it came out in. The cartooning and range in the art is amazing and every page is gorgeously laid out. All the structural and exaggeration stuff that Miller was honing in Sin City just exploded into superhero form.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Which, for me, would be total plusses. The coloring was pure boss, to use the vernacular of the era it came out in. The cartooning and range in the art is amazing and every page is gorgeously laid out. All the structural and exaggeration stuff that Miller was honing in Sin City just exploded into superhero form.
    Lynn Varley was only learning to use digital colouring at the time IIRC and yet she managed to pull off the most amazing effects to demonstrate the powers of a Green Lantern that are yet to be topped.