Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default POLL: What Do You Think of Frank Miller's Return to "The Dark Knight?"

What's your take on legendary creator Frank Miller working on a third "The Dark Knight Returns" story, this time joined by Brian Azzarello?

Full article here.

Miller is quite the character now aint he? He's been cruising on his rep for over a decade now. Will he try again to have Batman fighting Muslim terrorists? He really seems to like that...a lot.

could absolutely not care less.

the 2nd one looks like he drew it with his foot.. this one?. . . not even gonna bother with it.
    A sandwich is a sandwich, but a Manwich is a meal

"Evil people can do some non-evil things, and most of them do. That doesn't mean they aren't evil." -- JeffereyWKramer

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ll...yo5eo1_400.gif

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

I'm taking a wait and see approach on this. I'm part of the small group that actually really likes DKSA, but I thought All-Star Batman and Robin was something of a mess. I mostly pin that on the choice of Jim Lee as the artist-- his style made it look like any other superhero book when it really should have had someone like Sergio Aragones or Phil Bond to bring out the humor and satire. I'm little concerned about the pairing with Azz, too-- I generally like Azz' work, but I think pairing him with Frank could bring out the worst in both them, leaving us with an impenetrable disaster.

Still, I can't help but hope this is something of a comeback for Frank, who was a major transformative figure for the industry in the '80s and '90s.

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    Miller is quite the character now aint he? He's been cruising on his rep for over a decade now. Will he try again to have Batman fighting Muslim terrorists? He really seems to like that...a lot.
    agreed.
    i don't feel he was the force he was before..that holy terror book is terrible

although with Brian around, that should help things
    What we used to call life has very little worth these days. Welcome to the very edge.
    --Prince Namor (Earth-616)

I can't wait....to laugh at how bad it'll be. That is if it comes out, because it's obvious Stan Lee got to draining most of Millers life force from him.

BANNED

Reminds me of Kevin Smith going back to the well with "Mallrats 2" and "Clerks 3", I'm hoping it works out but I have serious doubts (especially after seeing their recent offerings, and yes I include "Red State" in that).

I wish I could be enthusiastic for this, but given a: how awful DKSA (Dark Knight Sucks Ass) was, and how far Miller has fallen creatively in general since he finished up Sin City, I'm not at all optimistic.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

I love DKSA. I mostly love All-Star. And, while I'm not in love with Holy Terror, it was undoubtedly one of the strongest and best laid out comics I read that year. I think Miller's layouts and arrangements are some of the best we've ever seen in comics and he knows how to push buttons like a master.

This is not in any way incompetent work or trading on past glory:

Nor, have I ever see Frank Miller declare hmself "the best" or the only good talent in comics or... well, anything like that. He's not glorifying himself by writing a Batman comic again. Anyone who wants to do a Batman comic bad enough, does a Batman comic. It's not a mark of quality. It's not Miller thinking he's "still got it" or oh so wonderful. It's a Batman comic he wants to do.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Incredible Member

I liked Strikes again (which was less a Batman book and more of a DCU beyond for mature readers book imo).
    It wasn't perfect, I personally felt DKR was crafted much better, but even if it's as over the top as the Spirit film, I still expect to be entertained and will likely find the almost assured politically incorrect, non sanitized satire both refreshing and hilarious

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

After the Chinese fire drill that was DKSA, I'm not the least bit interested.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

It's been fun. Toodles. Paradox's Avatar

bert speaks first:

could absolutely not care less.

the 2nd one looks like he drew it with his foot.. this one?. . . not even gonna bother with it.
    Ditto. The whole "media commentary" bit was old and tired by then, too.
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

The Conclave group page on Primus (a work in progress)
    Champions: The Conclave (an updating Facebook Gallery)
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

I like the look of DKSA, but the story is everything I didn't like about DKR, magnified.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

As one of the few who wasn't even really a big fan of the first book(yea, i said it), I also couldn't care less about this.
    Last edited by Detox; 04-28-2015 at 05:39 AM.

I'm tentatively hopeful. My quibbles with his recent work are largely based on his writing, so maybe Azzarello can keep this from veering too far off track.

Did they say if Lynn Varley would be coloring it? I've come around on her DKSA colors (and DKSA in general) over the years, but they were a big part of why I disliked it at the time.