Default A Fan's Rejected Proposal For A Spider-Man Film

In November 2013, as spotted by a Twitter user named @DukeLovesYou, Pascal and Sony Pictures CEO Michael Lynton received an email from Nick Shore, an ex-MTV executive who now helps run a new Sony venture called Astronauts Wanted: No Experience Necessary, which aims to help Sony reach millennials via Vine or whatever.

So, what happens when a middle-aged one-time television executive tries to figure out what appeals to teens? Why, how about making Spider-Man really into working out and Skrillex, plus having “him” create a “very buzzworthy and cool” Snapchat “circle”?

Spidey thought

Hey Amy - just a couple of rando thoughts from 35,000 LAX-JFK:

- A rising trend we see with Millennials are the really extreme forms of experiential exercise like Tough Mudder (a sort of filthy triathalon), the Color Run and even things like Hot Power Yoga, veganism etc. Millennials will often post “N.B.D.” on their social media after doing it , as in No Big Deal, also known as the “humble brag”.....wondering if Spidey could get into that in some way....he’s super athletic, bendy, strong, intense....and it’s all NBD to him, of course.

- EDM (electronic dance music) is the defining music for Millennials. Wondering if there’s an EDM angle somewhere with Spidey? His movements are beautiful, would be awesome with a killer DJ behind it

- Snapchat just launched a “story” functionality, which is sort of “day in the life of me” told in a series of snapchats that expire after 24 hours. It has a very VIP quality about it, since invitation only. Getting invited into Spidey’s Snapchat circle would be huge, and very buzzworthy and cool.

http://defamer.gawker.com/some-tech-...2/+charliejane

The full email.

Hey Amy - just a couple of rando thoughts from 35,000 LAX-JFK:

- A rising trend we see with Millennials are the really extreme forms of experiential exercise like Tough Mudder (a sort of filthy triathalon), the Color Run and even things like Hot Power Yoga, veganism etc. Millennials will often post "N.B.D." on their social media after doing it , as in No Big Deal, also known as the "humble brag".....wondering if Spidey could get into that in some way....he's super athletic, bendy, strong, intense....and it's all NBD to him, of course.

- EDM (electronic dance music) is the defining music for Millennials. Wondering if there's an EDM angle somewhere with Spidey? His movements are beautiful, would be awesome with a killer DJ behind it

- Snapchat just launched a "story" functionality, which is sort of "day in the life of me" told in a series of snapchats that expire after 24 hours. It has a very VIP quality about it, since invitation only. Getting invited into Spidey's Snapchat circle would be huge, and very buzzworthy and cool.

Also on American Hustle, I was thinking (and it may be way too late for this), it would be awesome to get all the cool fashion brands to do a huge 70s style collab.....Urban Outfitters, Free People, American Apparel etc. They're sort of leaning 70's already, Macklemore hitting it a bit with Thrift
    It got cut off at a weird moment. This seems to be a bad take on Spider-Man.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

What will happen is that in twenty years it will look just as awkward as the time when Peter Parker wore a poncho and went disco dancing with Mary Jane while making liberal use of the phrase "far out."
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Would you even call this guy a "fan"?

And reading the comment section of the article, the only commenter mentions that Pascal liked this. I mean LOVED THIS.

BANNED

Well, it can certainly tumble headfirst into total caricature, but I'm not against Peter actually having topical hobbies and likes. Guy's an engineer, he should probably like some off-beat synthesized music. Yeah, it may date the movie, but at least he wouldn't just be stuck in some ancient definition of what's a nerd from the 60s.

Those suggestions seem rather unfitting, arbitrary and trying way too hard to both modernize and fix things that aren't broken. What's next, having Peter cruise around on a skateboard?
    Wait a minute...
    "Tell me there's something better. Go ahead, try."

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Sounds like something from YouTube

A Green Unpleasant Man Rob London's Avatar

All I can think of is this:

tumblr_n09ay42P7E1r7qroao1_500.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rob London View Post

LOL

This is jsut a horrible horrible idea

Quote Originally Posted by Rob London View Post

Where's this from?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Where's this from?
    30 Rock.

Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Why would a young Peter Parker not like some sort of contemporary music, even the weird kind?