Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Kaptara, #1

Keith finds himself on an alien planet in Chip Zdarsky and Kagan McLeod's "Kaptara" #1.

Full review here.

I agree on four stars. I enjoyed the first issue a lot, and the first paragraph of the review perfectly sums up my feelings,

"Packed with much to love and some to improve upon, "Kaptara" #1 is a humorous hodgepodge that bodes well for the series to come. Chip Zdarsky and Kagan McLeod create an offbeat world and snappy cast and, even when these elements don't quite mesh, there's so much fun stuff cooking in the issue that it remains an easy, entertaining read. As a story, "Kaptara" #1 didn't quite hook me but, as a preview of what's to come, it did enough to get the series on my pull list. This is going to be an interesting one."
    Harley Quinn, New Suicide Squad, Grayson, Batgirl, Red Sonja, The Mighty Thor, Catwoman, Bitch Planet, Secret Six, Silk, Descender, Sabrina, Archie, JLA, DC Bombshells, Black Magick, Paper Girls, Tokyo Ghost, Vampirella, Scarlet Witch, A-Force, Extraordinary X-Men, X-Men '92, The Legend of Wonder Woman, All-New Wolverine, Power Rangers, Hellcat, Monstress, Descender

The more I read Image titles, the more I am tempted to go all but exclusively Image. There are a couple of mainstream titles I really enjoy, Astro City and All New Hawkeye in particular, but these Image titles just continue to blow my mind, and impress.

You pay less, you get more pages, better quality paper, stories written by the creators, for the creators, and NO RELAUNCHES. I wish someone could push me over the edge. I would love to haul all my Marvel/DC off the shelf, and out of the boxes, and be done with it.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anjohl View Post
    The more I read Image titles, the more I am tempted to go all but exclusively Image. There are a couple of mainstream titles I really enjoy, Astro City and All New Hawkeye in particular, but these Image titles just continue to blow my mind, and impress.

You pay less, you get more pages, better quality paper, stories written by the creators, for the creators, and NO RELAUNCHES. I wish someone could push me over the edge. I would love to haul all my Marvel/DC off the shelf, and out of the boxes, and be done with it.
    Image is really putting out some gems these days. Kaptara is my personal fave ATM. Storyline I am deep into The Walking Dead but Kaptara has such an appealing charm to me.

Everything I pull is Image be it issues or TPB. The only other ones I follow right now and plan to are Secret Wars and anything Deadpool.

Quote Originally Posted by GuyOne View Post
    Image is really putting out some gems these days. Kaptara is my personal fave ATM. Storyline I am deep into The Walking Dead but Kaptara has such an appealing charm to me.
    Amen. I've described this book as "Eric from the D&D cartoon gets stranded on Eternia." It has that wonderful vibe of logic-free 80's imagination without being a slave to nostalgia (or PG ratings). And while I don't exactly like Kieth yet, I am intrigued by his baggage and growth potential. I hope this book can hang around for at least a year.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    ...And while I don't exactly like Kieth yet, I am intrigued by his baggage and growth potential. I hope this book can hang around for at least a year.
    This is my first and only concern. I know someone just like Kieth. First I couldn't stand him but eventually we turned into good friends. If I didn't have that friend now I have a feeling I wouldn't be into Kieth at all. Luckily I met that friend first.

I love the Flash Gordon style to it and the color palette is beautiful. The artwork will fits well.

It seems to be selling well so far. My LCBS said they have about a half dozen people following it and a few in inquiring about it. This, of course, is a city of about 120,000 so it seems to be pretty decent. The owner seemed to be happy with the numbers and wasn't surprised that I was following it. Take that for what it is LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Amen. I've described this book as "Eric from the D&D cartoon gets stranded on Eternia." It has that wonderful vibe of logic-free 80's imagination without being a slave to nostalgia (or PG ratings). And while I don't exactly like Kieth yet, I am intrigued by his baggage and growth potential. I hope this book can hang around for at least a year.
    Eternia is PERFECT. I found it had a TOTALLY He-Man vibe, in the most hilarious way. I also got some "Heavy Metal" vibes from it, and even better, some vibes of the South Park episode MOCKING Heavy Metal! Psychowl's three panel introduction is the first time a comic book made me laugh out loud, and I can still revisit it and laugh to this day!

Liked this more than I expected to.

Dug the Flash Gordon-ness.