Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031 LastLast

Thread: Rat Queens

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysalis_Changling View Post
    just hearing about this makes me think this is probably the biggest downside with following Indie Comics...they could get derailed and canned without warning at anytime because the creative team just decided to stop doing it and sometimes without telling anyone
    Yeah there are risks no matter which company you are getting your books from. But overall I still find the way things are done at Image to be far less frustrating and infuriating than the way the big 2 do things these days. A series falling off the radar once in a blue moon and a delay here and there is still way better than the constant events/crossovers, creative team changes, regular reboots, and double shipping.

I'm sure it sucks when you lose one out of the blue but it hasn't happened to me yet.

BANNED

At Image when a series falls off the radar there's no telling if it'll ever come back because it's all up to the creator and if he's bored of it then that's it

You are at the mercy of the creator's feelings at any given moment they might just throw they're hands up and say Okay this isn't working out

and that's not something you wanna bet on....hoping that maybe this guy isn't the kind of person who will get bored quickly and move onto something else

At Marvel/DC If You Just Flake Out on a book then you're ass is grass

but at Image since you have more freedom than you would anywhere else you could simply write up 3 issues and then vanish to never return again
    Last edited by Chrysalis_Changling; 08-08-2016 at 08:54 AM.

Incredible Member

Rat Queens to return in March 2017

The cult favorite Image/Shadowline title Rat Queens is returning in the new year with a new #1 and a new artist. Writer/co-creator Kurtis J. Wiebe has recruited artist/colorist Owen Gieni (Negative Space, Glory, Manifest Destiny) for what's described as a "fresh, soft-reboot" of the fantasy series.

"Owen's style brings a real return to high adventure, insane action and character comedy,” Wiebe told Newsarama. “He has an amazing talent for crafting a world and when his characters act, they feel genuine and real. Writing scripts for Owen is the most fun I've had on the series in a very long time. Our new start with Rat Queens is getting back to the basics. Four friends who kill monsters for money. Except it's even weirder."
    Credit: Owen Gieni (Image Comics / Shadowline)

Rat Queens #1 is scheduled to debut March 1 with a first arc titled "Cat Kings and Other Gary's."

“Having this opportunity to bring these loved characters to life is a dream come true," said Gieni, who worked with Wiebe previously on Debris. "I've been a fan of Rat Queens since its first issue, so it’s such an awesome experience to play in this massive world. It's the ultimate collaboration, breaking story with Kurtis, laughing the whole time as we create new adventures really comes through in the final product. I can't wait for readers to discover Rat Queens again.”

Originally debuting in 2013, Rat Queens became a cult hit for Wiebe and co-creator/artist Roc Upchurch. Upchurch left the title in 2014 after a domestic violence arrest, with Stjepan Šejic and, later, Tess Fowler taking over the art of the title. The title went on hiatus after May's Rat Queens #16 after Fowler said she was "pushed out" so that Upchurch could return to the book. Both Wiebe and the publisher refuted those allegations, and told Newsarama that it was a planned re-organization of the book. In the interim, Wiebe worked on Rat Queens online shorts with Cecilia Dupuy, Mike Norton, and Max Dunbar.

The new Rat Queens #1 is scheduled to debut March 1.
    Sounds perfect.

Incredible Member

And a few clarification quotes from the official Facebook page

Rat Queens: Guess you'll have to find out in March. Everything that happened in Volumes 1-3 is canon.

Rat Queens: we aren't resetting the world. Everything you've read is still in place. Trust me.

Rat Queens:you'll see how it ties in. Everything still happened.

Rat Queens: 1 page Webcomics released every Wednesday by guest artists for a few months, and then back to print series March 1st with Image Comics. They start releasing next Wednesday, one a week. Nov 17 at 9:21am
    Sounds perfect.

BANNED

He's got a lot of work ahead of him to regain the fans trust

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cheesesteak View Post
    It's a shame cuz I really liked Peter Panzerfaust, RQ, and Pisces. In fact, PP had some really profound issues and Pisces was one of the best comics I ever read, very Morrison-esque.

And this was all in spite of the personality of Wiebe that I kinda had an idea of a few years ago (too hipster for me, but I can get over that). But w/ some recent things happening or coming to light (proven or just rumor) such as PP halting production w/ 2 issues left, Pisces being canned w/o any word or closure, this ongoing RQ artist ordeal (though at least Stejic leaving wasn't his fault), he seems like a really flakey, unreliable, selfish person. Maybe I'll check out the webcomic, but I really don't want to support him anymore. I suppose I still wish him the best.

Is that actually happening? I know Wiebe said he'd finish the series (there's just 2 issues left, jesus Kurtis...), but I'm not sure I buy that given these recent events. But to answer your question, I think PP is worth collecting, though there is no closure to it. Yet.
    The final two issues of PP have both been solicited for release in the new year, just FYI.

BANNED

a fan asked Kurtis J.Wiebe on twitter if anything from #16 will be addressed to which he responded no since this will take place several months after that issue

so basically fans bought an issue that has no meaning or purpose...any meaning it had is now lost with the time skip to several months later

BANNED

a fan asked Kurtis J.Wiebe on twitter if anything from #16 will be addressed to which he responded no since this will take place several months after that issue

so basically fans bought an issue that has no meaning or purpose...any meaning it had is now lost with the time skip to several months later
    Can you show the actual tweet? Because from what I have seen it just looks like it will not pick up right after issue 16, but I havent seen anything about it not been dealt with eventually.

Which is an extremely common thing in fiction and have been a stable in a lot of tv shows and comics for years.
    Last edited by Bor; 11-21-2016 at 02:40 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bor View Post
    Can you show the actual tweet? Because from what I have seen it just looks like it will not pick up right after issue 16, but I havent seen anything about it not been dealt with eventually.

Which is an extremely common thing in fiction and have been a stable in a lot of tv shows and comics for years.
    https://twitter.com/kurtisjwiebe/sta...29000862871553

BANNED

Interesting. That is wierd. But it does kind of prove who this series is mainly being written for:

Trade waiters. They will not know the difference, and a lot of them likely will not mind the wait between volumes because they are used to it.

BANNED

why not do a full on reboot at this rate? doesn't seem like he has much interest in dealing with threads of previous issues

BANNED

why not do a full on reboot at this rate? doesn't seem like he has much interest in dealing with threads of previous issues
    I think the reason is quite simple, because he wants to continue, and make the fans keep reading. If volume 1-3 is still canon then all those who read them will continue to buy it because they wont care about issue 16. It also means ha will keep on selling and earn Money of those first 3 trades.

Besides, when he explictely says that volume 1-3 is still canon there is no reason he would not build on the plot points from those.

BANNED

Its not that you cant time skip its more that doing so might as well be a retcon.

When we last read RQ. It had Hannah saying f it and joining her demon Father. It had Dee's brother getting offed. It had Violet killing Orc Dave.

Granted I be down with pretending the 3rd Arc Never Occurred.

BANNED

yeah it just makes things real confusing when the book jumps ahead several months and everyone's best friends again with no conflict between them

BANNED

Agreed I am not opposed to time jumps but based on where we last left off. You cant just time jump and have Hannah back on the team in Palisade like nothing happened.