Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    that's not Maxima story
    How would you know? Are you basing this off of the cover?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Eyeswithoutaface View Post
    How would you know? Are you basing this off of the cover?
    her story is wanting to bang so hard superman, that she goes always crawling back to him. treats other female characters badly just because they are talking with him

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

her story is wanting to bang so hard superman, that she goes always crawling back to him. treats other female characters badly just because they are talking with him
    She never once came "crawling back to him." She always approached him proudly and arrogantly, believing it to be her right to claim him as a mate. And once again? She gave up on him once and for all and went a good few YEARS never once making another approach to him.

Treating other female characters badly? She's a warrior queen. She always wants to be the Alpha Female.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    1.) That story was always non-canon.
    Actually, the story most definitely is canon. It's not an elseworlds or a what-if because Superman had an unexplained recall ability that made Waverider uneasy. It's just as canon as say...George McFly's timeline before he knocked out Biff in one punch.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyeswithoutaface View Post
    Actually, the story most definitely is canon. It's not an elseworlds or a what-if because Superman had an unexplained recall ability that made Waverider uneasy. It's just as canon as say...George McFly's timeline before he knocked out Biff in one punch.
    Oh, right! More of a self-retconning story, really.

It has been a few years for me.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    She never once came "crawling back to him." She always approached him proudly and arrogantly, believing it to be her right to claim him as a mate. And once again? She gave up on him once and for all and went a good few YEARS never once making another approach to him.

Treating other female characters badly? She's a warrior queen. She always wants to be the Alpha Female.
    "crawling" was more like a figurative thing. if you think it's ok make her all obssessive with Superman just because years, YEARS, later she moved on, ok so.

it has nothing to do with alpha female, she just can't see another female being nice with superman.

I'd love to see Maxima return. I always found her story to be rather interesting; her intentions are surprisingly noble (she wants what's best for her Empire and hopes to ensure the strongest future heir possible) but she was so friggin arrogant, proud, and stubbornly willful, and her methods were beyond reproachful. Of course, being a highly entitled, more-than-a-bit spoiled royal being told "NO" for the first time in her life didn't help her disposition.

All in all, I think she was one of the more complex females of her time, and her journey from "ruler willing to seduce/trick/rape Superman for a worthy heir" to proud and loyal member of the Justice League was a good example of comics' long-form storytelling done right.

And just for the record, by the time Extreme Justice #1 came out in....1993, 1994, Maxima had long since given up on Superman. She died in 2001, saving earth from Brainiac during Our Worlds At War. So we're looking at around seven years, at the absolute least, where she had moved beyond her desire for Superman's genetics. Those older issues are pretty hazy but I'd be confident saying that Maxima spent the larger part of a decade *not* chasing Superman. Which, I believe, is longer than she spent chasing him.

And she didn't die alone either. By that point she had recruited Massacre as her primary body guard and military general. While a romance between them was never confirmed or even really hinted at, they did seem to be very close and respected each other to such a degree that Massacre refused to leave her side during those last moments. She may not have ever found a mate for her Empire, but she was not alone.

As for this whole "Clark could just donate seed" thing....he's the last of his kind. You really think he's just going to start letting random strangers continue their genetic lines with his DNA? No, he's a tad more protective of his own heritage than that, and more than a little concerned about how a royal family with his powers could affect the galactic status quo.

Blacksun, you said you've never actually read the character and you're information is coming from wikipedia. You do realize that this puts you in a terrible position right? Because you literally do not know what you're talking about. All you've got are a few panels from early in her career and one cover, the events of which never actually happened within the pages themselves.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Seriously, have you read any books with Maxima in them?

Blacksun, could you please post the page after this one? I Love Diana's dismissal of Maxima. lol.

"crawling" was more like a figurative thing. if you think it's ok make her all obssessive with Superman just because years, YEARS, later she moved on, ok so.

it has nothing to do with alpha female, she just can't see another female being nice with superman.
    Richard Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by richalex View Post
    Blacksun, could you please post the page after this one? I Love Diana's dismissal of Maxima. lol.
    If I had the issue, I certainly would post it for everyone's enjoyment!

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I'd love to see Maxima return. I always found her story to be rather interesting; her intentions are surprisingly noble (she wants what's best for her Empire and hopes to ensure the strongest future heir possible) but she was so friggin arrogant, proud, and stubbornly willful, and her methods were beyond reproachful. Of course, being a highly entitled, more-than-a-bit spoiled royal being told "NO" for the first time in her life didn't help her disposition.
    That makes sound Maxima like a female Namor. Female Namor from space. Interesting.

All in all, I think she was one of the more complex females of her time, and her journey from "ruler willing to seduce/trick/rape Superman for a worthy heir" to proud and loyal member of the Justice League was a good example of comics' long-form storytelling done right.
    And just for the record, by the time Extreme Justice #1 came out in....1993, 1994, Maxima had long since given up on Superman. She died in 2001, saving earth from Brainiac during Our Worlds At War. So we're looking at around seven years, at the absolute least, where she had moved beyond her desire for Superman's genetics. Those older issues are pretty hazy but I'd be confident saying that Maxima spent the larger part of a decade *not* chasing Superman. Which, I believe, is longer than she spent chasing him.
    Sadly after Extreme Justice she went on her old customs again and after a new rejection from a (then married) electro Superman she started to search revenge and all that charm was lost. She still have potential to become something more than a obsessed scorned woman.

And she didn't die alone either. By that point she had recruited Massacre as her primary body guard and military general. While a romance between them was never confirmed or even really hinted at, they did seem to be very close and respected each other to such a degree that Massacre refused to leave her side during those last moments. She may not have ever found a mate for her Empire, but she was not alone.

It was just implied but never confirmed indeed. That was his last hurrah, she was a queen fighting for her people. I alwasy supposed than in someway Massacre could had save her with his powers but alas, that never materialized.

As for this whole "Clark could just donate seed" thing....he's the last of his kind. You really think he's just going to start letting random strangers continue their genetic lines with his DNA? No, he's a tad more protective of his own heritage than that, and more than a little concerned about how a royal family with his powers could affect the galactic status quo.
    That is the best angle to use in the character? Is interesting but what more we could add to the character? How to deal with the need of a heir? Why it must be Superman tha canditate to mate with her? I think there could be a new reinvention on Maxima. In the new 52 universe maybe Maxima will have a new chance to shine.
    Last edited by Thor-Ul; 05-26-2014 at 11:44 PM.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
    I had no interest in Maxima until you said that.

To be honest, it would have been more fun if Superman was single. The last thing I want to see is Diana and her fight over him.
    I agree. I'd like to read an epic conflict story about Superman and Maxima, not only involving Maxima ordering her armies to invade earth (or something along those lines) but also her seducing Clark (possibly in an attempt to conceive an heir, as some others on this thread have suggested) ... obviously his current relationship with Diana could be a hurdle but it need not be a hindrance.

For example, if my understanding is correct, there remains a Five Year Gap in the continuity (between JL: Origin, AC: Men of Steel and Present Day events) therefore, such a story involving Superman and Maxima could be set some time during that five year gap ... we'd get an awesome story with plenty of conflict, suspense, seduction, etc which doesn't necessarily disrupt the flow of present day time and events.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    That makes sound Maxima like a female Namor. Female Namor from space. Interesting.

Sadly after Extreme Justice she went on her old customs again and after a new rejection from a (then married) electro Superman she started to search revenge and all that charm was lost. She still have potential to become something more than a obsessed scorned woman.

It was just implied but never confirmed indeed. That was his last hurrah, she was a queen fighting for her people. I alwasy supposed than in someway Massacre could had save her with his powers but alas, that never materialized.

That is the best angle to use in the character? Is interesting but what more we could add to the character? How to deal with the need of a heir? Why it must be Superman tha canditate to mate with her? I think there could be a new reinvention on Maxima. In the new 52 universe maybe Maxima will have a new chance to shine.
    Its true that she did end up on the Superman Revenge Squad in the, what, mid to late 90's? At that point Morrison was doing his Big Seven JLA and the Superman books were nosediving hard, and Maxima's return to idiocy was just one more example of bad editing and bad writing. But if memory serves, that didnt last long and she left for Almerac.

I too hoped to see her and Massacre return after OW@W. Massacre could travel at light speed or somesuch (did he actually turn into energy when he traveled? Its been a long time) and I had always hoped we'd see them both back. Shame it didnt come to pass.

As for the heir thing, I always thought Maxima's determination would have made more sense if Almerac had been failing. If her empire was suffering and facing hard times, and unlikely to get through them anytime soon, the need for a powerful and competent heir to see the empire survives becomes a much more pressing issue than if everything was running smoothly. But really, she's a spoiled queen who doesnt want to accept anything less than the absolute best. So being denied by Clark hurts her on a lot of levels.

If it were me, and if I were to re-introduce her, I'd introduce her as the Queen of a galactic Empire on the decline; Ancient Rome in space so to speak. And she wouldn't be a villain or a hero. She has her own responsibilities and desires and plans, and sometimes those would make her an ally of earth, sometimes not. I would like to see her eventually join the League again. DC needs as many powerful, strong female heroes as it can get and Maxima, after she realizes Clark's not going to help her ensure her empire's future, fits the bill. But putting her on that level where you never know what side she'll take? That's a lot of fun.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Its true that she did end up on the Superman Revenge Squad in the, what, mid to late 90's? At that point Morrison was doing his Big Seven JLA and the Superman books were nosediving hard, and Maxima's return to idiocy was just one more example of bad editing and bad writing. But if memory serves, that didnt last long and she left for Almerac.

I too hoped to see her and Massacre return after OW@W. Massacre could travel at light speed or somesuch (did he actually turn into energy when he traveled? Its been a long time) and I had always hoped we'd see them both back. Shame it didnt come to pass.

As for the heir thing, I always thought Maxima's determination would have made more sense if Almerac had been failing. If her empire was suffering and facing hard times, and unlikely to get through them anytime soon, the need for a powerful and competent heir to see the empire survives becomes a much more pressing issue than if everything was running smoothly. But really, she's a spoiled queen who doesnt want to accept anything less than the absolute best. So being denied by Clark hurts her on a lot of levels.

If it were me, and if I were to re-introduce her, I'd introduce her as the Queen of a galactic Empire on the decline; Ancient Rome in space so to speak. And she wouldn't be a villain or a hero. She has her own responsibilities and desires and plans, and sometimes those would make her an ally of earth, sometimes not. I would like to see her eventually join the League again. DC needs as many powerful, strong female heroes as it can get and Maxima, after she realizes Clark's not going to help her ensure her empire's future, fits the bill. But putting her on that level where you never know what side she'll take? That's a lot of fun.
    I agree with every word of this. Especially the bolded.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Yeah, something like that.
    I personnally would make it so that the reason she wants to have the strongest mate possible is that her empire is so Ancient Rome like decadent that the heir of her empire is going to be the target of countless assassinations attempts, and so she has to make sure the kid is as tough as possible so he would survive and inherit her empire. Give it a very pragmatic mindset behind it, that would clash with Superman's (and the reader's) more "romantic" concept of love and romance.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.