Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Seems like this thread quickly became about problems people see that they feel have yet to be fixed. It was an interesting opening question/topic, so I hope other people have ideas on already-fixed problems.

I'm not sure if people would consider this fixed or not fixed - or even a problem - but I would like to see an exploration in-story of the personality/philosophical changes that happened from Ditko-Spidey to Romita-Spidey. Has this ever been directly addressed? I've given a lot of thought to what I might do if I was ever living in a dream world where I got to write Spidey long-term, and this is something I've considered tackling.

Similarly, I'd love to write about how Peter Parker isn't actually all that responsible, despite appearances.

-Pav, who would utilize Flash-Venom a heck of a lot for that...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    Agreed and, for the reasons you stated, I think this was one of the biggest fumbles on Marvel's part. By bringing him back immediately when OMD moved into BND with no explanation, it gave the illusion that it was part of a new world crafted by Mephisto. Worse, he hung around for most of the first year or so before they got around to telling the story of his resurrection which was as ham-fisted as any ever told in Spidey's history; add to that Peter's simply implausible reaction to his supposed best friend showing up after being "dead" for years and this was one of the biggest missteps in recent years. Worse, they did little with Harry outside of "American Son" and one really great scene at the end of "Origins of the Species" before writing him out of the book again. Bah.
    Yep. And in a way the same could be said for the relationships since BND started. We had him "macking" on some girl at the very start, strongly suggesting that he was going to be firmly back in the game and dating people. While its technically true he was back in the game, every relationship since the beginning of OMD has sucked. We had a few stops and starts, a few suggestions, teases with MJ, a non-relationship with Michelle, teases with Nora, some "I don't know what" with the black cat, then something with Carlie that never quite paid off, and then Peter died. It took Doc Ock to finally bring an good romantic love interest into the books - Anna Marconi. Writing it all down like that makes it seem alot complex and interesting than it actually was at the time.

They actually made it better by taking Harry back out of the books. For the romance stuff - it took a while but Anna managed to redeem a whole lot of blah.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

There does seem to be variations to what happens if you change history, and even who you are if you pick up Thor's hammer. In the BND case, it has no change to history except to the Spiderverse, nothing else changes. In the Thor hammer case, Cap and Superman don't change into Thor, but Thor girl does. What's going on?

If we want to resolve issues, we would like to know if there are rules or no rules? We saw Logan change history by eliminating Pym, and the world turned to an Apocalype. Butterfly wings. We saw Peters marriage to MJ never happened, and nothing changes? Really?
    Last edited by jackolover; 04-27-2015 at 06:14 PM.

BANNED

I'm hoping Secret Wars ends up erasing Sins Past. I want Gwen back to being a good girlfriend for Peter. (Maybe bring her back too??????)

OMD can stay if they erase Sins Past. I don't like MJ anymore anyways

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I'm hoping Secret Wars ends up erasing Sins Past. I want Gwen back to being a good girlfriend for Peter. (Maybe bring her back too??????)

OMD can stay if they erase Sins Past. I don't like MJ anymore anyways
    What happened that changed your view?

Why is it that people keep complaining about a story that was written, was it a good idea for Gwen to sleep with Norman, i think yes and here's why
    until after the event has it been confirmed that she knew he was amoral or is it possible that she thought he had changed - yes its possible
    Could her feelings for peter have been conflicted absoulutely especially since he had just hit her father and couldnt tell her about because he was lying to her about being spider-man why because he was trying to save her and protect her so gwen sleeps with norman and then finds out shortly after what kind of guy he is so she confronts him and tells him point blank that he isnt getting her babies and see MJ and asks MJ to keep her secret because it would destroy peter and mj agrees why because they were protecting peter, why did mary jane not tell the truth because she knew that Gwen was Peter's first love and she wanted to keep her promise to her friend but when it came to protect those kids she broke that promise as it was a matter of life and death. I dont get how people can say that its fine for peter to lie to gwen but she can't do the same its for the same reason, and yes the orginal comics conflict but its acutally a retcon how many retcons have happened without conflictions.
    Another thing the whole aging thing which is killing the kids wouldnt have worked if Peter was the dad it had to be Norman or Harry and at the time they were placing it Harry wasn't of any use because of his drugs thing.
    Truth is the best policy

I addressed all this in that last conversation. You can disagree, but you continue to outright disregard that answers have been given to these questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    I addressed all this in that last conversation. You can disagree, but you continue to outright disregard that answers have been given to these questions.
    I'm not outright disregard anything i'm asking if you hate the story so much why is it every time someone mentions problems OMD and Sins Past get mentioned even if it doesnt answer the thread, this thread mentions problems that got fixed an example would be the end of superior or if they had acutally brought the marriage back or if you didnt like the marriage then support for OMD but it wasnt a thread to complain about all the stories you hate. Granted i shouldnt have explained but really its all there and fyi i said i didnt get the reason not that one hadnt been given.
    Truth is the best policy

Quote Originally Posted by VolcanikTiger86 View Post
    why is it every time someone mentions problems OMD and Sins Past get mentioned even if it doesnt answer the thread,
    That's the nature of conversations. What do you want me to tell you? People have strong feelings about those stories.

That's the nature of conversations. What do you want me to tell you? People have strong feelings about those stories.
    Thats ok for coming into a thread and posting the opposite of what the thread is.
    Right because thats the nature of conversation someone asks you a question you answer a complete different one. Ok thanks for the tip.
    Truth is the best policy

Thats ok for coming into a thread and posting the opposite of what the thread is.
    Right because thats the nature of conversation someone asks you a question you answer a complete different one. Ok thanks for the tip.
    sometimes it's completely justified and natural, but i have to admit my lip curls when i see the same people attempt to twist every topic into being about their own personal favourite whinge. on the one hand it shows a disinclination for variety, on the other it's plain weird and obsessive.

i can almost feel them crouching...waiting for the perfect moment...that opening...c'mon...give it...give it...

TRight because thats the nature of conversation someone asks you a question you answer a complete different one. Ok thanks for the tip.
    Have you met people?

And it's not a completely different one. It's related, even if it's not an answer to the question at hand.

Have you met people?

And it's not a completely different one. It's related, even if it's not an answer to the question at hand.
    Related how, the question was quite simple spider-man problems (which is debateable but i digress) that got fixed. Regardless of wither or not you believe them to be problems Sins Past hasnt been addressed since BND and neither has OMD so they havent been fixed so its not relevant to the board.
    Truth is the best policy

A problem that got fixed:
    -Harry being resurrected only to be removed from the book 3 years later.

No one was really demanding for Harry to come back, and he only gave 2 good stories in his return. The fact that outside of 697 of his last appearance he hasn't been in the book for over 5 years really.

Thought of another example: Tombstone.

He was the big bad of Gerry Conway's 1990s run, but he then just became a generic crime boss, popping up whenever a street level superhero needed a punching bag. He became a relatively disposable member of the rogue's gallery. An additional problem was that he hadn't been in any truly great comics (except as a henchman in two issues of Brubaker's Daredevil.)

That changed with Superior Foes of Spider-Man. It was an excellent comic in Spider-Man's world, and he was simultaneously intimidating and hilarious. I suspect it will inform his appearances in the future.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets