Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member JoeWithoutFear's Avatar

Default You Keep Meaning to Check 'em Out, but...

I'm curious what Marvel hero or team you've been meaning to check out foreva-eva but, for whatever reason, just haven't yet.

For me, I've been telling myself for about 10 years that I'm totally gonna start reading Fantastic Four books, but, it's just never happened. I've come close over the last 3 or 4 years, but, every time I almost jump in it seems like there is some big upheaval in the franchise that makes me keep my distance. Lately, since the book is apparently being full cancelled indefinitely, I'm certainly not gonna jump in now =P But, hopefully it comes back after Secret Wars and maybe that would be a good starting point.

The other one for me is Silver Surfer. I had a few of his books in the 90s but, I only acquired them when a friend was getting rid of his whole stash. I think the character seems super cool but I've just never committed to buying the books. I thought about jumping on board with the most recent Silver Surfer #1, but, this whole thing with that tag-along sidekick there is just...... like.... wut??! Really, really not what I would hope to get from a book/character of that kind.

Sooooooooooo, do any of you have similar experiences with characters/teams/books that you've wanted to check out for years but just never have??
    Me: "Wanna be Hawkeye and Hawkeye next Halloween?"
    My wife: "Only if I get to be Clint."

BANNED

Daredevil, but it's keeps getting creative teams I abhor.

Incredible Member JoeWithoutFear's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel_Is View Post
    Daredevil, but it's keeps getting creative teams I abhor.
    I thought Waid did great up until a few issues ago. What other teams didn't you like?
    Me: "Wanna be Hawkeye and Hawkeye next Halloween?"
    My wife: "Only if I get to be Clint."

Dr. Strange: I'll get around to it someday, but there's so many other things to read.

X-Men: I always thought the concept was silly, and never cared for minority issues being done through metaphor rather than just tackling them head-on, but I like some x-characters (Polaris, Monet, Bobby Drake), so I've read Ultimate X-Men and plan to get in to the main X-books one of these days, but there's so many characters and so many of them are so boring to me that I'll probably keep putting it off.

Iron Man: I've liked him okay in the Avengers, but have never gotten around to reading his solo comics.

Thor: I've only read the JMS to date, but I like his character and mythos, so I'll try to read through the classic stuff this summer.

BANNED

Heros for Hire and Midnight Sons. Also Deadpool

Used to be Moon Knight but I finally read some. So now it's Daredevil. Just never quite got around to reading more than a few issues. The TV show has reminded me that I really should check him out on the page. Both hover a little too close to the anti-hero line for my taste but each have their reason to stay this side of the line. You will never catch me reading Punisher for example.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Never had this problem with Marvel titles, (I'm a Marvel Zombie) so I usually give anything a try that has gotten decent reviews. It's more a problem with titles from other companies that I've been meaning to check out (like Saga) I gave DC a try with the new 52, but nothing comic-wise really held my attention. (I do enjoy their animated programs and movies for the most part.)

I will however, drop something and never come back if it bores me, like KSD's first two Captain Marvel volumes.

I was really tempted to try Inhumans since Soule is so good. And Ant-Man 's current take sounds fun...
    but the raised prices in the past few years really hold me back from giving new Marvel series a chance.
    "A gentleman will not insult me, and no man not a gentleman can insult me."-Frederick Douglass

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JoeWithoutFear View Post
    I thought Waid did great up until a few issues ago. What other teams didn't you like?
    Particularly, Bendis, Brubaker, and Samnee.

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

Dr. Strange. I like everything I've seen, I just never really make the time to figure out where to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel_Is View Post
    Particularly, Bendis, Brubaker, and Samnee.
    Unless you're comparing it to his work on ALIAS, I'd say that Daredevil doesn't really feel like most of Bendis's other Marvel work. So if it's his runs on team books that put you off of him, I'd recommend checking out an issue or two of his run.

I'm still relatively new to comics, so I've got loads of Marvel characters/team/etc I still need to get into and have been meaning to for a long time.

Avengers, Fantastic Four, Daredevil, Hulk, Moon Knight, Captain Marvel, Iron Man, old Spidey stuff, and there's still tons of X-Men stuff I haven't read yet.
    Harley Quinn, New Suicide Squad, Grayson, Batgirl, Red Sonja, The Mighty Thor, Catwoman, Bitch Planet, Secret Six, Silk, Descender, Sabrina, Archie, JLA, DC Bombshells, Black Magick, Paper Girls, Tokyo Ghost, Vampirella, Scarlet Witch, A-Force, Extraordinary X-Men, X-Men '92, The Legend of Wonder Woman, All-New Wolverine, Power Rangers, Hellcat, Monstress, Descender

BANNED

Squadron Supreme, Nova, Hulk & X-Force. I will happily take suggestions.

Edit: It kills me how there's a divide amongst Nova fans. You can like Richard and Sam at the same time, you know?
    Last edited by Starchild; 04-26-2015 at 10:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by responsarbre View Post
    Dr. Strange. I like everything I've seen, I just never really make the time to figure out where to start.

Unless you're comparing it to his work on ALIAS, I'd say that Daredevil doesn't really feel like most of Bendis's other Marvel work. So if it's his runs on team books that put you off of him, I'd recommend checking out an issue or two of his run.
    I've got to second this. I'm not a big Bendis fan. But I'm now 3/4 of the way through his DD run and it's just awesome.

Amazing Member

Watching Daredevil on Netflix reminded me of the upcoming Iron Fist show, more so than DD himself (but only because I already love Daredevil, I particularly enjoyed Brubakers run). So, Iron Fist, I've been meaning to check out The Immortal Iron Fist (by Brubaker/Fraction/Swierczynski) and the current one by Kaare Andrews (and work myself back from there). Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

BANNED

Currently? Not much, I've got a handle on what I want on my pull list. Historically? I'd like to check out:

The original run of "Guardians of the Galaxy" comics in the '70s.

Gerber's "Howard the Duck" run.

More of the Englehart/Stern Doctor Strange era (have a few issues kicking around, want more).

Bob Layton's "Iron Man" run (again, have a few issues but feel like it's essential Marvel and Iron Man reading).

If you count them as Marvel books, I'd like to give some early Malibu superhero comics a try (with some of the same writers/artists in the books mentioned previously).