Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Captain America: Civil War speculation

So, with MCU's Civil War to launch soon I was hoping to hear some ideas and theories about the film. I have a feeling it will have some important differences from the comics. (I think Cap won't die and perhaps he'll become the director of SHIELD)

Anyways, what are your theories?

Honestly I expect it to start out similar to how the original event began with something being the last straw for the government, the SHRA being inacted, Iron Man on their side and Captain America on his own, but it will probably end with Captain America and whoever follows him going underground but still promising to be heroes when they are needed. I honestly expect him to go join the new underground SHIELD organization run by Coulson or something.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I don't see the Registration Act settled (or rather, concluded) with this movie.
    I see it following the arc of the comics, where Cap and his group have to surrender when they see the carnage that the hero vs. hero battles have caused.
    I don't know what happens with Bucky/WS. I know he should be facing up to the crimes he's committed, even if it was while brainwashed, but we'll see, I guess. I think it would be too simplistic to all of a sudden say he's a good guy now and he's joining the Avengers.
    I hope that Stark's reasons for supporting the Registration are logical and based in some real empathy for citizens, not just to give Stark Industries a new exclusive contract with the government.
    I hope that no heroes get killed (Falcon) because of the conflict. But I suspect that, well, we'll see..

I hope we do see the death of Captain America and witness Bucky don the Stars & Stripes in honor of his fallen friend. It would carry tremendous emotional weight and be an amazing ending to the Captain America trilogy... (allowing Steve Rogers to return for the Infinity Wars of course!)

Cap won't die until Infinity Wars. I don't see how Bucky can just walk onto the Avengers and lead them against Thanos. It just won't work.

Also, anyone who think Spider-Man will unmask in the film is delusional. 1) He's not established in the MCU, so why would anyone care? 2) None of his villains or supporting casts are there, and introducing them will make a crowded film even more baffling. 3) You remember that Spider-Man does OMD immediately afterwords, right?

Seriously, people keep wanting this film to do all these grand changes, when they are really poorly thought out.

I just hope we get to see Vancamp return as Sharon Carter and her having a larger role in this film. I want her and Steve to become a couple in the MCU.

Quote Originally Posted by Project Initiative Cascada View Post
    I just hope we get to see Vancamp return as Sharon Carter and her having a larger role in this film. I want her and Steve to become a couple in the MCU.
    I get the feeling her role is not gonna be that big...cause of so many characters. It's unfortunate.

(Stupid Widow stealing Sharon's spot)

we've got two trailers, teasers and 50 days for the movie and somehow this thread is as dead as it can be

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I don't see the Registration Act settled (or rather, concluded) with this movie.
    I see it following the arc of the comics, where Cap and his group have to surrender when they see the carnage that the hero vs. hero battles have caused.
    I don't know what happens with Bucky/WS. I know he should be facing up to the crimes he's committed, even if it was while brainwashed, but we'll see, I guess. I think it would be too simplistic to all of a sudden say he's a good guy now and he's joining the Avengers.
    I hope that Stark's reasons for supporting the Registration are logical and based in some real empathy for citizens, not just to give Stark Industries a new exclusive contract with the government.
    I hope that no heroes get killed (Falcon) because of the conflict. But I suspect that, well, we'll see..
    If anybody's getting killed in this mess, it looks like it'll be Rhodey/War Machine, and the latest trailer seems to imply that Bucky might have been the one to fire the killing shot. As for Tony's reasons for supporting the Sokovia Accords (as the SHRA is termed in this version), they've already been outlined; he blames himself (rightfully) for the devastation that Ultron caused and believes that if he'd had someone looking over his shoulder with the authority to pull him back if the ideas he was contemplating could put others at risk instead of helping them like he originally thought, maybe Ultron wouldn't have happened. The issue, of course, is that he projects his own potential unreliability onto anyone and everyone else with special abilities, innate or based on external equipment and demands that they also be regulated, since if he knows he can't trust himself to keep himself in check, how is he supposed to trust any of them to keep themselves in check?

It's a rational argument, to be certain, but this is in the same universe that HYDRA was revealed to have been rebuilding within S.H.I.E.L.D. for decades since S.H.I.E.L.D.'s founding and still has high-level agents within the U.S. government as revealed by Season 3 of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., so who exactly do or can you trust to hold superheroes accountable? And let's not forget that General Ross spent years hunting down Bruce Banner not because Banner was a threat to himself and others, but because he wanted the secrets of Banner's transformation for himself, to replicate the results of Banner's unwitting experimentation to create more Hulks as super-soldiers or just put Banner on a leash and sic the Hulk on anybody Ross saw fit "for national security's sake." If he's the U.S. government's point man for pushing the Sokovia Accords, I severely doubt the intentions of that same government for making superheroes "accountable."
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    If anybody's getting killed in this mess, it looks like it'll be Rhodey/War Machine, and the latest trailer seems to imply that Bucky might have been the one to fire the killing shot.
    It looks more like a kind of energy blast/beam than a regular projectile, my guess is that either Vision betrays the team, Scarlet Witch deflects a beam from the mind gem or he just has really bad aim, the beam ends up killing Rodhey, and that's why Vision leaves earth or detaches (dying in the process) the mind gem, or whatever sets up of Infinity War
    1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg
    Last edited by Lucas_xfan; 03-10-2016 at 07:06 PM.

Mighty Member

My guess is the movie goes pretty much like this (based solely on the trailers, so no spoilers here unless you've skipped those)...

After Sokovia, there's a push to "keep them in check", that is to say, to keep the Avengers under supervision. Which makes a great deal of sense, actually. The problem with S.H.I.E.L.D. was a lack of real accountability, and the Avengers are actually more authoritarian, answering only to Cap from what we can tell. But also to control other people with powers, if the prison is any indication (I'm betting it's The Raft, btw). Then there's a terrorist attack, for which Bucky is blamed. Somebody close to T'chala is wounded/killed, or maybe he just takes nearly getting blown up personally. Either way, Black Panther gets in on the search for Winter Soldier. Steve knows Bucky won't get a fair hearing, so he moves to find him first. When everyone finds Bucky, Cap stands with his friend and they escape. The Avengers splinter into factions, with each side recruiting an outside hero (Ant-Man and Spidey). The first big battle is the airport scene we see in the trailers, during which Rhodes is killed/wounded. Bucky probably takes the fall for that as well, whether he did it or not. Widow switches sides after the airport and joins Team Cap. The final battle of the war sees Tony seeming to kill Cap, royally pissing off Bucky, who very nearly kills Tony in response. But Bucky holds himself back and lets Tony live, proving that he's beyond the Winter Soldier programming. Bucky gives up (taking the role Cap had during the comic event) and goes to prison. The Avengers are disbanded, though Cap is likely still alive. And at the conclusion, it turns out the whole thing was orchestrated by Baron Zemo to undermine his greatest potential enemies. And now his plans can continue unhindered. Because the prison was really just a front, and now he is once again in possession of a re-brainwashed Winter Soldier! Hail Hydra!

Or none of that, lol. But that's more or less what I'm expecting.

Andre the Black Nerd made a video about the trailer, and he did put out an interesting point I didn't notice from the Super Bowl trailer earlier - When the 'united we stand divided we fall' montage is going, we see everyone in costume, and then with their face uncovered, back and forth. When War Machine is on-screen, we never get shown Don Cheadle's face.

Couple that with the clips we've seen, at least it seems that Jim Rhodes is going to retire, in some way, and War Machine might be piloted by someone else, or hey, even AI-driven by Tony. I don't think he'll 'die', but definitely out of commission.

Also, this bit about Civil War from another interview:

The Russo brothers have also been quotes saying, “Vision is a captivating character and he does play a critical role in Civil War. The comic fans might be able to guess what he is going to do
    Ah geez, please do not tell me Vision's going to try take over the world...

I expect The Avengers are going to tear themselves apart and the team is going to be left in tatters or disbanded by the end of the movie, leaving Zemo free to carry out his plans (whatever they are) unopposed and unaware by the heroes and the government.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_xfan View Post
    we've got two trailers, teasers and 50 days for the movie and somehow this thread is as dead as it can be
    Does that tell you something? Idk. Maybe there is a similar thread elsewhere that is larger.

THEORY!!!!

(Forgive me if this has already been discussed/addressed?)

Spidey is Iron Man's ace-in-the-hole to MANIPULATE Cap into submission.

No WAY is Mister Registration Stark going to be in favor of a TEENAGER doing the hero thing. No matter how much said teenager admires and adores Tony Stark or big a bond they have over their love of science. NOPE.

I think Tony is USING Spidey to throw it in Steve's face -- and Spidey won't take kindly to being a pawn and he'll switch sides eventually.