Amazing Member

Default Ends of the Earth Underrated?

Was I the only one that thought that Ends of the Earth was a legitimately great event? Everywhere I look it gets no love, but I think it re-established a lot of the themes of not only Spiderman but really Peter Parker as a science geek and all around great person/hero who did things even the Avengers couldn't. Aside from Spider-Verse, it's my favorite Slott story to date. You have his whole scientific mind working out a way to take out everyone of the Sinister Six, you get a great new suit, Doc Oc taking his place as a legitimate supervillain, and a genuinely satisfying story that would lead to Superior Spiderman. However I always slightly felt like there was no way you could ever write Spiderman fighting the Sinister Six again because he literally made a suit designed to target each and every one of their weakness's, so why would they be a threat?

I thought it was an enjoyable storyline. I'm not entirely sure what reputation it has. It has been overshadowed by Spider Island and Dying Wish, but those are better stories, even if this was too.

It might be held to a high standard because of high expectations for a story that pays off year of set-up with Spider-Man and the Avengers fighting the Sinister Six, and the deaths of two long-standing characters.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Amazing Member

I just liked it a lot more than Spider Island but I usually see it with negative reviews/connotation online. I thought it just established a different level of Spiderman as a hero who wasn't just reacting to threats but had actively solved the threats which I liked a lot.

It got super-hyped and was average, so it just became a let-down.
    Also the stories leading up to Ends of the Earth and No Turning Back were much more enjoyable by all accounts.

It was a good story.

Felt too grand for a Spider-Man story though.

Astonishing Member

Ends of the Earth had a good beginning; an interesting climax, but a lackluster conclusion, just like most of Slott's big Spider-Man story arc involving Peter Parker.

I didn't love it personally; my problems with it is that was just too big and noisy for me, it still had Ock in his withered body state which just didn't work for me (though I understand Slott was setting up Superior), it had the Avengers as guests again and it overall just seemed to not live up the hype. The big takeaway was that both Silver Sable and Rhino (apparently) died but we all know that is a temporary condition until they are needed again so I guess what I am saying is that while I wouldn't call the story bad nor pointless, I didn't find it particularly essential nor satisfying.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    I didn't love it personally; my problems with it is that was just too big and noisy for me, it still had Ock in his withered body state which just didn't work for me (though I understand Slott was setting up Superior), it had the Avengers as guests again and it overall just seemed to not live up the hype. The big takeaway was that both Silver Sable and Rhino (apparently) died but we all know that is a temporary condition until they are needed again so I guess what I am saying is that while I wouldn't call the story bad nor pointless, I didn't find it particularly essential nor satisfying.
    I'm agreed on all counts. If someone wants a Spider-Man story that involves international intrigue, I'd recommend Assassin Nation Plot. It's a fun, brisk read that never pretends to be anything more than that, and Spidey's role is much more believable.

I felt it was all sturm and drang with little substance. Seemed like an obvious "put the pieces in place" move for a larger story that was to be (as it turned out) "Dying Wish."

Honestly Spider-Island really felt like filler to me. Apologies to Slott, because I like alot of what he writes, but I would rate that story as fairly insignificant and low on the Slott Scale.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.