Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default May not come back after Convergence...

Between going back to the Morrison era "suit" and power levels (or less) and Lois basically throwing Clark under the bus, I may be walking away from the Superman titles when they come back. First, let me preface this by saying I gave the New 52 a fair chance when it came out and followed it fairly well. I felt it was a back to basics take on the character he probably needed. I didn't pick up every issue, but if there was a storyline I liked, I would follow it. That doesn't look like that will be the case when the main titles return in June. The whole point of a reboot is to tell new stories and take the character in directions they haven't gone in before. So far, New 52, for the most part, hasn't really done that IMO. When the original Crisis happened, Byrne and company at least tried to do something different with him that hadn't really been done before. I'm not really seeing that here. Aside from his relationship with WW, they seem to just be treading water.

Now, I know that no fan is going to agree with every storyline a character gets put through, but there is a bad story idea and then there is Brand New Day type stunts. This strikes me as the latter. Outing Superman's identity can only be fixed by a Deus Ex Machina gimmick. We already had that with Smallville. As I said in another post, I generally follow the out of continuity books because I've been disappointed in the past with the constant origin reboots Superman went through and the convoluted problems that creates. So the main books are based on whether or not I like a particular storyline. This particular one could be a couple months to a year to a few years. This also has a lot to do with the versions being brought back by Convergence. As you can tell by my avatar, I'm kind of a pre-Crisis Superman fan. Having him back for a couple months reminds me what I liked about the character and that this isn't that. I've never been a big fan of reboots to begin with. There were a lot of things I didn't like about the post-Crisis Superman. But I think they truly tried to do something new with him. Including letting him get married. New 52 was a step backwards but I thought it was a clever step backwards. Incorporating elements from all the different versions. So here they are going backward again and I'm not really seeing why.

This is disappointing, I love Superman and want to keep following him. But it's frustrating when it doesn't look like they know what to do with him and are just going over the same ground again and again. Perhaps this is also why I like the Earth One Superman. It's also a step backward but they aren't afraid to go in a new direction with some of the characters. Comics in general aren't doing well these days. I understand that new ideas are harder and harder to come by. But this isn't that. Maybe I'll be back. Maybe I'll like where this story goes, who knows. But what little of it I've seen, I don't think that's the case. Every fan has to decide for themselves what their deal breaker is. I don't consider myself terribly nostalgic. I'm not some old fogey whining that things aren't the way they were when I was younger, I just want the character to move forward with good stories.

I'm curious what other people think. Do you agree with what DC is planning to do when they come back in June? If yes, why? If not, why? What would you like to see?

BANNED

As I mentioned in a recent thread I started, there are fresh ideas and takes on the DCU from other media that could have been really great in the new continuity. For example, instead of getting rid of Lois and Clark completely, how about adding to the love triangle with a new person, and make that person Bruce Wayne. There would have been a lot of mileage for that idea in the New 52.

We've seen a "let's throw stuff on the wall and see what sticks" since the introduction of H'el. Have Superman kill Dr. Light, have Superman get a new power and now, have him lose his powers and secret ID. We haven't read the stories yet, but it just seems that DC is stuck (as is Marvel, to fair) in a constant cycle of stunt-narrative and change for the sake of change.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 04-27-2015 at 11:19 AM.

BANNED

It's new ideas, I don't see it as a gimmick as death of superman was with its 566778 covers.

It's moving forward with no Id or real costume, it's still a progression or change.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Well. if you've read my posts over the last few days, I am sorta in your shoes. However, after I've simmered down a bit and read the interview that was done with Gene Yang (Superman's new writer) , I will give the storyline a chance, as it seems this plot wasn't born from some corporate or editorial mandate as I originally feared. I wish we got some more stories in the tone and the "done in one" feel of ACTION #40 and SUPERMAN #39 for a few months before upsetting the apple cart yet again, and I'm highly suspicious of DC's motives regarding Lois Lane and the "power couple"... but I have enough faith in Greg Pak and Aaron Kuder to see where this goes. Time will tell.

BANNED

I'm curious what other people think. Do you agree with what DC is planning to do when they come back in June? If yes, why? If not, why? What would you like to see?
    no. because it looks like a stunt that will be undone quickly. like the spider-man unmasking that was a big WOW on civil war and was retconned after it. I also no fan of lois revealing the secret.

anything else you can wait for the trade

I fall into the same category as manofsteel1979. I'll hold final judgement until I've read it. Though for the first time, I'd be willing to walk away from the Superman line if I'm not satisfied with the story. I've enjoyed Action Comics in the Nu52. Superman was certainly pretty weak, but I found stuff there I enjoyed. Even if what I enjoyed was strictly in concept and not execution. Even Batman/Superman really hit its stride recently. Though there are some drastic changes coming. I don't know how long it will last. Big change tends to be temporary in comics. Though the big changes they make may be to my taste. So I have no problem walking away from Superman comics if I no longer enjoy them. The thought of that does make me a little sad though, as I've been reading Superman for over 25 years.

So in a worst case scenario kind of situation, I'll just stop reading and enjoy plenty of other Superman stories. If it turns out to be a good story, then I'll stick with it. My initial reaction isn't a positive one, but I'll wait to read it until I decide for good.

After reading some interesting fan theories, my biggest concern with "Truth" is also how does it get fixed? Will it be a permanent change? I don't think I'd like that to happen. I also don't want another quick fix by a 5th dimensional imp, Mephisto, flying at superspeed to turn back the clock, dream/fantasy story, or other corny deus ex machina solutions. Maybe this will be an alternate universe. I don't know. If the solution turns out good, I will be very impressed, but if it's no good, I won't be terribly surprised, either.

I think tuning out a book that no longer interests you in the only rational response to a book that no longer interests you. IMO, completionism is totally overrated. Collectors hate having holes in their collection, and they also dislike the idea of having to turn their back on a long-time hobby, but I think boycotting a line you currently dislike is a helluva lot better than continually reading a book you hate just to comment on a message board that the book sucks. Also, if Batman v. Superman turns out to be a pile of doo doo, I'll be with you in the boycott line.

BANNED

I hear you and agree with just about all said.

I just read the 40th issue Superman preview. And.. I can say my hope is fully lost.

Again, just harping and hammering the "Im human" thing over and over... and getting drunk too... what the...? Its just old. Its just harping on gimmicks and old themes.

I say we dont know if Lois revealed the secret, but theres probably a 90 percent chance she did. Judging by the preview, and theme theyre trying to pull. I wasn't quick to shrug off, but reading the preview just kind of put the nail in the coffin.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Eh just enjoy the stories and read what you want. I've been reading SUPERMAN comic books long enough to know that nothing lasts forever. I just enjoy the ride.

BANNED

I decided a while back that my last issues would be those before Convergence. I'm glad I made that decision.

If DC was going to use Divergence to make Earth-0 radically different from the pre-Flashpoint status quo in the way that it wasn't post-Flashpoint, and was going to also bring back the classic Superman on a regular basis (on the world of Earth-2 Society or another Earth) I'd be a lot less frustrated with these developments. After all, these ideas would have a greater purpose in that they would be using the idea of a reboot to truly explore new ideas with Superman, while keeping the classic Superman and his recognizable world intact.

Is this what DC's doing? I highly doubt it. TPTB (not just DiDio, but also DCE/WB) don't have that much faith in characters that aren't Batman or that much foresight or vision. I think that's evident in a lot of ways. They simply don't get or perhaps don't even like Superman. Which is fine, of course, but not so fine if you're in control of the character's legacy.

I decided months ago that the Convergence Superman tie-ins and the main series would be my last new DC comics for the foreseeable future, and unless we see new titles announced with pre-Flashpoint (or pre-COIE) iterations of the characters in starring roles, I'm done. I'm beginning the process of organizing 20+ years of Superman comics so that I can catalog them and then begin filling in the collection from post-MOS forward. I'm looking forward to reading the stuff I never had a chance to back then and will feel a lot better about spending my money on DC comics from the past.

Like Mike Bailey, I believe the only way things will improve is through a regime change, and when/if that happens and the new regime is better than the last, I will return.

BANNED

Like Xon_Ur above, I was already pretty much done after Convergence anyway. This was before we knew Johns was leaving and Romita Jr was sticking around.

I read part of issue #40 today and couldn't finish it. That hasn't happened with a Superman comic for me, ever.

The major turnoff for me is that Superman is being depicted as a guy who *never* knew what it was like to feel human. Really? Guess I missed those Super-baby issues in the New 52 or perhaps the part in the first issues of AC where Kal-El arrived on Earth a fully-grown adult.

I'm out until things get better. There's always my back issues and I really like the Earth-1 stuff, so hopefully that will keep going.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 04-29-2015 at 11:28 PM. Reason: rude