Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Usagi Yojimbo

^Man, I'm buying the floppy and the hardcover!

Is Usagi switching from ongoing to miniseries format?!

https://www.cbr.com/dark-horse-comic...solicitations/

Starting in March, "Usagi Yojimbo: The Hidden" Part 1 of 7. Nothing different from the main series, as it's still just Stan writing and drawing. I think this probably says more about the floppy market than anything, as the eventual trade will be titled "The Hidden" just as every other trade is titled something or other, and since a lot of folks read Usagi exclusively in the collected format many fans probably won't notice anything different.

--- edit ---

Oh, hell - I wonder if it could be like how Hellboy used to be: the cover and solicitation would just mention the story name and the numbering would be there, but only on the inside cover?
    Last edited by Angilasman; 12-14-2017 at 07:58 PM.

Brought this up on the Usagi Dojo board: yup, it's a marketing decision, and nothing will essential change on Stan's end.

What is interesting is that the numbering will continue in the inside, but will now include two numbers: the Dark Horse numbering and the total numbering, which includes the Fantgraphics and Mirage issues!

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

'rightfully so: these are impressive numbers. Especially including Space Usagi and old-Usagi (Senso), this is a narrative to rival Sim's.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    Brought this up on the Usagi Dojo board: yup, it's a marketing decision, and nothing will essential change on Stan's end.

What is interesting is that the numbering will continue in the inside, but will now include two numbers: the Dark Horse numbering and the total numbering, which includes the Fantgraphics and Mirage issues!

That's good to hear. I'm always looking forward to more Usagi. It feels like Groo has been operating around this idea for a long time. The numbering thing is a great idea.

Usagi's appearance in the recent TMNT cartoon and toyline was pretty cool, huh?

Know what's cooler?

Usagi Yojimbo animated series!

https://www.darkhorse.com/Blog/2645/...omic-book-seri

Usagi Yojimbo: The Hidden #1 is out.

Tell your family, tell your friends!

Dark Horse is putting out a complete Usagi/TMNT team-up book this fall. It'll include the earliest short stories, the 'Shades of Green' storyline, as well as the recent IDW one-shot.

The series is moving to IDW.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

And it'll now be color! The crazy thing is that the new collections of the back catalog to be put out by IDW will also be in color!

On a certain level I'll miss the black and white, but I'm fine with color. Tom Luth has colored practically every cover in the series as well as the odd color special so it's not like his work hasn't been a part of the package since its earliest days. It's all good. I'm glad the series will be on a consistent schedule again. I hope this means more opportunities to expand the book's readership and get more merchandise and all that good stuff.

I wonder what's going on with Dark Horse? I mean, sure, they lost a lot of their most prominent licensed material for corporate reasons beyond their control (like Disney buying Lucasfilm and Fox) but we've also had the exit of long-running creator owneds like The Goon and now Usagi. If Hellboy leaves my jaw will really hit the floor!

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

I'm sorry Usagi's leaving Dark Horse-- it's become one of the few DH titles I'm still following. And, too, I'm sorry it's going to color, as it's nearly the last of already far too few b&w titles, and I do love black and white. Have to agree with Angilasman: "we've also had the exit of long-running creator owneds like The Goon and now Usagi. If Hellboy leaves my jaw will really hit the floor! "
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

I’m also curious what’s going on with Dark Horse.

Stan clarified that the series will be monthly for at least the first seven issues before settling into the usual 9-10 a year.

Also, he's doing the art as if it would be presented in black and white instead of leaving out detail to be compensated with color (which he used to do). He did the same for the recent TMNT/Usagi crossover and was pleased with how it looked.

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    And it'll now be color! The crazy thing is that the new collections of the back catalog to be put out by IDW will also be in color!

On a certain level I'll miss the black and white, but I'm fine with color. Tom Luth has colored practically every cover in the series as well as the odd color special so it's not like his work hasn't been a part of the package since its earliest days. It's all good. I'm glad the series will be on a consistent schedule again. I hope this means more opportunities to expand the book's readership and get more merchandise and all that good stuff.

I wonder what's going on with Dark Horse? I mean, sure, they lost a lot of their most prominent licensed material for corporate reasons beyond their control (like Disney buying Lucasfilm and Fox) but we've also had the exit of long-running creator owneds like The Goon and now Usagi. If Hellboy leaves my jaw will really hit the floor!
    Disney buying Fox has nothing to do with them losing Buffy. They haven't lost anything yet because of that, though both Alien and Avatar are Fox properties. Fox actually owns a stake in Boom Studios, which probably explains what happened with Buffy.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 02-24-2019 at 01:20 PM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

More collections of usagi for me to buy...dang