Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Usagi Yojimbo

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Disney buying Fox has nothing to do with them losing Buffy. They haven't lost anything yet because of that, though both Alien and Avatar are Fox properties. Fox actually owns a stake in Boom Studios, which probably explains what happened with Buffy.
    Ah. Thanks!

Huh, according to Stan DH and Fanta will reserve the right to continue putting out the black and white collections of Usagi material they published!

Guess this means the colorized IDW books will be like an entirely new reprint series.

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    Huh, according to Stan DH and Fanta will reserve the right to continue putting out the black and white collections of Usagi material they published!

Guess this means the colorized IDW books will be like an entirely new reprint series.

I assume you're on over at Stan's Usagi forums as well. The way i took everything is that Fantagraphics and DH can still publish their material in B&W (so we could get a Saga Vol. 9 from DH.) But IDW is reprinting everything in color starting with the Fantagraphics material. And the new series will be in color also.

^ Yeah, that's what I'm taking from it. Sorta similar to the way Jeff Smith's Bone is available.

Stan also said that Tom Luth might not being doing the color reprints. I hope they get someone to stay close to his style then. They haven't worked out any of the formatting for the color reprints either.

To anyone who has bought the Big Usagi Fanrahrpahics book, is there anything there that wasn't collected in the smaller trades?
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    To anyone who has bought the Big Usagi Fanrahrpahics book, is there anything there that wasn't collected in the smaller trades?
    ^ I'm not sure if all of those little TMNT / Usagi crossover shorts that are in the two volume slipcover are included in the individual volumes. Otherwise, it's the same material originally published in volumes 1 through 7.

Of course, the Usagi / TMNT collection Darkhorse just put out has everything they've ever appeared in together, so if you need to fill that hole in your collection it's pretty easy to do so.

Astonishing Member

Does anyone know where i can read any further, after i read the Fantagraphics collection?

^ After reading the Fantagraphics collection go directly into The Saga Editions published by Dark Horse. The Fanta collection collects what were originally volumes 1 through 7, the first Saga Edition collects what were originally volumes 8, 9 and 10. Keep going with the Saga Editions as they will eventually encompass everything published so far.

There's also two associated volumes to the Saga Editions published in the same format: Usagi Yojimbo: Legends collects the out-of-continuity stories and Usagi Yojimbo/Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Complete Collection collects all the Usagi/TMNT team ups.

Astonishing Member

Wow, thanks for the fast reply.

Now, i have some catching up to do...

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    Wow, thanks for the fast reply.

Now, i have some catching up to do...
    Yes you do. Its a fun ride. Usagi holds up to multiple readings. I'm on my third reread now.

The new issue #1 comes out next week.

Stuff coming in the next few months:

IDW is putting out a complete Grasscutter hardcover. It's in artist edition style but not oversized. Dark Horse is putting out a complete covers book.

I ordered a copy of the new Usagi Yojimbo #1 that came out this week. Never read any Usagi Yojimbo before. It looks pretty good and can't wait to read it.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Welcome back! What a joy to have Usagi back in my monthly life. And trust Tom Luth to make the transition to color comics easy: he really understands Usagi. I always welcome the weaving of Japanese tradition and customs and way of life in antiquity into these stories. I feel I’ve learned a lot through the years; a tea ceremony, how soy sauce is blended, samurai-era history… puppet shows. I should keep this issue with my all-time favorite issue of Groo, his puppet-show issue.

Usagi’s character, surprisingly, seemed a little erratic to me this first issue-- he seems oddly angry, leaving the puppet-master. I wished that while noting which UY “Nukekubi” appeared, there was footnote as to what one is. On the other hand, I toddled over to Wikipedia, which reads, “appear to be normal human beings. But by night, their heads detach from their neck smoothly from their bodies and they fly about in search of human prey. These heads attack by screaming to increase fright , then closing in swiftly and biting their victims.”

Hey, hooray, Usagi’s back in our lives, and (gotta kid ‘bout it) with yet another number 1! I’d love to see an additional number, adding all issues to date—with all the foofaraw of one or two others closing in on that Cerebus-300-issues mark, UY's well on the way, too.
    Thanks due, as always, for wonderful stories, exemplary characters, and beautiful art.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

^ There's an overall issue number listed on the inside front cover.