Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast

Thread: Usagi Yojimbo

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
    They had me up until I read that this was going to be set in a more modern setting starring a teenager. I wanted to watch a cartoon about Miyamoto Usagi, not some teenage descendant. Even Space Usagi would've been more preferable than what it sounds like this is .

I guess this makes the property more "palatbale" for kids but it just isn't what I was hoping for from a cartoon adaption of the property. I guess I can just hope that the action, characters, and story developments are up to par with the comic.

It sounds like they're going to have equivalents of the main Usagi cast:

Roguish Bount Hunter - Gen

Cunning Ninja - Chizu

Acrobatic pickpocket - Kitsune

I wouldn't be surprised if Jei survived to this time and wants to hunt down Usagi's descendant.

Yeah, not really enthused about the particulars of this adaptation, but I am super happy that after all these years Stan Sakai has got that development deal. I hope the it's a huge success for him!

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    Yeah, not really enthused about the particulars of this adaptation, but I am super happy that after all these years Stan Sakai has got that development deal. I hope the it's a huge success for him!
    Yeah, if Stan's happy with it, that's great. Maybe it'll be successful enough to warrant a more true-to-the-text Usagi cartoon .

^ I can't think of anyone in the comic industry that deserves enormous success more than Stan Sakai.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

I am surely in the camp of "Why couldn't they just use 'our' (heh...'the Real') Usagi?" but also in full agreement that Stan deserves all the greater success, and that if Stan's happy with it, I'll likely be, too.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

^ Worst possible scenario: the show comes and goes and Stan gets a big paycheck and, heck, the series isn't even called "Usagi Yojimbo," so it's unlikely negative brand association for the comic happens.

Best case scenario: show is a success (and, fingers crossed, is good!) and that opens up the possibilities for Stan and Usagi going forward.

.... hmmmm, I wonder when we'll get that Usagi FCBD issue that was announced? 2021?

Astonishing Member

I kind of hope that they work out a deal with Nickelodeon to have the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles guest star on the Samurai Rabbit cartoon. I mean, just to return the favor after Usagi guested in three out of four of the past TMNT cartoons.

Ah, Angilasman, wish we knew! I really was hoping to get one for me and a bunch to give away.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    I kind of hope that they work out a deal with Nickelodeon to have the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles guest star on the Samurai Rabbit cartoon. I mean, just to return the favor after Usagi guested in three out of four of the past TMNT cartoons.
    I'd like to see the crossovers go both ways, but it would be weird to see the Turtles team-up with a descendant instead of the actual Usagi.

I kind of wish they were just building off that arc in the last season of the 2K12 Turtles cartoon for this take...

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    They had me up until I read that this was going to be set in a more modern setting starring a teenager. I wanted to watch a cartoon about Miyamoto Usagi, not some teenage descendant. Even Space Usagi would've been more preferable than what it sounds like this is .

I guess this makes the property more "palatbale" for kids but it just isn't what I was hoping for from a cartoon adaption of the property. I guess I can just hope that the action, characters, and story developments are up to par with the comic.

It sounds like they're going to have equivalents of the main Usagi cast:

Roguish Bount Hunter - Gen

Cunning Ninja - Chizu

Acrobatic pickpocket - Kitsune

I wouldn't be surprised if Jei survived to this time and wants to hunt down Usagi's descendant.
    Yeah I was hyped till I read the details to. Sounds like a bunch of unnecessary changes to me.

Update from Stan; saying there's a good reason ("awesone" is his descriptor) the series isn't about the original Usagi and he can't reveal why (yet).

Ha! And hope doth return once again

^ It certainly piques my interest, but that's a pretty small crumb to extrapolate from. It could mean anything! Hopefully it means Stan is making even more money on multiple projects!

Huh, so on the Groo panel Stan Sakai gives a few more tidbits of information about this series. Apparently it's not just sit in a futuristic landscape, but rather it's a timeline that continues from the Martian invasion in the comic series Senso! The original Usagi will also appear in the series in some form. Flashbacks? Time travel? I have no idea. Apparently Stan has final approval over everything, from character designs to story, so that's cool!