Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Usagi Yojimbo

Default Usagi Yojimbo

Just a thread for discussing the awesomeness of Stan Sakai's comic about the rabbit ronin.

usagi-yojimbo-print.jpg

The comics about the Ronin Miyamoto Usagi and his travels trhoguhout Edo period Japan has struck a chord with readers all over the world

Here is a link to Stan Sakai's facebook page

A Link to the art being auctioned off as a fundraiser for Stan's family

The Usagi Yojimbo Dojo ( one of the best Usagi Fansites out there)

Usagi Yojimbo Book 1: Ronin

Usagi Yojimbo Saga Vol.1

Usagi Yojimbo Reader reviews

A video of the Usagi Yojimbo Video game

What's YOUR favourite Usagi story? I'm partial to Grasscutter for its information on feudal Japan

Do you have a favourite character? My favourite Character is Jei simply because everything we learn about him just gives more questions.
    Last edited by Gryphon; 05-19-2014 at 10:19 AM.

All-New Member

Never read a single issue, but I've always been curious. What's the best starting point, Volume 1?

I can't really think of which individual story is my favorite, but I do now that Usagi Yojimbo is indeed one of my favorite titles bar none.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by AngusH View Post
    Never read a single issue, but I've always been curious. What's the best starting point, Volume 1?
    Volume 2 is consistently regarded as a good starting point

I just finished reading the whole series about two weeks ago.

Wow. Just amazing, beautiful work. Stan Sakai is a master of the form. Rich characters, fantastic plots, detailed, yet simple line work.

Gah, just could gush all day. Grasscutter is my perhaps my favourite right now.

Anyone pick up Nilson Groundthumper? Read that too and thought it was great fun.

Quote Originally Posted by AngusH View Post
    The first volume consists of short stories where Sakai was getting a feel for the characters. The second was when he really got serious about making a series. That's probably the best place to start, but really, no matter how much continuity Stan Sakai establishes he always keeps it pretty accessible. You could conceivably start with any number of things. As long as it's not a direct sequel to a previous story (like Grascutter II or Duel at Kitanoji) you're safe.

BANNED

I agree that you could start with the most current volume and not be lost. There is continuity, but it's linear and confined to just this title (and a few short stories that pre-date the title), not an entire universe of events. I missed about 80 issues and still keep up.

But at the same time, I'm the type that likes to start from the beginning. If I remember correctly there are some character introductions in volume one that could come in handy later when they are seen again. It's just a couple hundred pages, no point in skipping if you're not just going to start with the next issue. It's true that volume one is just a series of shorts while volume two is the start of the long stories.

I'm years behind on this (only have the first eighteen or so volumes). I really need to get stuck in and catch up.

Oh, yeah. Money. *sigh*

Self-Proclaimed Genius clayholio's Avatar

My favorite Usagi book is probably "Fathers and Sons." I think it benefited from my having read Usagi over a number of years, but it would possibly stand on it's own. That volume is such a fantastic story down to the very last page.

I recently noticed that I had a stack of unread Usagi trades (once I switched from monthly to trades, there wasn't as much of pressure to keep up), so I tore through the last five trades in something like two weeks. That was a good two weeks!

Has anyone read the 47 Ronin story Stan Sakai drew? I'm only vaguely aware of the original story, but it's on my shortlist of books to pick up.
    clayholio

Ink Is My Perfume (art blog) - Clayholio Watches Movies (Movie Reviews)

Amazing Member

My only experience with Usagi is in his adventures with the turtles (big TMNT fan) but I always thought he was a cool character.. I like his interactions with Leonardo a lot.. especially the story in my copy of TMNT Shell Shock. Im looking to buy volumes 1or2 through 7 of fantagraphics Usagi so I can read his first solo series.. heard Vol. 6 is incredible. Also, Im excited for the 30yrs of Usagi art book being released in July. Speaking of which.. the Mike Mignola and Craig Thompson Usgai prints thats sold on ebay for Stan's Charity... O.M.F.G. those were so awesome.

What we do is secret Oskar Von Strange's Avatar

I haven't read a lot of Usagi. My first UY comic was the dollar reprint from a couple years ago, which I highly enjoyed and then I began reading the series on the "Takio" story(#132). I'm just patiently waiting for the "War of the Worlds" mini to roll out.

I must admit though, I used to think UY was totally lame. I wrote it off as some "kiddie" book. Boy, was I ever so wrong.

Did he ever team up with the TMNT or was that only a cartoon thing?

There was a one-shot story where the TMNT appeared in Usagi's time for a teamup.

So it looks like alot of it is out of print. Is the few kindle versions a new thing with more to follow? I'm a in order reader and don't to start something and stall out in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    There was a one-shot story where the TMNT appeared in Usagi's time for a teamup.
    Initially there were a couple of fun little stories where Leonardo would pop over into Usagi's dimension and they'd either butt heads or team-up. It wasn't clear if these were supposed to be in continuity, they were just goofy little extras. Later, those stories were made canon when Stan took a serious stab at an Usagi/TMNT crossover in a story that spanned three issues of Usagi (the first 3 issues of Usagi vol. 2).

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    So it looks like alot of it is out of print. Is the few kindle versions a new thing with more to follow? I'm a in order reader and don't to start something and stall out in the middle.
    Fantagraphics is pretty good at reprinting the first 7 volumes (which are the only ones they publish) after they go out of print for too long. Dark Horse, who publishes every other volume, have plans to collect the individual volumes into big hardcovers.
    Last edited by Angilasman; 05-02-2014 at 08:27 PM.