Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Usagi Yojimbo

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    Initially there were a couple of fun little stories where Leonardo would pop over into Usagi's dimension and they'd either butt heads or team-up. It wasn't clear if these were supposed to be in continuity, they were just goofy little extras. Later, those stories were made canon when Stan took a serious stab at an Usagi/TMNT crossover in a story that spanned three issues of Usagi (the first 3 issues of Usagi vol. 2).

Fantagraphics is pretty good at reprinting the first 7 volumes (which are the only ones they publish) after they go out of print for too long. Dark Horse, who publishes every other volume, have plans to collect the individual volumes into big hardcovers.
    Where have you heard that dark horse is reprinting the individual volumes into hardcovers? I can't find news of this anywhere.

^Nothing official, but Stan's mentioned it a couple of times in the last... two years or so?

Fantagraphics is pretty good at reprinting the first 7 volumes (which are the only ones they publish) after they go out of print for too long. Dark Horse, who publishes every other volume, have plans to collect the individual volumes into big hardcovers.
    Thanks for the info

^Nothing official, but Stan's mentioned it a couple of times in the last... two years or so?

I hope so, there's a lot of usagi stuff coming out this summer which I'm getting. I'm new to usagi but I do like to read from the beginning but a lot of the volumes are out of print and I hate to have holes in my collection. A giant omnibus hardcover would be great.

Initially there were a couple of fun little stories where Leonardo would pop over into Usagi's dimension and they'd either butt heads or team-up. It wasn't clear if these were supposed to be in continuity, they were just goofy little extras. Later, those stories were made canon when Stan took a serious stab at an Usagi/TMNT crossover in a story that spanned three issues of Usagi (the first 3 issues of Usagi vol. 2).
    That's the story I was thinking of, I forgot/didn't realise it went for that many issues (I only read it in tpb). Thanks for the correction.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

I've written so often and so long about how Usagi's my tiptop absolute favorite comic (and there's LOTS of contenders!), all now wiped out, gone, alas, with this new reiteration of CBR, that I just want to say, again, Usagi Yojimbo has been steadily, issue after issue, the single-most entertaining and consistently high-quality writing and artwork of any comic I've read in the past forty years. Cerebus is a major achievement, but all too often toward the end, not as entertaining; Lone Wolf perhaps comes closest, but rarely engaged in a lightness of spirit Usagi often evoked; Goon-- well, another few trades-worth and Goon'll be a close contender; Kane, again a bit short on production, and rarely as consistently on-time.... and so on. Usagi, yes, indeed, rules.

BANNED

I thought I heard that DH was planning a slipcase set similar to the one from Fantagraphics as well.

oh god yes please. Darkhorse's hardcover editions are terrific. I wish they get their act together and do ones for Usagi and the Goon please!

Usagi Yojimbo is one of my favorite series. The more I read it, the more I like it and admire Stan Sakai for his storytelling. Each volume is fairly accessible for new readers. Sakai is very skilled at communicating everything we need to know about the characters that Usagi encounters (e.g., Usagi has met them before, considers them friends/enemies, Gen is a bounty hunter, Kitsune is a thief, etc.). My advice is to start from the beginning so you can appreciate the world building, but you can pretty much grab a volume at random. Grasscutter is a good place to start if you want to begin with an epic-length story.

I think my favorite story is the issue with the tea ceremony. It felt like it had the gravity of a wedding ceremony, and it felt like a culmination of Usagi's and Tomoe's relationship up to that point.
    Last edited by Fatty Meats Five; 05-04-2014 at 06:34 AM.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    That's the story I was thinking of, I forgot/didn't realise it went for that many issues (I only read it in tpb). Thanks for the correction.
    There are also Usagi pop ups in TMNT features as well. 2 way street.

I have all of the trades, and really enjoy the series.

If I had to pick a favorite story arc it would be Grasscutter.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Winslow View Post
    I have all of the trades, and really enjoy the series.

If I had to pick a favorite story arc it would be Grasscutter.
    Im looking to pick up Vol. 1-7 TPBs so I can read the original 30some issue series... Ive heard Grasscutter and Circles are top notch arcs. (grasscutter of course being later on)

Quote Originally Posted by tfranzone View Post
    Im looking to pick up Vol. 1-7 TPBs so I can read the original 30some issue series... Ive heard Grasscutter and Circles are top notch arcs. (grasscutter of course being later on)
    While you can read Circles as a stand alone, it's best enjoyed reading it after Volumes 2-5, and getting familiar with the characters and "universe."

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Winslow View Post
    While you can read Circles as a stand alone, it's best enjoyed reading it after Volumes 2-5, and getting familiar with the characters and "universe."

definitely.. I'm looking to buy volumes 1 through 7. circles being vol.6

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by tfranzone View Post
    definitely.. I'm looking to buy volumes 1 through 7. circles being vol.6
    Just an update.. I just got fantagraphics vol. 1 2 and 3 (1 was second printing and 2 & 3 were first printings) for $20 off eBay. Also, found vol. 4 and 5 first prints for $15 a piece.. don't know if thats worth it though. could buy the IDW reprints for like $12 each on amazon.. although, the first prints from fantagraphics ARE cool