Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Usagi Yojimbo

^Welcome aboard!

Yup, you couldn't have chosen a better time to become a fan, with all these affordable omnibus editions collecting everything. Used to, there was always a couple of volumes out of print at any given time, which was very frustrating!

I started the second saga volume earlier. It's all so exceptional but two personal favourites are Shi and The Withered Field. I've learnt that a stand out story of Usagi Yojimbo is only .1% better than all the others. The quality is so high it's almost a spiritual experience reading it.

my copy of volume 3 of saga has shipped from indigo!

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
    my copy of volume 3 of saga has shipped from indigo!
    The delivery guy just came with my Vol 3 HC, I'm so happy right now. Really thrilled that Dark Horse was able to release all five volumes so quick unlike Marvel and their omnibus shenanigans. I have the first 3 volumes and have volume 4 and 5 on preorder. I also preordered the Usagi special edition TPB reprint (sadly no nice hardcover reprint but beggars can't be choosers). That should cover everything I think. I started reading Usagi with Senso so I should be all caught up soon.
    Anne Bonnie, Princess Ugg, Five Ghosts, Saga, Rat Queens, Groo, Goon, Usagi Yojimbo, Sixth Gun, Wasteland, Courtney Crumrin, Jonah Hex, Walking Dead, Manifest Destiny, God Hates Astronauts, Spread, Fearless Dawn, Nailbiter, Copperhead, Stray Bullets, Birthright, Bone, Lazarus

Is there anything better than sitting down and reading a new Usagi adventure? I've been letting my comics pile up, and finally got around to reading 145-147, The Thief and the Kunoichi, which was a classic romp of an Usagi story.

... and more importantly: my letter was printed in 146!

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Angilasman--very cool!
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    Is there anything better than sitting down and reading a new Usagi adventure? I've been letting my comics pile up, and finally got around to reading 145-147, The Thief and the Kunoichi, which was a classic romp of an Usagi story.

... and more importantly: my letter was printed in 146!
    I got a letter printed in a past issue of Usagi and remember thinking it was the coolest thing...despite having had other letters printed in other comics before. So congrats on your letter getting printed.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

"The One-Armed Swordsman" was a perfect, self-contained Usagi story. I'll bet we see that character again, maybe in the next epic storyline that tends to collect so many supporting players.

Speaking of which, I hope we'll see Sakura again soon (introduced in 2008's #111), as Stan cruelly teased a very interesting story to her that wasn't elaborated on at all.

Battle Through Time Samurai Jack's Avatar

"The One-Armed Swordsman" was a perfect, self-contained Usagi story. I'll bet we see that character again, maybe in the next epic storyline that tends to collect so many supporting players.

Speaking of which, I hope we'll see Sakura again soon (introduced in 2008's #111), as Stan cruelly teased a very interesting story to her that wasn't elaborated on at all.
    This is the first issue of Usagi Yojimbo I have ever read. It was a pretty well told story, from beginning to end. I like the old-armed swordsman and hope that won't be his only appearance.

Usagi Yojimbo would make a great animated series. One thing I'm curious about though is why is the comic not in color? It's not bad at all that it is black and white, but having it in color would be interesting to see.
    Top 10 Favorite Comics as of September 2019
    Image: Unnatural, Isola, Monstress
    Marvel: Magnificent Ms. Marvel
    IDW: Samurai Jack: Lost Worlds
    Other: Chuck Mullin's Bird Brain, Huda F's "Yes, I'm Hot in This," Nathan W. Pyle's Strange Planet, Dirk Manning & K. Lynn Smith's Hope, Samurai Grandpa

Just read the newest Usagi. Power to One-arm, finally getting his payback and thus saving others by doing so. Also cool to see a quick play of weapon usage.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Jack View Post
    This is the first issue of Usagi Yojimbo I have ever read. It was a pretty well told story, from beginning to end. I like the old-armed swordsman and hope that won't be his only appearance.

Usagi Yojimbo would make a great animated series. One thing I'm curious about though is why is the comic not in color? It's not bad at all that it is black and white, but having it in color would be interesting to see.
    I suppose it's because it's been traditionally in b&w, and Stan probably has become accustom to the simplicity of an issue's production (he writes, pencils, inks, and letters each issue by hand). Usagi started out during the black and white boom of the '80s, went into color for a short run in the mid-'90s (after the b&w boom was seen as old-hat, even the famously b&w TMNT went color at this time), and there have been a couple of color specials here and there.

In 2009 Sakai did a short Usagi graphic novel called Yokai that was done entirely in watercolor, and last year there was a special Usagi color issue that collected a few color short stories that had been published in various places in the last few years (mostly in Dark Horse Presents).

Fun Fact: the Usagi color series from the mid-'90s will likely never be reprinted in color because the materials were lost due to flood at then-publisher Mirage Studios.

Battle Through Time Samurai Jack's Avatar

In 2009 Sakai did a short Usagi graphic novel called Yokai that was done entirely in watercolor, and last year there was a special Usagi color issue that collected a few color short stories that had been published in various places in the last few years (mostly in Dark Horse Presents).
    I'll have to check this book out sometime. A samurai comic done entirely in watercolor sounds pretty cool to me.
    Top 10 Favorite Comics as of September 2019
    Image: Unnatural, Isola, Monstress
    Marvel: Magnificent Ms. Marvel
    IDW: Samurai Jack: Lost Worlds
    Other: Chuck Mullin's Bird Brain, Huda F's "Yes, I'm Hot in This," Nathan W. Pyle's Strange Planet, Dirk Manning & K. Lynn Smith's Hope, Samurai Grandpa

I've put in an order for Darkhorse Usagi Saga vol 1. It's been a long time coming.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Jack View Post
    I'll have to check this book out sometime. A samurai comic done entirely in watercolor sounds pretty cool to me.
    It's out of print at the moment! But it'll be in an upcoming Usagi Yojimbo Saga collection.

---Edit---

Correction: it won't be a part of the 'Saga' series. Here's Stan himself on his own website:

The plan is to publish Space Usagi, Senso, and Yokai in an omnibus edition. It will not be called "Saga" though, because they are not part of the regular UY continuity. We are considering different titles such as Kagemusha, Adventures, Monogatari, and others. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Angilasman; 09-28-2015 at 10:09 PM.