Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Usagi Yojimbo

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

About issue 148, though, “one of one”—is it a tease about the ‘one-armed swordsman’ character, Mizuna Takashi? The line is used on the cover and inside-cover, too. I thought that was pretty funny.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

The Claw of Justice!

The latest Usagi issue was indeed great. Regarding Usagi being in black and white, I actually prefer it that way. I used to like it better in color, but for whatever reason I changed my mind. I think part of it has to do with the way things are drawn; for example, a sunrise is shown with an arrangement of lines coming over the horizon, instead of an orange glow. The interesting solutions to how to show things like that in black and white fascinate me.

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    About issue 148, though, “one of one”—is it a tease about the ‘one-armed swordsman’ character, Mizuna Takashi? The line is used on the cover and inside-cover, too. I thought that was pretty funny.
    It's the same on the cover of the next issue, another single issue story. Apparently they want to make it easy for potential customers to know whether an issue is part of a story arc or whatever.

Big time UY's fan (as you may guess from avatar and nickname ).

I've been collecting all the Fantagraphics/Dark Horse TB however I'm having a bad luck with the last volumes. I live in Europe and I can't find volumes 20 to 24, which is stupid because they are some of the most recent. So basically I'm just waiting either to go to the US (which won't happen soon) or for someone to go the US and buy them for me. Does anyone know why the most recents volumes are so hard to find? Is it the same in the US?

In the mean time, I read Senso (which was really good) and occasionally re-read some older volumes. This series is so good. It has it all. Great characters, great storylines, action and drama, great drawings and dialogues. And I've never been too much interested in Japanese culture. But the way Sakai tells his stories is so compelling that really sparkled so much interest and curiosity over Japan's customs. This series is one of my all time favourite and I recommend it every time I can.

Quote Originally Posted by yojimbo View Post

I've been collecting all the Fantagraphics/Dark Horse TB however I'm having a bad luck with the last volumes. I live in Europe and I can't find volumes 20 to 24, which is stupid because they are some of the most recent. So basically I'm just waiting either to go to the US (which won't happen soon) or for someone to go the US and buy them for me. Does anyone know why the most recents volumes are so hard to find? Is it the same in the US?
    Yeah, Dark Horse's "Usagi Yojimbo Saga" omnibuses (which collect 3 trades each) are becoming the standard reprints for the older material and they're letting the old volumes fall out of print. If you really want 20 - 24 you'll have to buy they from third party sellers, but if you don't care about your collection changing formats, Usagi Yojimbo Saga vol. 5 comes out this December and collects 20, 21, & 22. Saga vol 6 comes out in May and collects 23, 24, & 25.

The original format paperback volumes will still be released to collect the newest material.

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    Yeah, Dark Horse's "Usagi Yojimbo Saga" omnibuses (which collect 3 trades each) are becoming the standard reprints for the older material and they're letting the old volumes fall out of print. If you really want 20 - 24 you'll have to buy they from third party sellers, but if you don't care about your collection changing formats, Usagi Yojimbo Saga vol. 5 comes out this December and collects 20, 21, & 22. Saga vol 6 comes out in May and collects 23, 24, & 25.

The original format paperback volumes will still be released to collect the newest material.
    Thanks for the answer.

This is quite disappoint I have to say. I wouldn't mind too much the different numbering, so much as the size is different at that kinda bump me out. I could easily just re-buy all the omnibus, but then what to do with the old volumes?
    Plus, with the omnibus edition it means I'll have wait more between volumes, unless they start doing them smaller.

I'll think about what to do, but this is not great

Quote Originally Posted by yojimbo View Post

I stopped buying the TPBs around then and may have what you are looking for if you are interested? I'm not sure what shipping would be though. Send a private message if so.

The Claw of Justice!

What did everyone think of #151?
    I really liked it. Usagi Yojimbo continues to be the best book on the stands!

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

after reading 151:

Maybe this sounds odd, but y’know? Usagi seems older to me, looks older, as if all the years of his publication are much like the years his wandering has encompassed. Does he seem older to you? Did you decide to draw him as older, did it ‘just happen,’ or is just I’m that much older myself?
    Usagi now ‘will not put himself in danger without a reason,’ when, I believe, many years younger Usagi would have found ‘damsel in distress’ reason enough.

I’m glad you take time for conversation between characters, not just ‘plot advancing dialogue,’ but conversation in which readers and characters both learn deeper-background, as Usagi discovers merchant class and samurai share similar customs.

And, of course, I’m always glad to see every new issue. Usagi’s the best.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Quote Originally Posted by LobsterJohnson View Post
    What did everyone think of #151?
    I really liked it. Usagi Yojimbo continues to be the best book on the stands!

Loved it! The only mark against it is that I read it and #150 in the same setting and that kind of sucked up all the oxygen in the room because I think "Death of a Tea Master" will go down as one of the all-time great Usagi stories.

... I do have two comments about #151, though:

- The issue takes place in this mountainous, foresty space and the backgrounds are so lovingly rendered!
    - This story continues the Usagi tradition of an epilogue after Usagi has left which reveals there was more to the situation than Usagi knew. Stan's a master of this storytelling device, and it never fails to put a nice little button on the end of a tale.

Gots No Chi Danny Rand's Other Fist's Avatar

Been meaning to check out Usagi Yojimbo for quite a while but never really put the time and effort (and money, ha) into it. But I've had a crappy day, I like animal ninja (so, basically the Turtles) and I feel like it's time for me to jump in and get involved in this comic.

Usually buy floppies, but obviously with there being so many trades out, I think it's best to go that route.

I shall keep people updated (I'm sure you can't wait) as I go along.

^Honestly, the last few issues are self contained and are perfect jumping on points... but that's just Stan's style: it's so accessible you could conceivably jump on in the middle of a big storyline.

Apparently, the issue that came out today was originally done before the hiatus four years ago, but was held back because Stan thought it would fit better later.

Can't wait to get to the comic shop and pick it up this weekend!

The Claw of Justice!

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    Apparently, the issue that came out today was originally done before the hiatus four years ago, but was held back because Stan thought it would fit better later.

Can't wait to get to the comic shop and pick it up this weekend!
    You won't be disappointed. It's a great issue. I love the stories that have rain in them.
    I read a lot of new comics this week. I read this, the Where is Jake Ellis tpb, and the Batman: The Doom that Came to Gotham tpb. Good week!

^It was a great issue! I love how the story started in medias res, not wasting time to clarify how Usagi met these people and assumed command of them when they were in peril, and (SPOILERS!) no wonder Stan held off on this issue, as it ends on a cliffhanger!

... and in the letters column Stan mentions more foreign characters being introduced, laying the groundwork for a big, multi-part story - though he says he's got a few long-gestating stories to get through before then. Really exciting stuff! I'll say it again: Stan's been on fire since his return. Though Usagi has always been great, I've thought that the series' peak period (when Stan was knocking out classics practically every issue) was something like the mid-'90s to early '00s, but in my opinion this last year of stories has been equal to that in strength!