Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default The game that "changed" you

So let's get a little existential.

For every gamer in the world, there is one video game that changed them, one that they look back upon and attribute many things about themselves to them, whether it be their gaming careers or they themselves as a person. They have many reasons why they consider this game the one that they look back upon more than any other, and it could be for any number of reasons, be they nostalgia, changing their outlook, or perhaps even changing their lives.

For me personally, Final Fantasy IX is that game.

I have played plenty of games prior to IX, certainly, but IX changed my outlook completely on them. IX was the first game I ever played that had an intricate story with development, a world onto itself, and characters that just seemed to spring to life out of the disc and the TV. It was also the first RPG game I ever played, the first Final Fantasy game I ever played, and the game that firmly established my love for video game soundtracks.

It made me realize and firmly believe that video games are more than games, more than just manufactured electronic apparatuses that are used to waste time or unwind. It made me realize that video games had potential for as much love, respect and admiration as any TV show, movie or book. The amount of effort that was made into Final Fantasy IX opened my eyes and appreciated the people who toiled endlessly for months on end to try and release a quality piece of work.

So for others on here, what is that "one" game for you?

What do you mean by "gaming career"?

I have to disagree with what you're saying, Xalfrea - there isn't a game out there that "changed" me.

I have spent/wasted (depending on perspective) a hell of a lot of time on games though, and at the minute I'm playing Dragon Quest 6 on my trusty old DS, though have to admit that sometimes, it seems ridiculous to while away hours just using Whistle to fight monsters so that I can level up.

Actually, it's totally ridiculous... but the TV's not really a better way to unwind.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Majora's Mask.

Completely changed how I view people.

Silly as it may sound... this game for me is probably Tetris Attack on the Super Nintendo.

I wouldn't say it really "changed" me, but that game was practically my whole childhood. I played hours and hours and hours of that game with my older brother and cousins over Summer and Winter vacations from school at my grandma's house and it's still one of those games that makes me smile every time I play it. It's just really special to me and there are so many wonderful memories I associate with it and that time in my life.
    Harley Quinn, New Suicide Squad, Grayson, Batgirl, Red Sonja, The Mighty Thor, Catwoman, Bitch Planet, Secret Six, Silk, Descender, Sabrina, Archie, JLA, DC Bombshells, Black Magick, Paper Girls, Tokyo Ghost, Vampirella, Scarlet Witch, A-Force, Extraordinary X-Men, X-Men '92, The Legend of Wonder Woman, All-New Wolverine, Power Rangers, Hellcat, Monstress, Descender

Incredible Member a moment closer's Avatar

That game for me was Final Fantasy X. I really got into the story with that one. So much so that I cried a couple times before getting to the end. I still remember the moment I realized the truth of the story. It was somewhere near the end before the game got to the final battles. I figured it out and had to stop playing for a few days. I felt like I was mourning the loss of the title character's life. Tidus was his name (I had to wiki it) I didn't want to get to the end and have it become true that he was already dead. It took a lot out of me to get through that last couple of stages, beat the game, and watch the end. I waited a month or so and played it again. I made some different choices but it was still so good and yet bittersweet. The best couple of months ever spent on a game.

I had lost a couple family members before it came out and a friend of mine had lost his Mother to cancer. He played the game before I did and had a similar reaction to it based off the themes. He pressed me to play it, it opened up dialogue between us, helped us get through some of the grief. We talked about higher concepts of life and existence that I had never dreamed of before playing FFX. It was truly beautiful.

It also changed my perspective on the quality a video game could possess and that there were benefits beyond simple entertainment from participating in playing certain games.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    Majora's Mask.

Completely changed how I view people.
    Majora's Mask used to freak me out as a kid. I dunno if it "changed" me, but I've never been that psychologically moved by a game.

Alexander (not)Luthor Jr AlexG.'s Avatar
    Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground (My house)

I would say that the one game that made a huge impression on me was the first Kingdom Hearts on PS2. Even though it was released in 2002, and I still didn't own a PS2 at the time, the moment I saw that spot on TV (kinda bizarre for a game ad to be broadcast on Greek tv, but I guess it did since it had Disney on it), it was engraved on my heart.

Time passed, and I forgot about it, since I had a huge backlog of games to play on my PSone. I got a silver PS2 in 2004 (for Christmas), but all I had to play on it was a demo disc. Maybe it was fate, but that one had a trailer for KH. When I saw it, I was reminded of that game that had interested me 2 years ago. So I rent it and then was amazed by how dark and mysterious and funny and bright and cheerful it was (being 12, I hadn't seen many scary things in videogames; that Darkside was scaring the bejeezus out of me every time I encountered it). It was the first game I bought on that console and the first story-based one (fighter games excluded) I completed. And the only game where I actually cried at the end.

Ten years later, and I'm still a big fan of the franchise, even though the multitude of consoles the games were on made it a bit difficult for me to follow. I still haven't gotten to playing 3D yet, but at some point I'm gonna get a 3DS (or a New 3DS, it seems) and play it.

Quote Originally Posted by Xalfrea View Post
    For me personally, Final Fantasy IX is that game.
    I also owe finding Final Fantasy to it. And though it wasn't included in the first KH, FFIX is still my favorite FF of all time, followed by FFXII. So fistbump Xalfrea!
    Last edited by AlexG.; 12-03-2014 at 04:36 PM.

tony hawk's pro skater 2 got me hooked on video games.

the game that change my life would be league of legends..i learn how to micromanage my time, stuff i do apply in life now :P

Probably Super Mario Sunshine. First video game I ever completely beat, and it had a huge impact on me. It was a very creative work that I still think about and play to this day.

Recently, I've been replaying through the Metal Gear Solid series, and dang is that quite an experience! Probably one of the, if not the single, greatest video game plotlines ever.

Also, the Assassin's Creed series has had a lot of key ideas that have change my philosophy and outlook on humanity, society, history, and the importance of life itself. The series has been a huge influence on my creative output.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

I remember I had slowly withdrew from games for a number of years. I had slowly started moving away from the mid 1990's. Then this game shocked me. A buddy of mine bought it ...and I was stunned how great it was. It brought me back into playing video games.

"The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

BANNED

Silent Hill.

took my love of survival horror games and love of scary stories and movies to the next level.

it was the first game to give me nightmares.

I am hopeful that Silent Hills will bring the series back to it's former glory.

BANNED

Metal Gear Solid. Made me a stealth lover, and made me really appreciate how games can tell great stories.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexG. View Post
    I would say that the one game that made a huge impression on me was the first Kingdom Hearts on PS2.
    I was captivated beyond belief by that game when it first came out. I remember playing it at my friend's house, sharing the experience and boss battles. Once I got it, I played it as much as I could. I remember drawing and designing my own key blades, dreaming of having a deep connection with someone like Sora does with Kairi and pretending I would battle my own dark self. I remember stalking Gamespot for new updates on the sequel and wishing time would go faster so I could have play the next installment.

Now I am waiting for Kingdom Hearts 3. I am not one to stay up for an overnight release, but I will for that game when the day comes.

Superman`s Thong

Dune 2 from Amiga. from 90s.. I spent a whole 3 months on my Amiga in the summer. and then the following summers went with some other games, too. but all started with Dune 2.. still I play Real Time Strategy games because of this game. I started reading science fiction with this game, too. It added many valuables things into my life. Like the joy of reading science fiction and that opened up many other doors. So I can definitely say that this game changed my life.