Default Dust Jacket covers

I may be going a bit over the top, but does anybody use anything to protect the dust jackets on their books, have seen a couple of sellers on eBay saying they have covered the jackets in a protector and have looked at some protectors on Amazon, just wondering if anyone else has done it and if it looks ok?

BANNED

a dust jacket for your dust jacket?

Quote Originally Posted by William300 View Post
    a dust jacket for your dust jacket?
    more of a laminate to cover the jacket, protect it from rips and scuffs, this sort of stuff..... http://www.shopbrodart.com/book-covers/permanent/

I use Brodart Just-a-fold 12" or 14" on some OHC and Omnibuses. It made The X-men omnibus 1 look better since the dust jacket is matte unlike others. You can always take it off if you don't like it. Just don't use the adhesive ones.

Quote Originally Posted by madhouse View Post
    I use Brodart Just-a-fold 12" or 14" on some OHC and Omnibuses. It made The X-men omnibus 1 look better since the dust jacket is matte unlike others. You can always take it off if you don't like it. Just don't use the adhesive ones.
    cheers, i will give it a try

BANNED

I use the Brodart ones as well on all my HCs. It keeps them nice and if there is any minor bit of wear, it makes it so it doesn't get any worse. I can post pics tomorrow of some examples of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Kandor Rising View Post
    I use the Brodart ones as well on all my HCs. It keeps them nice and if there is any minor bit of wear, it makes it so it doesn't get any worse. I can post pics tomorrow of some examples of mine.
    That would be appreciated, thanks

On a related note, and I hope Hellboydce won't mind me hijacking the tread just a bit, does anybody have a suggestion where can I print a dustjacket? I have a Marvel premier hc without one and thought about printing a dj for it but only if I can manage to do it for cheap. Nothing fancy, just something to cover the book (I would design it I only need a printer basically)

I've used both brodart and demco. They're the same I think I can't notice a difference. I really like them because even just taking the books out to reread they do scuff a lot against each other. And when I take my omnibi to conventions to get sketches inside it helps a ton.
    Action, ANXM, ASM, Aquaman, AatO, Avengers, Batgirl, Batman, B+R, Det, GA, GL, JL, JLD, JLU, Sinestro, SM/WW, Swamp Thing, Thor

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    On a related note, and I hope Hellboydce won't mind me hijacking the tread just a bit, does anybody have a suggestion where can I print a dustjacket? I have a Marvel premier hc without one and thought about printing a dj for it but only if I can manage to do it for cheap. Nothing fancy, just something to cover the book (I would design it I only need a printer basically)
    It helps if you work at a print company........in the pre press dept.

No help I know, justsayin
    Mixes/Contact Info: http://chojin.devour.org

Quote Originally Posted by Chojin View Post
    It helps if you work at a print company........in the pre press dept.

No help I know, justsayin
    I was applying for a pre press operator job like 6 months ago but didn't get it
    I thought it's gonna be okay having the book without the dj, because it was cheap, but sloooowly it starts to drive me crazy.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I was applying for a pre press operator job like 6 months ago but didn't get it
    I thought it's gonna be okay having the book without the dj, because it was cheap, but sloooowly it starts to drive me crazy.
    I don't know what you guys have in Scotland, but in America we had a business here called Kinkos which was where you could go and get printings and copies made of things for businesses, school projects, personal reasons, etc. FedEx bought them and now they're called FedEx Office. The UPS Store locations also offer printing services, but I'm not sure if they're as robust as FedEx Office. Our "big box" office supply stores like Staples/Office Depot/Office Max (I believe they're all owned by Staples now) also have printing services at their locations. The consumer warehouse store Costco has a photo printing department that can print things like posters so I'd imagine you could probably find a way to do a dust jacket through them. There are also some online services like VistaPrint.

You're going to run into two problems though:

1. If you're going to try and recreate the official Marvel dust jacket, you'll probably fail. Very rarely are you going to find a full 300 dpi scan of a comic book dust jacket online. So anything you print will likely come out in a poor quality.

2. Copyright laws and counterfeiting laws. At least in the US, all of the above businesses are very hesitant to let you print things with other company's copyrights on them. If you're literally just printing a single dust jacket, they might allow it, as opposed to say, printing 100 posters with Spider-Man on them, because clearly you're not the license holder for Spider-Man posters. They really get nervous when you print anything that has UPC codes or looks like a commercial product, because they think you're going to use what you print as part of a counterfeit product and commit fraud, even if you say it's just for personal use.

Now, some places might not care, or you might slip through the cracks and get away with it.

And I can't imagine the cost of printing a single dust jacket on thick enough glossy paper would be very economical. You might be better off finding an ex-library copy, cleaning up the dust jacket, and then selling or donating the library copy of the book and keeping your better condition copy.
    Last edited by kodave; 04-28-2015 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kodave View Post
    I don't know what you guys have in Scotland, but in America we had a business here called Kinkos which was where you could go and get printings and copies made of things for businesses, school projects, personal reasons, etc. FedEx bought them and now they're called FedEx Office. The UPS Store locations also offer printing services, but I'm not sure if they're as robust as FedEx Office. Our "big box" office supply stores like Staples/Office Depot/Office Max (I believe they're all owned by Staples now) also have printing services at their locations. The consumer warehouse store Costco has a photo printing department that can print things like posters so I'd imagine you could probably find a way to do a dust jacket through them. There are also some online services like VistaPrint.

You're going to run into two problems though:

1. If you're going to try and recreate the official Marvel dust jacket, you'll probably fail. Very rarely are you going to find a full 300 dpi scan of a comic book just jacket online. So anything you print will likely come out in a poor quality.

2. Copyright laws and counterfeiting laws. At least in the US, all of the above businesses are very hesitant to let you print things with other company's copyrights on them. If you're literally just printing a single dust jacket, they might allow it, as opposed to say, printing 100 posters with Spider-Man on them, because clearly you're not the license holder for Spider-Man posters. They really get nervous when you print anything that has UPC codes or looks like a commercial product, because they think you're going to use what you print as part of a counterfeit product and commit fraud, even if you say it's just for personal use.

Now, some places might not care, or you might slip through the cracks and get away with it.

And I can't imagine the cost of printing a single dust jacket on thick enough glossy paper would be very economical. You might be better off finding an ex-library copy, cleaning up the dust jacket, and then selling or donating the library copy of the book and keeping your better condition copy.
    the copyright thing is not a problem, I just design a simple but effective one, I can do that, I'm not too bothered if it won't look like a proper Marvel one , I just want a dj, that's all. The cost on the other hand could be a problem.
    But it still looks better on the shelf without a dj than the Hatchette Dredd hc-s (which I'm gonna sell in the near future) or the Ultimate Marvel GN collection DD-Born again hc (which I'm not getting rid of until Marvel releases the story in ohc or reprints the prem hc).
    Thanks for the detailed answer!