Default Convergence Adventures of Superman #1 Spoilers/Discussion

The Convergence minis showcase the characters as they appeared in previous continuities. This most recent Wednesday, one such showcase was on pre-Crisis Earth-1 Superman and Supergirl.

I want to start with some positives. I liked the art. It's always clear what's happening. The characters's faces are greatly expressive. I particularly like how the flight patterns and eye movements help guide the reader's eyes across the page. There are a few faults--I don't care for Supergirl's face in panel 2 of page 3, she's inexplicably colored as Bizarro white for a panel, and the cover gives her a blue skirt--but these are all minor.

I've seen others express that they missed the relationship between the cousins. I'm inclined to feel the same. They feel so tight knit here, so well-bonded. They depend on each other, they love each other, they act to bolster the other. They feel like family, and I don't think we've ever had such a relationship between them since.

My problem, though, is that this story seems to defy the premise of Convergence and the structure of the universe it's intended to be about. The story is predominantly about Superman and Supergirl as they travel into the Phantom Zone--the Earth-1 Phantom Zone. Apparently, a week prior to the start of the comic, a Phantom Zone criminal escaped into the dome of Earth-1 Gotham City. The Supers suspect there's a rift somewhere, and that that rift might allow them to get back to their universe.

I feel like a breach from the Phantom Zone goes against the conceit of Convergence. We were led to believe that Telos is in a place separate from everywhere else. That only those cities or champions saved could find themselves there. (Or, in the case of the post-Flashpoint Superman, following a Brainiac through a black hole.) It would be easy to suggest that this isn't the Earth-1 Phantom Zone. It's certainly never portrayed to be. This Phantom Zone contains no phantoms, nor Mon-El. So maybe it is some Zone tied to Telos. However, neither Superman nor Supergirl remark on this Zone being unusual. So we're to presume that this is the Zone these characters are used to. This made my reading experience more than a tad frustrating. I know it hasn't always been the most consistent of places, and the basic tenement of them being perpetual telepathic ghosts has probably been violated somewhere, but to get the relationship between the characters so right, this feels so wrong.

For some reason, traveling to the Zone means they regain their powers, despite the Zone having no sun. It's always been my understanding that the Kryptonians trapped inside only gain powers once they find their way out and experience Earth's yellow sun. It doesn't remove powers, sure.

Also for some reason, Supergirl experiences gasses that show her the future. This works to help us understand Supergirl and how she feels about her cousin, but the issue seems to suggest this is the sole reason she rescues Clark and tries to escape. "We have to go back...so I can save him... so he can save the universe." Yet, even without a vision for the future, Supergirl would still work just as hard. The vision of the future is inexplicable and it seems to have no discernible impact on the overall plot. It allows for some emotional turmoil in Supergirl and that's all.

Finally, this mission into the Phantom Zone means that Superman and Supergirl aren't there when Telos speaks, aren't there when the dome falls, and aren't there when the city is attacked. One would think, in matching up these various battles, that Telos would notice when two of his chosen champions have suddenly vanished from his surface, but this is not addressed. Perhaps it will be next issue.

Basically, I enjoy the art and like the characters' relationship, but find little merit in the rest of the comic. Such a shame.

Strictly speaking for me and me alone, I think the strongest message I'm getting out of Convergence is you can't go home again.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

It was a weird matchup too, like the Kamandi verse vs pre crisis Kryptonians? To quote rumbles, CURBSTOMP
    Brad Pitt for Grifter in a WildCATS movie

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Strictly speaking for me and me alone, I think the strongest message I'm getting out of Convergence is you can't go home again.
    Yeah. The only tie in I've read that exceeded expectations IMO was CONVERGENCE: SUPERMAN. The rest has been underwhelming.

My feelings of CONVERGENCE:AOS mirror's Joe Acro's. It was nice to see a Kara and Kal act like, you know, family again...and the art was great. the rest was mediocre.